• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New scotch recommendations?

ringer706

For Sale Access
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2012
TX
Just finished off a bottle of Laphroaig 18 and I'm looking for something new with my price limit being about $150ish. Any recommendations? I've had Macallan 15/18, Oban 14 and a few other nice single malts, so something not on that list.

As always, cheers!

Re: New scotch recommendations?

I really like Glenlivet. The Naddura is good and the 21.

I haven't tried Naddura yet, maybe I'll look into that. Thanks!

Oh, and for the price, Glenlivet 15 is pretty damn good.

Just started a second bottle of Naddura, good stuff, very smooth, a little more peaty than the regular Glenlivet.

Hard to go wrong with any Macallan or 'livet though....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just started a second bottle of Naddura, good stuff, very smooth, a little more peaty than the regular Glenlivet.

Hard to go wrong with any Macallan or 'livet though.... </div></div>

I think I'm sold. I do like islay scotches, so peaty is good enough for me. And yeah, my bottle of Macallan is liquid gold.

So here's my recommendation and you can get about five bottles for what your spending limit is: Old Pulteney 12 year. It's from Wick which is way in the north of Scotland. What it lacks it peatiness, it makes up for in nuttiness and salt in the finish. Old Pulteney is delicious, and I don't say that about too many scotches. I dig this stuff, just wish I could find it more often. I really want to try the 21 year.

Glenmorangie 18 is one of my all time favorites. It's price point is a out the same as the Laproaig 18.

It you're into peat, I'll second the other recommendations for Lagavulin. That stuff makes my living room smell like a campfire.

I'd also check out some of Laproaig's less expensive stuff. I can notice a difference, but not necessarily enough to justify 2x the price.

Ringer706; There are so many good single malts out there to try. Its taken Falconer and I over 3 years to try most of them. We just finished Edradour 10 at the last tasting, and opened up Highland park 12. here's a few of my favorites in the $40-80 range, plenty of good scotch in that price point. Aberlour 12y and Aberlour 'A'Bunadh whew big nose 59% fruity, spicy and a little smoke. Balvenie , Bunnahbhain, Macallen Cask. Get a few shooters together, form a tasting club and have at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glenmorangie 18 is one of my all time favorites. It's price point is a out the same as the Laproaig 18.

...</div></div>
+1
If you can find the Glenmorangie 18 aged in a sherry cask, try that out. It's one of my favorites that I can only rarely find and then rarely get off my wallet to buy, but worth every penny IMO.

Did you like the peety quality of the Laphroaig? If so, you might enjoy other Islay malts. Lagavulin, Bowmore, Port Ellen, Bunnahabhain and, Caoll Ila. These are my favorite "Islay malts". All delicious. If you like less strongly flavored whiskeys, PM me, and I'd be glad to share some of those. It's "malt whiskey" by the way instead of "Scotch". Just saying', as long as you're headed that direction.

Buddy of mine just got me a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 for the birth of my daughter. I'm still new to this Scotch drinking, but he says I'll like it better than my Glenlievit 12.(sp)

Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falconer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Balvanie Portwood. </div></div>

+1

Balvenie is awesome.

http://www.thebalvenie.com/

If you are on a budget I highly recommend Speyburn. It's about the same price as Johnnie Walker red but ten times better. It is a ten year single malt that runs around $20-$25 a faith. Very good. For blended scotch I like Chivas Regal.

Glenmorangie Lasanta, Quinta Rubin, Nectar D'or. I have good memories of all their scotches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Palehorse68</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falconer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Balvanie Portwood. </div></div>

+1

Balvenie is awesome.

http://www.thebalvenie.com/
</div></div>

The Portwood or the 18 or 21 year. My buddy brought me back a bottle of Midleton Irish Whiskey from Ireland, it is pretty good too (they say the best blended Irish, period) and definitely worth trying.

The Glenmoraigne and the Glenlivet are both good budget scotches too. But the Balvenie bottles are better I think. Their 30 year is just awesome.

i have a bottle of Oban i havent opened it yet.

try some Tomatin i just finished a bottle it was good

There are a lot of fines malts to be had. Kasumi brought over Monkey Shoulder the other night (under $30) which is a blend - part Balvanie - and outstanding. Love scotch.......

