• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New Setup - Tips, techniques, advice!

BlakeLee423

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
I recently started building off of the Remington 700 Varmint 26 inch barrel 308.. Bell and Carlson medalist stock, Vortex PST 6-24x50 scope, Harris bipod, weaver 20 MOA base and also weaver rings.

Took it out shooting yesterday and sighted it and was pretty consistently shooting around one inch groups with ease at 100 yards.

I know this is a pretty talked about subject but.. sandbags vs bipod? My friend was shooting his SPS tactical 308 off of bags and all three shot groups of his were touch while mine would be 1/4 of an inch out. Is this because of bags vs bipod?

Also,does anyone have a basic adjustment chart for 168 gr BTHP out to 1000 yards? Any help is appreciatd, i am new and trying to get better at long range shooting. I haven't been able to get access to a 200-1000 yard range yet so that will help a lot when i get more range time.

Thanks for any help &/or smart@ss comments lol

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 14
If you have not spent time shooting from a bipod a sand bag can give you a little more consistency. But it may be that box ammo is doing as well as can be expected in your rifle. You may try several different brands and bullet weights that will work best in your rifle. JBM Ballistics will get you a basic adjustment to get you going. Mind you this info will be very general and you will need to verify it with your rifle.

This is pretty darn accurate table from 20" to 24" barrel in my experience out to 600 yards. 600-1000 will be so close it likely won't matter on moderate sized targets for those ranges. It will definitely get you started.

Trajectory for .308 Federal Match 168 grain BTHP

I always shoot from bags in a table. Bi-pods can be troublesome from hard surfaces. Good luck.

I've got a sps tactical also and I've shot probably a thousand rounds off a bipod with it. I'm used to it for the most part. I haven't been "loading" up on the bipod but my shots are pretty accurate. Will it really make that much of a difference? I'm reloading the custom competition nosler 168 bthp and they are pretty good through any rifle I've had. And I was also shooting from concrete from the bipod.. I'm guessing that can be part of the problem....