• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New shooter- left or right handed bolt gun?

ChadTRG42

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.dallasreloads.com
I have a question for you lefties out there. My son is left handed, and I am planning on getting him a 223 bolt gun for his upcoming b-day (5 years old). Should I get him a right or left handed bolt rifle?

If I get him a right, he can still shoot it left handed. It is much easier to find right handed rilfes than left, but I don't want this to be the determining factor. Thanks!

Chad

Re: New shooter- left or right handed bolt gun?

Whatever eye dominance your son possesses buy the opposite configuration.

If he is left eye dominant, buy him a right-hand rifle and vice versa. All of his shooting will be easier and more efficient with the exception of positional.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever eye dominance your son possesses buy the opposite configuration.</div></div>

Hey Mike,

And have him shoot which position? If he's left eye dominant, get a right handed rifle and shoot it left handed?

Learn to shoot everything with both eyes open, and learn to shoot everything from either side. Then eye dominance becomes irrelevant.

I'd probably start a new pistol shooter off with the same hand as the side their dominant eye is on, and once they had learned to line the sights up correctly, I'd teach them to switch hands. With a rifle, I'd ignore eye dominance.

I'm curious, why the OPPOSITE side? I was taught to use the better one. I shoot left handed off the bench and do better as that is my dominate eye.

My perspective on that issue is...odd.

I'd check his eye dominance. Pistol shooting will be easier on his dominant eye side. Get the bolt gun to match.

Handedness is over-rated. I grew up shooting rifle left-handed, and pistol right-handed. I'm naturally left-handed with a dominant right eye.

When I got back into competitive shooting a decade or so ago, I switched my primary rifle side to the right, because the rifles I wanted to shoot were not available with bolts on the left side. Now, with a rifle, it makes no difference to me which side I shoot on.

Nor does it with a pistol - I wind up aligning the sights in front of my dominant eye with either hand, unless I'm shooting around right-side cover, in which case I use my left eye and my left hand.

So, I'd make things easier for a new shooter with a pistol and go with the dominant eye. With the rifle, it's just a training issue.

You need to train both hands anyway, because some day you may have only one which you can use.

P.S. - No one I know emerged from the womb with a firearm in his or her hands.

Dexterity with any weapon is a learned skill.

Period.

However, a Japanese instructor will not teach you to use a katana with your left hand. Sorry. Get over it.

Teach him to shoot with both eyes open, less strain on the other eye and he will be able to shoot longer before getting tired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever eye dominance your son possesses buy the opposite configuration.

If he is left eye dominant, buy him a right-hand rifle and vice versa. All of his shooting will be easier and more efficient with the exception of positional. </div></div>

WHAT?! Who told you this? I was always left handed... As soon as the weapons instructors in the Marine Corps learned I was cross-eye dominant (something that came out while shooting pistols) I was told I "should" be shooting right handed. I switched from left to right handed and my shooting was Vastly improved. Now I can shoot either way but everyone I know (and I do know some EXPERTS) says you should ALWAYS shoot with the hand corresponding to the dominant eye. PERIOD.

Is there some Voo-Doo wisdom I'm missing here????

Eye dominance should dictate which hand you should start your son at. Later on he can learn to use both sides.

I would find out his eye dominance and have him shoot everything from that side. You havent mentioned the use of shotguns but I am sure he will be wing shooting some day, eye dominance plays a big part with them. As far as actions go, in my case it doesnt matter, right handed, left eye dominant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever eye dominance your son possesses buy the opposite configuration.

If he is left eye dominant, buy him a right-hand rifle and vice versa. All of his shooting will be easier and more efficient with the exception of positional. </div></div>

WHAT?! Who told you this? I was always left handed... As soon as the weapons instructors in the Marine Corps learned I was cross-eye dominant (something that came out while shooting pistols) I was told I "should" be shooting right handed. I switched from left to right handed and my shooting was Vastly improved. Now I can shoot either way but everyone I know (and I do know some EXPERTS) says you should ALWAYS shoot with the hand corresponding to the dominant eye. PERIOD.

Is there some Voo-Doo wisdom I'm missing here???? </div></div>

I thought in the Marines they would teach you to RTFQ, in this case RTFA.

"Whatever eye dominance your son possesses buy the opposite configuration."

If your son is left eye dominant, buy him a right-handed rifle and have him shoot it left-handed. If your son is right eye dominant, buy a left-handed rifle and have him shoot it right-handed. Common sense would dictate he would predominantly use his dominant eye. With this configuration it is much easier to run a scoped rifle from any position except slung. And even when the rifle is slung, practice can allow you to shoot the rifle very effectively.
If I am shooting a left handed rifle from a right handed position I can run the bolt, check the chamber, reload, etc. without ever taking either my eye away from the scope, my cheek off the stock or my finger off the trigger. All of which will lead to great consistency. None of those moves are done well, or even at all, if the rifle "matches" the dominant eye.

However, as Lindy pointed out the utilization of said rifle in all positions both strong and weak is ideal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However, a Japanese instructor will not teach you to use a katana with your left hand. Sorry. Get over it.</div></div>LOL! You Iai guys are fond of using only one hand on a katana. I was taught that the left hand brings the power to the cut.

I'm a lefty with dominant left eye. I didn't know such a thing as a left handed bolt action existed until I was about 10 years old. EVERYTHING my dad has is right handed, in fact, my first flintlock experience ended up with a burned hand from a 6 y/o trying to shooot a full sized rifle left handed.

I had a LH Savage that I didn't like and I sold off. I now have a LH Rem that I bought to force myself to learn to run a rifle as a lefty. Everything else in my cabinents is right handed.

You can run a bolt action just fine with the opposite hand unless you're trying to make him shoot 3 position comps and it's going to be somewhat of a problem.

As Lindy said, teach him to shoot it both ways and it will serve better in the long run.

FWIW, I've learned to shoot a bow completely right handed, even with a dominant left eye and I shoot well enough to kill stuff with it. There were no squirrels, rabbits or cats that came into the range of our backyard when I was little.

Chad,

As a lefty that has always shot right handed bolt guns, I say get him a right handed gun. First, virtually every gun that he will ever encounter will be right handed; might as well learn to shoot with one. Second, firing a right handed gun from the left eye makes it easier to single feed and work the action from prone and bench. Third, scopes are designed for right handed guns and the illumination turrets can get in the way of the bolt on a left handed gun.

Just my opinion as a lefty.

Both hands are used after the draw on the initial cut. But you <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> wear your sword on the left side for a right-hand draw.

Unless, of course, you're a student of Niten-ryu - but you'll still start with one sword on the left...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever eye dominance your son possesses buy the opposite configuration.

Is there some Voo-Doo wisdom I'm missing here???? </div></div>

I thought in the Marines they would teach you to RTFQ, in this case RTFA.

"Whatever eye dominance your son possesses buy the opposite configuration."

If your son is left eye dominant, buy him a right-handed rifle and have him shoot it left-handed. If your son is right eye dominant, buy a left-handed rifle and have him shoot it right-handed. Common sense would dictate he would predominantly use his dominant eye. With this configuration it is much easier to run a scoped rifle from any position except slung. And even when the rifle is slung, practice can allow you to shoot the rifle very effectively.
If I am shooting a left handed rifle from a right handed position I can run the bolt, check the chamber, reload, etc. without ever taking either my eye away from the scope, my cheek off the stock or my finger off the trigger. All of which will lead to great consistency. None of those moves are done well, or even at all, if the rifle "matches" the dominant eye.

However, as Lindy pointed out the utilization of said rifle in all positions both strong and weak is ideal. </div></div>

They didn't teach me to read at all... I lernt that from pappy and auntie Flo!

Anyway, I'll be the first to admit when I'm a idiot (well maybe the second)... I'm an Idiot!

I see where this makes sense, especially with a new shooter. I was just seeing this from "inside the box"! My apologies!

I'm left eye-left hand and started out shooting right hand rifles and from a saftey stand point alone I perfer to shoot left hand rifles as it is very uncomfortable for a left hand person shooting a right hand rifle to have a case failure.

James

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My perspective on that issue is...odd.

I'd check his eye dominance. Pistol shooting will be easier on his dominant eye side. Get the bolt gun to match.

Handedness is over-rated. I grew up shooting rifle left-handed, and pistol right-handed. I'm naturally left-handed with a dominant right eye.

When I got back into competitive shooting a decade or so ago, I switched my primary rifle side to the right, because the rifles I wanted to shoot were not available with bolts on the left side. Now, with a rifle, it makes no difference to me which side I shoot on.

Nor does it with a pistol - I wind up aligning the sights in front of my dominant eye with either hand, unless I'm shooting around right-side cover, in which case I use my left eye and my left hand.

So, I'd make things easier for a new shooter with a pistol and go with the dominant eye. With the rifle, it's just a training issue.

You need to train both hands anyway, because some day you may have only one which you can use.

</div></div>

I grew up shooting rifles left handed because shouldering felt more natural to me. It wasn't until many years later that I discovered I am right eye dominant. So I switched to right handed rifles via the help of thumbhole stocks. Now I can shoot with either hand equally as competent, though one eye stays closed when shooting left handed.

I am Left handed and have been shooting a RH bolt in comps and for fun and feel that it is not a issue for me. I agree with Mike and think that this is not a disadvantage except for slung. Even then you can adapt for that with no problem.

my 2 cents.

I’ll throw a whole new very odd twist to this subject. I am right handed and right eye dominant. Now the rub due to an accident I am blind in my right eye. Anyone want to take a guess if I use a right or left hand bolt gun?

Chad,

Ever since I figured out that I was left eye dominant I started shooting left. I've found it very easy to run a right hand gun left handed, except in a standing unsupported position. Now, I've found that I shoot like shit right, I need to switch back for a little while...
sick.gif

Chad,
I'm here on SH to learn more about precision field rifle shooting, but I do have a bit of professional experience when it come to shotgunning for aerial targets. If you think that your son will ever be interested in wingshooting[ I can't imagine that you would know at this point that he wouldn't], it would be <span style="font-style: italic">very helpful</span> for him to be started off with the firearm under his dominate eye.

I agree that being somewhat ambidextrous with a rifle and handgun is extremely helpful, and fairly easy to achieve. But, to be a good wingshot, one needs to be able to shoot with both eyes open, and have the gun under their dominate eye. There is no need at this point to do anything to hinder that. It can't <span style="font-style: italic">hurt</span> at this point to have the gun under his dominate eye, and it will make wingshooting <span style="font-style: italic">much easier</span>later on....

If you have any questions regarding this, please let me know. Congrats on getting your young man shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andybull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eye dominance should dictate which hand you should start your son at. Later on he can learn to use both sides. </div></div>

ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

eye dominance determines everything.... sorry... you just look stupid trying to look through the scope with the wrong eye. haha

my rifle club as a kid did eye dominance tests before you were allowed to pick up a rifle.

As far as get a right or left handed gun... if you are shooting a right handed bolt gun on a bipod and you are shooting it left handed, you can work the bolt without moving your trigger finger or coming off the gun.... ( just a thought since I am left eye dominate and shoot left handed )

To be effective with both eyes open you need to have your dominate eye in the sights or, it just won't work. You can train some of that away but, that doesn't distract from the fact that it is just flat unnatural.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you are shooting a right handed bolt gun on a bipod and you are shooting it left handed, you can work the bolt without moving your trigger finger or coming off the gun.</div></div>

Which is fine if you are shooting prone and don't have to support the rifle. Which you won't be often if you're a working sniper, or are shooting a match at Rifles Only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you are shooting a right handed bolt gun on a bipod and you are shooting it left handed, you can work the bolt without moving your trigger finger or coming off the gun.</div></div>

Which is fine if you are shooting prone and don't have to support the rifle. Which you won't be often if you're a working sniper, or are shooting a match at Rifles Only.
</div></div>

True.

