• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk New shooter to Competition Dynamics BOTC with questions

huntman025

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2017
If anyone would be willing to share a little knowledge of BOTC matches it would be appreciated. I've read what I can and watched some of the youtube videos out there to try and gain some knowledge but still have a few questions.

1. What is the average # of targets per long stage for rifle and carbine?
2. Will they inform you of the # of targets on long stage prior to start so you can adjust ammo amount?
3. Do you have to carry your pistol and ammo on long stage or can you grab them before assault stage begins?
4. Is there typically water at some point on long stage or should you plan to have some packed with you?

Any other tidbits you've learned from past matches you feel would be helpful, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Chad

@D_TROS he has a little experience ;)

I haven't done the Team Challenge, but usually Competition Dynamics will give you a "no more than" number for shots. Watch for an email from the CD boys. You will likely not get all these off and come home with ammo. With carbine stages you get make up shot, so it depends on the shooters skill. With bolt gun stages, it's usually one shot per target with no makeups.

A good tip is: Be in good shape and move fast! Don't wanna get caught and have a short weekend.

If anyone would be willing to share a little knowledge of BOTC matches it would be appreciated. I've read what I can and watched some of the youtube videos out there to try and gain some knowledge but still have a few questions.

2. Will they inform you of the # of targets on long stage prior to start so you can adjust ammo amount?
3. Do you have to carry your pistol and ammo on long stage or can you grab them before assault stage begins?
4. Is there typically water at some point on long stage or should you plan to have some packed with you?

Any other tidbits you've learned from past matches you feel would be helpful, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Chad

First some overview. BOTC is usually last or second to last weekend in June in Douglas, WY.

There is 3 field courses (long courses done ea of 3 days in the morning) and 4-8 short courses (done first 2 afternoons). Highest score gets a 300 in field courses and 100 in short courses. short courses are time plus penaltys and fastest time get the 100 pts. Long courses you get an hour. short courses you get 5 min.

Long courses
-all 3 the same in round count for rifle. 4 stages and ea stage has 8 targets. rifle ONLY fires 1 round per target. 32 rnds if you fire all rounds. carbine has to engage at least 4 of the targets and can get points for no more than 4 targets with unlimited ammo. if at any time the team behind catches up, you must immediately cease fire and wait for them to shoot through or you must get up and run to next stage. very rare to get caught unless you really get caught not being able to find the targets. teams go out every 20 min.
-at your start time you have 1 hr to complete all 4 stages. you run/walk to first stage by following ribbon. set your gear down hand RO a score card and immediately find all targets, range them, shoot them. carbine must shoot first. once he shows clear from either engaging his 4 and getting hits or you feel he is wasting too much time. then rifle guy shoots one shot per. if you cant find all the targets you can leave at any time to next stage. time management is crucial obviously. run/walk to next stage and repeat.

short courses:
very 3 gun esk. can be anything from pistol pistol, rifle pistol, carbine pistol, carbine rifle, or all 4. usually quick run through brush and engage as you see em.

there isn't an avg. its same for ea of 3 long courses. 32 rifle, unlimited carbine

all long courses will have same number of rifle rounds and unlimited carbine rounds. remember if you are going to war and spending lots of time shooting your carbine you will prob time out. that being said we usually take 100 carbine rounds as we don't want to run out.

no pistol req on long courses. short courses sometimes have them and sometimes don't. you only have to carry them if needed on the short courses.

any fluids o snacks you need must be carried with. its only an hour so I usually have 1 bottle of water.

ADVICE
just do it. even if you have to walk the whole thing if you have a high hit percentage you will place ok. its so fun. the running part play in for bonus points. on the long curses you can get up to 1 pt per min finish early. i say up to because the % of pt per min is dependant on hit percentage to stop people from just running through course and getting all bonus pts. ex so your team hit 40/48 and finished 20 min early you would get a total of 40 + 40/48*20 = 56.6pts

2016 uso tc 4.jpg

Short course. We both had to clear pitol tagets at bottom of hill. run up hill. at top there were 4 targets for the rifle guy. if he at any time missed the carrbine guy had to engage his target and the rifle guy had to start over. fun.

2018 BOTC 9.jpg

field course: limit gear to bare min. my chest rig has 4 mags with 9 rnds in ea (bolt guy) my cabine friend has 5 mags in his pouches. we both have RF binos to find and range for ea other. some teams like to draw range cards. my partner and I have been shooting for over 6 yrs together and we communicate well so stopped drawing few years back. his small backpack has a tall bipod and some spare parts that may be needed. I wouldn't stress about a tripod as we didn't use but you may need as they change every year. like this pic a method for elevated shooting position is and will be needed.

GL!
DT

Last edited:
Let me add to what @D_TROS described. The long courses are physically demanding, and you need to hustle to finish the courses and be able to engage all the targets.

We seldome finished a long course with any time to spare. My partner for the BOTC last few years has Asthma, so we could only run so fast, or so far before we had to walk for him to catch his breath. Plus, by chance or bad luck, the team behind us was always a pair of gazelles, so we typically were caught and overtaken by that team, requiring us to either stop and move on, or let them play through. We weren't the slowest team out there by any means. There were plenty of overweight, out of shape Flatlanders who really struggled.

You really need to have the skill to find targets, and communicate with your partner. You can't dilly dally and waste time looking for targets, arguing about things, etc. If you can't find all the targets, engage what you can find, and move on.

I've seen soo many teams, who are good shooters struggle and do poorly because the can't communicate effectively. I've also seen a few that outright fail because they end up arguing about anything and everything. My suggestion is formulate a plan with your partner, and try to stick with it.

I remember my first team match, we were so unprepared, both in equipment (or lack of), and having a good plan. It was quite a learning experience, eventhough we finished in fifth or sixth, it was still a failure for us.

Last edited: