• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Scope Purchase, Need Input

Amazingrandy1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
Massachusetts
Hey everyone, here is another "im buying a new scope and need help post." Well I have narrowed the field to my top six, and would like to get some input as to which one you would go with and why. This new optic will be going on my new MPA BMR Pro for PRS competitions. I have already taken all of their features, weight, length, etc into consideration. Im keeping dollar amount out of the discussion, as the price of each optic is within my price range. Any insight is appreciated.

1. Leupold MK5HD 5-25X56 M5C3 PR2-MIL
2. Athlon Conus BTR GenII 4.5-29X56 APRS6 IR
6. Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS3 6-36X56 G4P ret.

Last edited:
GA Precision has XRS3s in stock as of today. I've got one on my PRS rifle and have been extremely happy with it. It's a significant upgrade in glass over the previous generation XRS, plus the new reticle is about perfect for PRS matches (IMO).

Any of those will work and have great glass. You need to compile your needs and wants as far as features and reticle. For instance, with Nightforce, the entire ocular housing rotates with magnification. So if you have lens covers they rotate to. Just an example of one feature. Size of markings on elevation turret, the feel of the turrets, etc are biggies.

GA Precision has XRS3s in stock as of today. I've got one on my PRS rifle and have been extremely happy with it. It's a significant upgrade in glass over the previous generation XRS, plus the new reticle is about perfect for PRS matches (IMO).

I just saw that they had them. I was impressed with the write ups on it. Good to know that someone has been using one. Thanks for the input.

Any of those will work and have great glass. You need to compile your needs and wants as far as features and reticle. For instance, with Nightforce, the entire ocular housing rotates with magnification. So if you have lens covers they rotate to. Just an example of one feature. Size of markings on elevation turret, the feel of the turrets, etc are biggies.

Thank you. All of that was taken into consideration. Its a tough decision out of those six optics.

I would strike out both of those Nightforce, personally; the 2.5-20 is optically challenged for the price, and the 4-32 reticle is invisible at low power and too thick at high power. Plus tunneling and finicky eyebox. That’s the inexpensive tradeoff for high zoom ratios, fwiw.

I’d also strike out the Leupold because every one of the Mark 5HDs I’ve looked through had significant chromatic aberration, which I’m pretty sensitive to.

I had the Cronus before I got my ZC527, and it’s a good scope. I liked the reticles, I liked the glass, I liked the usable elevation, I like having illumination, and durability was fine - I kept zero through several drops/etc.

The XRS3 apparently blows the Cronus out of the water optically, at the expense of illumination, some elevation, and some FOV at the low end; the DMR3 is apparently pretty similar aside from zoom/FOV. I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of those 3.

I would strike out both of those Nightforce, personally; the 2.5-20 is optically challenged for the price, and the 4-32 reticle is invisible at low power and too thick at high power. Plus tunneling and finicky eyebox. That’s the inexpensive tradeoff for high zoom ratios, fwiw.

I’d also strike out the Leupold because every one of the Mark 5HDs I’ve looked through had significant chromatic aberration, which I’m pretty sensitive to.

I had the Cronus before I got my ZC527, and it’s a good scope. I liked the reticles, I liked the glass, I liked the usable elevation, I like having illumination, and durability was fine - I kept zero through several drops/etc.

The XRS3 apparently blows the Cronus out of the water optically, at the expense of illumination, some elevation, and some FOV at the low end; the DMR3 is apparently pretty similar aside from zoom/FOV. I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of those 3.

Thanks for the info about NF and Leupold. Definitely things I will need to consider.

In real Estate it is location, location, location

In a scope it is reticle, reticle, reticle. If the features of the scopes are on par, to you, then it comes first and foremost to which reticle you like the best. If you don't love the reticle you'll never love the scope. It is what you're always looking at and using.
As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss scopes and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes

Reactions: BytorJr
#6, then #1, or an XTR3 above all of them. NX8 has comparatively poor glass, which becomes apparent @500 yds and beyond.

I could live with any of them but I go where I can get the best deal. So which one of those could you get 50% off of in the next two months lol

Thank you for all of the feedback everyone. I have narrowed down the field to three. I recently read that the Bushnell XRS3 does not tunnel. I dont like the tunneling effect. Would anyone be able to tell me if the Leupold or Cronus experience a tunneling effect?

Thank you for all of the feedback everyone. I have narrowed down the field to three. I recently read that the Bushnell XRS3 does not tunnel. I dont like the tunneling effect. Would anyone be able to tell me if the Leupold or Cronus experience a tunneling effect?

I can confirm the XRS3 does not have a tunneling effect at the bottom end. That said, I doubt you'd ever run any of those at minimum magnification in a PRS match.