• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New shooter to long range

Pewjumper

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2012
Glenwood Springs, CO
I used to shoot competition when I was a kid and was pretty good. Now I want to try my hand at longer ranges 300-1000 Yds.

I want to buy a Remington 700 and put a Nightforce C429 scope on it, Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 Zero Stop MOAR C429 On Sale - EuroOptic.com .

I need practice and training before I drop a lot of money on a Defiance or Surgeon action. What the heck, I have several world class gunsmiths in the area and I figured I would build and true as I learned. If I made the jump to a high quality action I could always swap things around and use the old stuff for hunting.

WHICH REMINGTON 700 MODEL DO YOU FOLKS RECOMMEND AS A STARTING RIFLE. THAT IS A RIFLE WHERE I CAN MOUNT A 1913 PICATINNY RAIL ON AND MOUNT A HIGH QUALITY SET OF RINGS AROUND THE C429 AND THEN PRACTICE, WITH AN EYE ON TRUEING UP THE RECEIVER AS I IMPROVE.

THANKS,

Sonny

My favorite is the remington 700 sps with 24" bbl. The stock is junk, but every one of them that I own will shoot sub-moa for the most part. You can find them very cheap and I've had good luck with them. You might also want to start reading up on hand loading if you don't already... maybe the better statement is all of my remingtons will shoot sub moa with my reloads and when I do my part.

Thanks Snoball! You confirmed my thinking on the SPS. Got all the equipment for reloading and the supplies so it will keep me busy this Winter!

Sonny

Get an FN SPR. For $1300-1500 you get a McMillan stock, decent bottom metal (no mag) and a rail on top, in a 1/2" rifle with a chrome lined bore.