• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns New shotgun SBE3

mercracing

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 9, 2013
    Green Bay, WI
    The wife and I are thinking about getting new shotguns, probably SBE3’s. Pretty much all sporting clays and trap. I was thinking the SBE3 to try and eat as much recoil as it can and not beat her up. Is there anything else I should look at?

I really liked my browning maxus for sporting clays and trap. It was a hell of a shotgun with the briley helix chokes and would definitely get another in a heartbeat. It's in the same price range as the SBE3.

Reactions: 308pirate
    I was at a pawn shop and someone pawned it, was a brand new shot gun for 600 less than MSRP. Bought the chokes separate from a buddy who has a citori. I've hunted with an SBE1, 2, and 3. I like them. They're really nice, but I would still buy another Maxus as it was extremely comfortable for me to get on.

Gas operated, never let me down for clays, or doves. Never took it waterfowling. Also very easy to take apart and clean as well.

Reactions: mercracing
    I haven't kept up with new Benelli's in a while, but isn't an SBE just a 3.5" M2? Why the need for a 3.5" gun for clay sports? Either way, a gas gun will absolutely be softer shooting than any inertia gun.

SBE2/3 for hunting. Gas operated for anything else. The inertia driven shotguns can't suck up enough of the recoil. Gas gun all the way for trap/skeet/sporting clays a little heavier and a usually can tune the gas system a little to get the lightest recoil possible. My SBE2 is not great for clays shooting of any kind, it beats you up.

Reactions: mercracing
    I don't have a SBE3 but have handled them. I have a SBE2, Cordoba and Beretta a400 something. I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the choices. I went with the Beretta over the SBE3 since it was gas and supposedly softer shooting. I can tell you it's not much different for me. I shoot my Benelli Cordoba Supersport better then anything else I own. I like the trim grip and fore end for handling.

I would go shoulder a couple and see what feels best.

I haven't kept up with new Benelli's in a while, but isn't an SBE just a 3.5" M2?

Action and operation wise yes, different type receiver though.

Unless I was getting a great deal on it or something, there are many better choices for a general clay shooting semi auto. What the others have said above is accurate. They're light and inertia action guns recoil more than any other semi auto. (maybe not, long recoil guns may be more, you're not likely to buy a new one of those.) ;)

Me...
    I wouldn't buy an SBE3 specifically. (at all)
    I wouldn't buy a new SBE of any kind for general clays use. (I say that having an SBE and SBE2 and loving them)
    I wouldn't buy an inertia gun for a woman (yes I'm generalizing and painting with a broad brush), and probably wouldn't for anyone who my not be fond of recoil. I don't notice tons of difference but I'm used to them, some people do and shotgun recoil is cumulative.

The wife and I are thinking about getting new shotguns, probably SBE3’s. Pretty much all sporting clays and trap. I was thinking the SBE3 to try and eat as much recoil as it can and not beat her up. Is there anything else I should look at?

The Super Black Eagle, or any other inertia-operated shotgun for that matter, is absolutely the wrong choice if the goal is soak up as much recoil as possible.

You want a gas operated shotgun. Anything made by Beretta would be the number one choice, with Browning Maxus and its Winchester counterpart being close seconds.

It looks like we are quarantining for a bit, so I have time to do some more research. It's looking like the SBE3 might be good for me, and the A400 multisport for her.

There is no need, but most modern 3.5" semi autos will cycle target loads just fine so they are no handicap either.

Depending on the model, Beretta 3.5" guns have a longer receiver. Some of the 3" guns are built on 3.5" receivers because the longer stroke length reduces felt recoil.