I was pleasantly surprised recently at a buddy's place when he had some Balvenie DoubleWood 12yr

<$50/bottle when I picked up my own and it spends the first 6 in new oak, second 6 in sherry casks.

Very very nice flavor, smooth and has a touch of sweet finish mixed with the very light smoke. Even my wife will drink it

You bet - the Doublewood is always great and priced under $50 (here at least). The Balvanie Caribbean Cask 14 year is another outstanding scotch, although priced at about $60 at my local provider.

I just opened a bottle of Glenlivet Naddura myself, one of my favorites. Since it is cask strength (109 proof) I add a bit more water, so for the money it goes a bit further than the standard proof scotches.

The Balvanie Caribbean Cask 14 year is pretty awesome too.

Man I a Big fan of the Balvenie line of single malts ,
you CAN'T go wrong with either of the Single-Wood Balvenie in 18 or 21 year .
The 21 is unbelievably smooth as butter & while being lite on the Peat the 21 year flavor is fantastic and just warms a smile on your face .

Also 'DON'T' overlook there Balvenie DoubleWood 12 year . A Big Thumbs-UP .
If your looking for just an ' everyday sipping, single malt ' to keep on the shelf . It is great also in flavor & smooth & you cant go wrong with it .

I recently found a very good lower cost single malt in McClellan, they have 3 different styles , Low Country, Highlands and Isle of Islay. All 3 come from The Isle of Islay each has its own very distinct tastes. Of course I had to try all 3 on seperate weekends to verify taste. Try them out I don't think you will be disappointed.

A'bunadh . Wow that looks pretty tasty .
Man, ' cask strength ' is an acquired taste that I am working on . They are definitely STRONG in the flavor & aroma . & right now I only got one bottle of Single Malt, ( cask strength, Bowmore ) . After I put a splash of filtered water in it . or a couple tea-spoons of crushed ice in the tumbler is the way I like it . I can start to see why it can be a habit on them . the Flavor really explodes on the Cask Strength single malts .

Middleton rare should fit that request. Middleton Legacy is even better, but that's a little spendy.

call me white trash, but I second the "Famous Grouse" call....blended, not peaty at all.

I am not a peat guy, and have had some great single malts, but for general swilling, Famous Grouse

You're right on with Famous Grouse (also try the Famous Grouse Black - nice). Nothing wrong with the blends - it's all good. I prefer to drink neat, but will add a few ice chips with the cask strength whiskeys; opens up the scotch and really brings out the flavours. Recently I've been enjoying Monkey Shoulder, which is part Balvanie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lash</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glenmorangie 18 is one of my all time favorites. It's price point is a out the same as the Laproaig 18.

...</div></div>
+1
If you can find the Glenmorangie 18 aged in a sherry cask, try that out. It's one of my favorites that I can only rarely find and then rarely get off my wallet to buy, but worth every penny IMO. </div></div>

+ another

Glenlivet 15 is my favorite.

All the Balvenie's I have tried were superb too. I gotta find that caribbean cask one that was mentioned....

Also enjoy Aberlour, and lately a JW Double black that a buddy brings over the house.

I don't like the peaty ones. We were joking about this. First you taste the sweetness,... then it's a mouthful 'a mulch... LOL

But to each his own.

--Fargo007

For those that do enjoy smoke, try McCarthy's 3-year old single malt scotch. Very smooth with a hint of campfire. Don't let the fact that this scotch is created in Oregon fool you. Murphy rates it 94 points in his Whiskey Bible.

If you like Laphroaig then you'll probably like any of the Islay malts. They all have that seaweedy, iodine-like character from the peaty soil of the west-coast island.

Lagavulin is right next door. Try a 16-year old, Full-bodied, with a sherry nose, it starts dry but sweet sherry and salty notes emerge on the palate, with a powerful peaty finish.

While the Islay whiskeys are tradionally known for smoke & peat (some used to or still do heat the buildings with peat), in recent years a few of them have toned down the peat in favor of a lighter, sweeter taste (like Bruichladdich, which I also suggest tasting).