• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New scope....round three

reeljob

Pastor
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Galax, VA
Even though I have been hunting and shooting since a very young age and reloading for about the last twelve years I have found out the hard way that what may work for one application may not work out for another. I started out new to the Long Range game about six months ago. I purchased a rifle and scope with expectations to shoot the wings off a gnat at a 1000 in no time flat. I now have two rifles, both of which are shooters, but I have found out the hard way not to take the optics too lightly. First was the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 SF with Mildot,a great scope for the money but it just don't make the grade I am searching for. This scope will probaly find a home on my 22-250 soon. Then came the Millett 6-25x56 Buckgold new generation, The 1/8" clicks mean excessive dialing,The glass is clear for the money, and repeatability is close but not exact. I am worried over time repeatability will be more of an issue the more it is dialed. This scope will either wind up on my back-up stick or on the Hide for sale.So now now it is round three. I picked up a leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 mildot yesterday and zeroed it today. I have found my glass. So for the long and short of it.... All you newbies, buy the FIRST time the <span style="font-weight: bold">VERY BEST GLASS YOU CAN AFFORD!!!</span>Don't do like I did and have the budget to purchase a good piece of glass and don't because you are thinking, "this one will work and I can save a little for other stuff". Do it right the first time and you may actually wind up spending less. One scope is always chaeper than three no matter how you mix it.

Re: New scope....round three

I bought the best i could afford. I saved for a few months and purchased a USO Sn3 T-pal right off the bat and am really happy I did, the scope is more than I could ever ask. I did have a rifle without a scope for about 4 6 months until I put enough back to get the USO but it has probably been one of my best purchases yet, and something to brag about to boot.

If people would only listen to that and do that there would be a lot more happy shooters! That is great advise.

I bought a Leupold and NF, those are first to scopes I have ever bought! I must say that the NF is much better for my application.

There's a reason I have taken to advising new folks to get a SuperSniper or such in the begining. Glass is hard to buy once if you don't really know what to expect or what you will find you really need. Too many folks try to take half measures when starting out. If one can't or won't spend the money for the real good stuff, I suggest the SS (or bushnell 10X3200MD if you won't be shooting under 100yds) because they have proven repeatability and reliability, two key features that cannot be stressed enough when one starts twisting knobs alot.
A SS and the money saved from a $750ish range scope should get you enough range time and ammo that you will begin to develop an idea what you really need. Talk to other shooters that shoot the same kind of shooting you intend to do most and see what they are using and why they like/don't like it for their application (I run USO for precision stuff, but I like my Weaver T24's for silhouette-different game different tools).

Reeljob-if you really like the Leupy, do yourself a favor and try to not get your hands on a USO/S&B or NF. Enjoy enjoying the Leupy.

i agree, i am now looking to upgrade after realising i didnt have enough elev adjust, and so forth....now i am going the way of the right stuff.