I've found that throughout my life, I've had to compensate for being a lefty. Never had a left handed bolt gun but, I've learned to compensate. There are advantages of shooting a 1911 left handed and changing mags.

Hell, I grew up shooting smallbore with my anshutz and then the national match course shooting my M1A supermatch. I know all about shooting without support. LOL

So, I am not quite supporting getting a left handed bolt for a right handed shooter but, I'm all about making the best of whatever you've had to learn to use.

I'm shooting a right handed bolt gun at the moment and, I'm ok with it for now. I've learned how to cycle the bolt with my left hand but, it's slow. When I'm shooting supported, there is no disadvantage and, that's the way I like to shoot that rifle anyway.... that's what it's made for.

If I am going to shoot in a sling from a sitting or kneeling or even prone position, it would be better if it were left handed.

Hell, I don't know if anshutz makes a left handed bolt now but, when I was a jr. shooter, they made a left handed stock but, they didn't make a left handed bolt gun. So, I had to shoot left handed with a right handed bolt even back then. So, my entire jr. shooting experience was a left handed stock with a right handed bolt. My palm rest for shooting offhand didn't quite go the right way because I had to turn it upside down and make it go backward and, the angle just wasn't quite right.

If you're left eye dominate, you're pissing in the wind trying to shoot irons with both eyes open attempting to shoot right handed, IMHO.

I am kind of mixed up.... I'm stronger right handed with anything but, most things that take precision, I do left handed. I write left handed and, I shoot left handed but, I play tennis right handed but, play ping pong left handed. LOL Kick right footed... it's pretty funny.

Works GREAT for pistol because my supporting hand is way stronger than my shooting hand and that's the one that matters in controlling recoil... so, for me at least, it's all about making it work... whatever that means.... lord knows I've had to do everything backwards as a lefty all my life but, there are a few times when it's better to be lefty.

if he is left hand eye dominant than buy him a left handed bolt. Teach him the proper technique and he will be much happier later in life. Alot of the above posters are left handed right handed left handed rifle right handed rifle confused. Don't let your son be one of those guys. Put him in an eye dominace correct rifle and teach him that is the only way to do things. Good luck.

This is a great question,Im right handed but left eye dominit.I grew up shooting rifles left handed and always shot rh rifles.very confusing! when I decided to buy a lh rifle it didnt feel right at all and I had a very hard time selling it.Now I just stick with rh rifles

There's a reason most left handed people write with a crooked paper. We were taught by a right hand person to write with a right hand method. I believe the proper way would have been to write from right to left, JMHO.

Just because most of us learned how to shoot with a right hand rifle doesn't mean that that is the correct method/way.

Andy.

Ok, I did the tests last night, and he is left eye dominate. It was a little bit of a chore to figure it out. So, I'm thinking left hand bolt rifle shooting left handed.
Thanks for all the info, guys!

Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I did the tests last night, and he is left eye dominate. It was a little bit of a chore to figure it out. So, I'm thinking left hand bolt rifle shooting left handed.

Chad
</div></div>

I believe that is a mistake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if he is left hand eye dominant than buy him a left handed bolt. Teach him the proper technique and he will be much happier later in life. Alot of the above posters are left handed right handed left handed rifle right handed rifle confused. Don't let your son be one of those guys. Put him in an eye dominace correct rifle and teach him that is the only way to do things. Good luck. </div></div>

This post proves you do not know what you are talking about. What is the "proper technique" for shooting a rifle and how does a LH bolt make that "proper technique" correct? If he is going to shoot NRA highpower, then yes. But for any type of non-positional shooting he will be at a disadvantage in any situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I did the tests last night, and he is left eye dominate. It was a little bit of a chore to figure it out. So, I'm thinking left hand bolt rifle shooting left handed.

Chad
</div></div>

I believe that is a mistake. </div></div>
Ok. So get a right hand bolg gun and let him shoot it left?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I did the tests last night, and he is left eye dominate. It was a little bit of a chore to figure it out. So, I'm thinking left hand bolt rifle shooting left handed.

