• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New Sierra 150 SMK for 6.5

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    Anyone see the release or is this just new to me?

Can anyone provide dimensions? Is it all new or longer then the 142 or have they found away to stretch/thin the jacket to get the weight? Just wondering if these would see 2700+ with the standard 6.5 Creed loads. Claiming a BC of .713

Last edited:
    Just saw the Instagram post on them, very interested in loading them in 6.5cm.

(Note: my velocities for the SMK are just conservative guestimations based on other factory loadings. I’d imagine they’ll be able to be pushed a bit faster than 2600, but I prefer to under estimate than over estimate.)

Playing around in Ballistic AE comparing it to the factory hornady 143gr ELD-X load @2700fps with the 150gr SMK at 2600 the new 150gr SMK still has .2mils less drop and .2 less mils of drift with a 10mph constant 90* wind at 1000. The SMK also has a predicted 150 yards further of supersonic range, but I’d prefer the g7 numbers before I trust anything past 1000.

overall it seems like a nice little bump compared to the heavy hornadys, assuming they’ll work at mag length and keep competitive velocities. I like the way an all metal bullet looks compared to the ballistic tip stuff too. My only concern is how they’ll handle transonic.

Reactions: Bender
    Just saw the Instagram post on them, very interested in loading them in 6.5cm.

(Note: my velocities for the SMK are just conservative guestimations based on other factory loadings. I’d imagine they’ll be able to be pushed a bit faster than 2600, but I prefer to under estimate than over estimate.)

Playing around in Ballistic AE comparing it to the factory hornady 143gr ELD-X load @2700fps with the 150gr SMK at 2600 the new 150gr SMK still has .2mils less drop and .2 less mils of drift with a 10mph constant 90* wind at 1000. The SMK also has a predicted 150 yards further of supersonic range, but I’d prefer the g7 numbers before I trust anything past 1000.

overall it seems like a nice little bump compared to the heavy hornadys, assuming they’ll work at mag length and keep competitive velocities. I like the way an all metal bullet looks compared to the ballistic tip stuff too. My only concern is how they’ll handle transonic.

Compare it to the 147 ELD-M. The 143 ELD-X has a much lower BC.

I run the 147 at 2820fps from my 27" Creedmoor so guessing the 150 will be close to that.

ETA: Just ran the average of the three velocity bands of the 147 ELD and the new 150 SMK and the 147 comes out at .665 and the 150 SMK at .673

Last edited:
    Nice numbers guys and thanks for he info. Maybe after I bounce back from this shoulder surgery I can actually get a gun built and shooting again.

I've been shooting the 147 eld m exclusively and will be watching closely for the data to roll in for the 150 smk. Would like to shoot these in both 6.5cm and 6.5 SAUM. Both barrels are 8 twist so stability is my main concern. Team Area 419 had a post on their FB page with some pretty good info. 260 with 8.75 twist if I remember correctly.

I have some on the way should be testing by next week in my saum (8 twist).
    I was disappointed with the 147 eld . After developing a good load and getting zeros for them,Hybrids and RDFs , I tested them from 500 all the way to a mile, at 1400 yards the Hybrids and RDFs were impacting with Exactly the same drop.
    The 147s were about 2' low or roughly .5 mils low.
    using their stated BC they should have been .75 High
    I stuck with the Hybrids,maybe these SMKs will change my mind.

I'm looking for someone doing first tests with the 6.5x47mm Lapua. Compared to 260 and 6.5 Creed, it usually keeps up, but case capacity may make it fall behind with projectiles this heavy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I have some on the way should be testing by next week in my saum (8 twist).
    I was disappointed with the 147 eld . After developing a good load and getting zeros for them,Hybrids and RDFs , I tested them from 500 all the way to a mile, at 1400 yards the Hybrids and RDFs were impacting with Exactly the same drop.
    The 147s were about 2' low or roughly .5 mils low.
    using their stated BC they should have been .75 High
    I stuck with the Hybrids,maybe these SMKs will change my mind.

