• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New seating die vs Hornady microjust

mioduz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2009
I'm attempting to improve on my precision reloading process. Loading using Hornady dies. I would like to move to a micrometer seating die. But then I found out that Hornady sells the micrometer adjustment add on. I know Hornady dies are not top of the pile for quality. Is it worth investing in these Hornady dies or cut my losses and get a Forster or similar?

I think it comes down to how much $ you want to spend. The Hornady micro seater top does a decent job for not a lit of $, but if you are not satisfied you will spend more. My advice would be to start investing in better equipment and that can be dies to start. I have gone to all Whidden dies and custom seating stems for the seating dies. Learned the hard way that buy once cry once is a real thing. Lots of good quality dies out there.

The Hornady micro seater stems will work fine and they dont break the bank. Mine have served me well. These are for my gas guns that will all run sub MOA. I have Hornady with the stems for my 6.5 Grendel and a set each for my 6.5 Creedmoors. That being said I have changed to Redding with the competition seater for the 6.5 PRC bolt rifle I recently purchased. This was decision was for the seater, but at some point I would like to look into their Type S Bushing FL sizing die.

I have no intentions of swapping out my Hornady's, they work.

I'm attempting to improve on my precision reloading process. Loading using Hornady dies. I would like to move to a micrometer seating die. But then I found out that Hornady sells the micrometer adjustment add on. I know Hornady dies are not top of the pile for quality. Is it worth investing in these Hornady dies or cut my losses and get a Forster or similar?
Foresters are good. But beware, there’s no seating die that you set and forget. Maybe an arbor press. But all others you’ll have to seat, measure. Back off, Seat, measure to get All exactly the same

Since you already have Hornady dies, I would buy the micro seating stem. I use them on 2-3 sets of dies and they work great. Since the Hornady micro stem is NOT caliber specific, you can use them on other Hornady seating dies.

I use one stem for 30/06, 270 Win and 300 WM. I keep the notes on each cartridge in the die box as to the measurements for each bullet I use. It works perfectly.