Chad
</div></div>

I believe that is a mistake. </div></div>
Ok. So get a right hand bolg gun and let him shoot it left?
</div></div>

Exactly. Take my rifle that you have and adjust the stock and let him get a feel for it. See how he will be able to maintain a cheek weld, cycle the bolt, check the chamber, load ammo, adjust his scope, etc. all without having to take his cheek away from the stock or his finger away from the trigger area (practicing good trigger discipline of course) and you will see what I am talking about.

All of that works great when you're prone. If he's going to shoot only F-class, it might be good advice.

If you have to shoot unsupported or sling supported, it sucks. Yeah, you can reach over the scope to run the bolt if you have to. Why have to?

Let him run some through my AI. The 6.5 with the brake should not recoil any more then a 223. If reaching over the top in alternate positions is a problem with the 60 degree bolt lift, it will be even harder with a lower bolt handle.

You are welcome to pull the butt spacers to get it to hit him better (still may be pretty big).

I personally don't advocate using a RH rifle left handed or vise versa. I know in some situations it can be advantagious, but overall, it is a hinderence. Other than speed shooting situations, you want your firing hand to be the one breaking possision. The support hand should be doing just that...supporting your rifle and your possition.

At this stage in him shooting, the last thing he should be worried about is follow up shot times anyway. The fundamentals are the most important and cycling the bolt with you support hand is not part of that. It is a cool skill to learn later, but not now.

But, you may have a tough time finding a youth gun in LH, I am not sure as I have never looked for one.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I am going to be going down the same road in a few years with my son. He already owns 2 RH rifles, so I hope that he winds up shooting Right Handed!

Lindy,

I completely defer to your opinion as your knowledge far exceeds mine. But I am not sure that other positions besides prone (and the exception of positional) cannot benefit from the method I have described. One great example is the stage at RO where you shoot straight down at the five dots. Also, I am thinking of the "find your dot" in the carbine pit out of the bus window. Or the shots off of the front bumper of the truck or through the truck window. Yes, some RH shooters shooting RH rifles did very well on those events but in acknowledging that I would ask if it was their skill, or the configuration of the rifle, that contributed to their results? Or that event we did one year (although we were prone) where we had a target at 300-400-500-400-300 with only 20 (or was it 25?) sec. I was fortunate to clean that because I did not need to remove my cheekweld or my eye away from the scope.I believe the LH shooter shooting the RH rifle has a superior advantage.

But I digress Lindy as I would not argue with you concerning these matters as you see it every day and your experience far outweighs mine. I have only stated my opinion from my experiences.

Mike:

Does that mean you are a right hand shooter shooting a left hand rifle?

Not to hijack the thread.. But I'm just curious about how I should be shooting rifle. I'm right handed but left eye dominant. After trying to read this I think I'm supposed to put the rifle on my sternum and squint both eyes??

Aim rifle right handed and shoot targets. Then shoot left handed. Whichever is better, stick with it.

P.S. I'm right handed, left eye dominant and I prefer shooting right handed. Tried it both ways and never got comfortable shooting left handed.

Being able to truly shoot both eyes open, it doesn't matter the hand of the gun.
Using your eyes, is more important than what gun you may have.
Right or left bolt gun, really doesn't matter.
I'm the only Righty, in family of Lefties.
It works both ways.

I would just buy him an AR15 and be done with it...then you won't have to worry about the bolt nonsense. He can change back and forth each day if he wants to. If you just want him to shoot one at a time then only load one round in the magazine.

Respectfully,

--KJ

I understand Mike's point and it makes sense from a utilitarian standpoint. But honestly, I'm a lefty that is right-eye dominant. Shooting right handed has opened up the whole world of rifles I can now own... From AUGs to flintlocks! Not only that, I'm actually a better shot right-handed then I was left-handed. Go figure

By the way... I used my left eye back when I shot left-handed. Didn't know I had a dominant eye!

Honestly, if you are shooting scoped rifles, your eye dominance does not matter.

If you have trouble focusing on the reticle with both eyes open, turn your Bulter Creek to open in front of your non-firing eye (like a blinder).