I decided not to try the 147's in my 6.5Saum/8.5 twist because I think the "full BC" potential isn't there until a faster 7.25 twist is used. The rule will still apply to the Berger 155 and the Sierra 150 IMO. In other words those heavier bullets will be driven slower and the BC not maximized with the 8 twist.

What could be happening is there might be a 50-75 fps loss in velocity and the BC of the 147 is more like .65???

Last edited:
    I shot the 147 ELD to 1020 yards using jbm data which used the .697 BC and it was right on all the way out. That was in a Creedmoor at 2820fps and an 8 twist. Guessing it's closer to .697 than .650 at the velocity I shot it at.

Factory twist recommendations are always more than min required, run JBM twist calc. JBM also lists required bullet length info. I have run 130tmk from my 9 twist zero issue to 1k however they need more dope than my standard load n shoot no tighter

Rob,

I went to Hornady and used the 140gr/ .646BC vs the 147gr/.696BC in the 4 dof calculator with 2820fps and there was a .3 mil difference at 1020Y. .2 mil is a 7.2 inch group which isn't easy to lay down at 1000Y. I'm not doubting your dope was correct but there are other factors to consider that could cause more than a clicks difference, like which side the wind was blowing from - affecting the vertical, what temp it was that day/ammo temp(adjusting to 2800fps fps changed the calc .15 mils), and if your zero was perfect, heck even scope tracking could be off a tenth???

I tried googling the article that I read which was about twist rates affecting BC's and couldn't find it. I thought it was a Hornady article??? Maybe someone else knows where it is. I was trying to figure out what possibilities there could be for why Sean's 147's landed short. I did see that the 225 ELDM 30 cal has a .777 BC with a 10 twist and a .798 BC with a 7 twist.

I do fully admit I'm definitely no ballistic expert. The same factors I mentioned could have affected Sean's dope as well???

Everything was right. Scope was tested and tracks on. I was shooting a 10" piece of steel and all shots were well inside. Guessing a 6-7" group with not much vertical. maybe 3-4".

Not sure about his results as I don't know his velocities or circumstances. Can only speak to mine.

I know it's a different bullet but a friend recently tested the 110 SMK at 100 yards. 5-6" groups with oblong holes. Sierra recommended 1-7 twist but he was testing out of 1-8.

Im leaning towards following the manufacturer suggested twists.

I double checked what my velocities were the Hybrids were doing 3198 avg and the 147s were at 3185 I also had these speeds input to my calculator I'm not sure it would have been so obvious at shorter ranges such as 1000 but it really showed at 1400.
    According to bergers twist calc. 4000 ft elevation at that speed and at around 90 degrees my 8 twist should easily achieve max BC

Rob,

I went to Hornady and used the 140gr/ .646BC vs the 147gr/.696BC in the 4 dof calculator with 2820fps and there was a .3 mil difference at 1020Y. .2 mil is a 7.2 inch group which isn't easy to lay down at 1000Y. I'm not doubting your dope was correct but there are other factors to consider that could cause more than a clicks difference, like which side the wind was blowing from - affecting the vertical, what temp it was that day/ammo temp(adjusting to 2800fps fps changed the calc .15 mils), and if your zero was perfect, heck even scope tracking could be off a tenth???

I tried googling the article that I read which was about twist rates affecting BC's and couldn't find it. I thought it was a Hornady article??? Maybe someone else knows where it is. I was trying to figure out what possibilities there could be for why Sean's 147's landed short. I did see that the 225 ELDM 30 cal has a .777 BC with a 10 twist and a .798 BC with a 7 twist.

I do fully admit I'm definitely no ballistic expert. The same factors I mentioned could have affected Sean's dope as well???

I know it's a different bullet but a friend recently tested the 110 SMK at 100 yards. 5-6" groups with oblong holes. Sierra recommended 1-7 twist but he was testing out of 1-8.

Im leaning towards following the manufacturer suggested twists.

