• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes New Scope: Looking for Advice

buyobuyo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Camden, AR
I have a CZ 452 American coming, so I'm in the market for a new scope.

This rifle will primarily be used for training for my centerfire hunting rifle and small game hunting. I don't foresee doing shooting out past 100yds with it.

What I'm looking for in a scope is:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Low Mag: 4 or less[*]High Mag: 10 or more[*]40-50mm Objective[*]AO or SF[*]30mm Tube (not needed but nice to have)[*]Illumination (not needed but nice to have)[/list]

I have a rangefinder, so I'm fine with a Plex/German#4-style reticle. If I do go with a Mil-Dot reticle, it needs to have mil adjustments.

My budget is $400. So far, I've found scopes with these features in my price range from Nikon, Bushnell, Vortex, Falcon, Hawke, Wonder, and Millet. Comments/opinions on product quality from these companies or other companies to check out/avoid is greatly appreciated. Also, suggestions/comments on my wish list are welcome as I'm flying by the seat of my pants. My only other scope is an older, mystery brand fixed power that came with my hunting rifle.

Thanks

Re: New Scope: Looking for Advice

For a .22Lr trainer here what I recommend:

Falcon Menace 4-14x44

Reason:

30 MM Tube
FFP
Enhanced Mil-Dot reticle
Mil/MIL adjustments
Side focus AO, w/ a Clear focus down to 10 yds, is very important in a rimfire.
Won't break the bank.

Thanks for the reply Bob. What are your thoughts on the EMD reticle versus the ML16 reticle? when I was looking at Falcon's site, I was thinking the ML16 seemed less busy.

I'll need to see if I can find some mil-dot scopes to look through the next time I'm in Albuquerque.

If your using the scope as a trainer, then the EMD reticle is very similar to a Gen II Mildot, and is analogous to the standard Mil-Dot reticle.

If you learn to use it well, then transitioning to your big-boy scope should be pain free.

The ML16 is very similar to NF's MLR reticle, Vortex PST's MIL based offerings & IOR's MP8, if you leaning that way, however.

I'm a bit luke-warm when it comes to ghost style posts, like on the ML-16, but that's my prejudice, buy what makes you feel comfortable, and not me.

Bob

I have been using hawke scopes for a few years now. their glass far exceeds millet and is on par maybe even better than my nikon monarch. They have software matched reticles so you can accuratly use a hold over. They even have a reticle that you can print to fit inside your flip ups for quick reference

If you buy a Falcon, RW Snyder gunsmithing tends to have better prices than SWFA... however, SWFA has 110% price match so take advantage of that!