Barrel length and approximate velocity? Close to sea level?

Several ppl have had success with a 1:8, but they were pushed pretty fast. I doubt they are getting the advertised BC though.

22", maybe 2800 fps. We are right at sea level, less than 2 miles from ocean.

You got my point perfectly, even if it were pushed a bit faster, I don't think it would be making max BC.

Reactions: Jarhead94
    Thanks TD, I saw that page. The article I read went into detail a bit more as far as BC's and twist rates vs BC's and velocity in mach, although they are intertwined. somewhat.

I was able to run some of these Today in my 8twist 26" saum
    using Retumbo in Rem Brass.
    ran a ladder @ 400 and kept them in about 1.5"
    maxed out at around 62 grains and 3135
    nice flat node around 61 grains at 3100
    ill report back when I have a chance to shoot them at distance
    to see if I'm loosing BC from the 8 twist.

Ordered a 7.5 twist but not sure I will see the velocity I want. If I don’t see it, will there be any I’ll effect if I run the 140 ELD’s?

I've got these running at 2720 out of a 6.5x47. They tracked with their .713 BC out to 800y for me. Going to try to get out a little further soon, but we'll see. This was with a 26" barrel that was a 8 twist, at about 1500DA.

Reactions: abn31c
    Ordered a 7.5 twist but not sure I will see the velocity I want. If I don’t see it, will there be any I’ll effect if I run the 140 ELD’s?

I think that you will be fine. Unless you are shooting a bullet with a really thin jacket, the extra twist should not affect your results with the 140s and could help stabilize things. There was a study I read about that dealt with extra twist vs. results and found that extra twist did not negatively affect accuracy unless the bullets used were thin jacketed varmint bullets. I do not know exactly where that test info is or would post it for you.

I've got these running at 2720 out of a 6.5x47. They tracked with their .713 BC out to 800y for me. Going to try to get out a little further soon, but we'll see. This was with a 26" barrel that was a 8 twist, at about 1500DA.

What powder you using?

What is your c.o.a.l if you don't mind me asking?

AB/Litz would be your source for the info on fast twist rates. I will have to run through my material once I get home, and post where you can find it.

If you run the Berger Twist Rate Stability Calculator, you can see what is going on in terms of stability and potential BC loss if things are not optimal. [h=2]http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/[/h] I have been trying to get more of the barrel manufacturers to put more fast twist 6mm & 6.5mm barrels on the shelf, and none of them have been real receptive at doing it. With the115 grain 6mm and 150 grain 6.5mm bullets, the older slower twist rates are not cutting it!

hi mate would you mind sharing further load data, your the only person ive come across who has tested them with the 6.5x47l, what was your coal, did you try H4350, did the 8 twist stabilise them at long range at 6.5x47l speeds?

hi mate would you mind sharing further load data, your the only person ive come across who has tested them with the 6.5x47l, what was your coal, did you try H4350, did the 8 twist stabilise them at long range at 6.5x47l speeds?

I'll get you the OAL once I get back from my trip...but:

37gr Varget
    Tula SRM Primers

Haven't tried 4350, I'd expect around 41.5gr though(not tested) to be a load node.

8 twist stablized fine out to 800 yards which was the furthest I was able to get out to. I saw about a .710 G1 BC to 800y.

thanks mate, my 6.5x47l has a .250 freebore would be ideal for these I single load, running the numbers through JBM even at 2720 velocity that you got they have a significant advantage over the 139 scenars I'm currently using if they group well. The berger twist calculator for 8 twist at sea level however is in the 1.4 range not looking so good....

Any thoughts on a starting point for a load in 6.5-284? 52 grains of H1000? Would a slow powder like H1000 be better than 4831? Currently having success with the 140's and H1000 at 55.5 gr.

Any thoughts on a starting point for a load in 6.5-284? 52 grains of H1000? Would a slow powder like H1000 be better than 4831? Currently having success with the 140's and H1000 at 55.5 gr.

Try Retumbo. I shoot just under 58 gr in 6.5-284 for 3030fps. Should be best Hogdon option for 150’s

Any updates on the BC you are getting?

thanks mate, my 6.5x47l has a .250 freebore would be ideal for these I single load, running the numbers through JBM even at 2720 velocity that you got they have a significant advantage over the 139 scenars I'm currently using if they group well. The berger twist calculator for 8 twist at sea level however is in the 1.4 range not looking so good....

You would be better running Berger 130s or 140 Hybrids.

Reactions: MLC2/6.5cr
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I saw where a few of you mentioned looking for some faster twist barrel options. We recently received a shipment of Bartlein 1:7" twist .256/.264 Marksman contour barrels. Let me know if there's any interest and I can forward a link.

Thanks guys!

Reactions: BCX
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I saw where a few of you mentioned looking for some faster twist barrel options. We recently received a shipment of Bartlein 1:7" twist .256/.264 Marksman contour barrels. Let me know if there's any interest and I can forward a link.

Thanks guys!

No high jacking at all!!! Any reason to go 1-7 over 1-7.5

No high jacking at all!!! Any reason to go 1-7 over 1-7.5

We discussed going to a tighter twist on 6.5 barrels with Frank at Bartlein awhile back. He said at 2600 fps, his numbers showed the 150s would need a 1:7.52" at minimum and that Hornady is also recommending a 1:7.5" minimum for the 147s. If 1:7.5 is the minimum, we figured it made sense to play it safe and go a little tighter. He confirmed that going with the 7 twist was fine and mentioned that all the 6.5mm barrels they've been doing for Spec Ops and the AMU have been straight 1:7" twist as well. In regards to results with the 7 twist on bullets lighter than the 147-150 range, he had a Scout Sniper instructor from Camp Pendleton send him photos of his results with 139 Lapua Scenars and it apparently hammered.

Looking back the last year or two, it seems there's an upward trend in heavier, high BC projectiles and a corresponding need for barrels with faster twist rates. As bullet manufacturers continue to push the BC envelope, it'll be interesting to see what comes next.

Any other reports on this bullet? Wondering if anyone has tried these in 6.5 CM with a 7.5 or 7 bbl.

IMHO, Sierra has a tendency to state that faster twists are required, but I think the more customary twists may still be adequate at the higher velocities available from the longer barrels.

If I am correct, Sierra's tendency is likely based on their inability to control/predict what length barrel and/or which chambering is going to be in use by the customer. After all, this bullet will fit a range of chamberings including the 6.5 Grendel as well as the 6.5-284, and even the 6.5 SAUM.

So capabilities vary broadly, and I think something like my own 28" 1:8" .260 Rem just may be effective with the 150SMK.

Anyhoo, I'll be watching the preliminary efforts; and then, I'll probably try a box's worth for pressure and stability testing at various charge levels. It may even turn out that I'll be quite able to avoid max/near max charges.

In fact, I suspect that this bullet will highlight the performance of H-4831 in the .260, thus reducing the insane demand on H-4350.

Greg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Stpilot12
    I have a 1-7" Broughton on a 6.5 SLR and I have shot everything from 130 Norma's to the 143's and have not had a problem with bullets, my current load is a 130 RDF and it is a hammer.

For those of you running the 150smk and 147eldm in the Creedmoor what COAL are you running and how much intrusion are you seeing into powder column if running within the AICS magazine restrictions ?

I had my 6.5 SAUM built with a Proof Research 26" 1-7.5" twist carbon fiber wrapped barrel.
    I will be working up a load with the 150 SMK soon and will report back.

For those of you running the 150smk and 147eldm in the Creedmoor what COAL are you running and how much intrusion are you seeing into powder column if running within the AICS magazine restrictions ?

My 6.5 is the x47, not the Creedmoor, but with H4350 and the 147gr ELDs, I haven’t found powder compression to be excessive, and my 8” twist Criterion barrel really likes them. Here’s 5 shots at 100 yards.

John

u1763E.jpg