• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sig Spear (6.8x51 Sig Fury) now shipping

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
34CAC5DD-F05C-4F0D-8E12-9F9B26B0CB97.jpeg
Been waiting on this for a few years. With all of their faults, I love their innovation and drive.

Barrel swaps (6.8x51, 6.5cm, 308)
Rear and left side charging handles
Ambi bolt catch, release and mag release
Folding stock
2 stage”match” trigger

Web link - Sig Spear

Last edited:
I just hope there is ammo available soon. I’d love that cartridge in a 20” bolt gun.

Was this basically their NGSW submission?
“This is a rare opportunity for passionate consumers to own a piece of history,” began Ron Cohen, President & CEO, SIG SAUER, Inc. “This first production run MCX-SPEAR, and all of the revolutionary technology behind its development, is being offered to the commercial market in a configuration that is a near match to our NGSW-R submission. Further, this is the only rifle submission to the program that is designed and engineered in the United States by a company with the manufacturing scale and proven adherence to military-grade quality requirements - which is a tremendous source of pride for everyone at SIG SAUER.”

Yes. And the 6.8 is called 277 Sig Fury.

"The 277 SIG FURY ammunition is the commercial variant of the 6.8 x 51 hybrid military round available in the hybrid case technology submitted to the U.S. Army NGSW program."

Interesting but a no go for me at those prices and that barrel length.

Now if they offered it as a standard rifle without the suppressor and had all 3 barrels available for a not crazy price, I'd be interested.

We need to update the rifle in this meme

MakeLoveLoudlyWarSIlentlyMeme.jpg

I gotta ask... what kind of barrel life will this have running at 80,000psi ?
1750 fps from a 16" is a misprint. Should be 2750.
Good catch... I cut and pasted from SIG's webpage.

Meh…just something else they will abandon and never support again. Fuck Sig.

They have definitely had issue with rail flex with the MCX line. This looks to be along the same lineage. I hope they have worked that out.

What makes this better than a plain old scar 17? Other than the calibers and the ambi. Same features listed.

What makes this better than a plain old scar 17? Other than the calibers and the ambi. Same features listed.

I don't think better is the correct word, both the Scar 17 and Spear are modernized, large frame AR18's,

I think that despite sigs history of shoddy qc and product abandonment, I think one is more likly to see interesting variants of the spear from sig, for example, I could see Sig do a rattler version of the spear in 8.6cm. That could be cool, I could see Sig release an accuracy barrel for the spear, where as FN doesn't care, or can't get acceptable accuracy out of the 17 and only offers that option in the form of a stand alone weapon system. Looking at the construction, it would appear that electro optics would fare better on the spear than the Scar.

I had a scar 17 and its not a bad weapon, its just the expedited result of a mid 2000's RFP that never really underwent a product improvement phase. Essentially the same mk17 that was field in 2008 is what you see now. Breaks, optics, horrible to suppress, plastic 1913 rail sections, weak stock hinge. If the speak, addresses these short comings, its could be interesting.

Reactions: Milf Dots
1750 fps from a 16" is a misprint. Should be 2750.
Nice,

So 2750ish from the standard re loadable ammo, from a 16 inch barrel. The ball ammo does not appear to be absurd.

Compared to a 6.5cm, going 2600, it looks like the practical difference at 1200 yards is about a .5 Mil Drop and .2 MIL of drift at 10 mph. so the 277 seems to be a touch more efficient.

looks like the version with the base stub can get you an extra hundred fps or so. Not sure if its worth the premium. Neat but not 4 dollar neat.

not very knowledgable here, is this caliber, 6.8x51 Sig Fury, do-able from an AR-10? i mean, if this ammo became reasonably available, post-pandemic, return to normalcy, etc.

not very knowledgable here, is this caliber, 6.8x51 Sig Fury, do-able from an AR-10? i mean, if this ammo became reasonably available, post-pandemic, return to normalcy, etc.
Yeah, it looks like the .277 fury and the 6.8 TVC are AR10 compatible, LMT announced they are doing a barrel in 6.8TVC. Cool concepts, I think the hybrid-bi metal version of 277 fury seems the most interesting, but unless sig can provide those components, not sure how many people are going to willing to pay 4 dollars per round. If it was loadable with decent case life, I would check it out.

Supposedly the barrel life is around 10k but I have a hard time believing that.

Interesting round, no way does that look like a 8k rifle however, MAYBE if it shipped with installed optics, suppressor, sling, bipod and a custom pelican case

Am I the only one who finds it curious that at least 2 of the 3 finalists for NGSW are releasing their rifle/suppressor/hybrid ammunition submissions to the civilian market?

Keep in mind that no contract award for rifles, LMGs, or ammo has been announced, unless I missed something, whereas the Electro-Optical Aiming System award has been announced.

What does that tell you....

Am I the only one who finds it curious that at least 2 of the 3 finalists for NGSW are releasing their rifle/suppressor/hybrid ammunition submissions to the civilian market?

Keep in mind that no contract award for rifles, LMGs, or ammo has been announced, unless I missed something, whereas the Electro-Optical Aiming System award has been announced.

We’ll have to see if the third one does the same, and we find out the project was scrapped again, and we’re just getting the M4A957283. ;) I wonder if this is just an extremely expensive contract negotiation tool at this point.

Yuuuuuup. That should tell you everything you need to know.

We’ll have to see if the third one does the same, and we find out the project was scrapped again, and we’re just getting the M4A957283. ;) I wonder if this is just an extremely expensive contract negotiation tool at this point.
How is the military going to equip everyone with large frame gassers when your average serviceman can't qualify with the M4?

Is that a suppressor or some kind of adapter used to unclog your toilet?

1642892915626.png

Good grief was ugly a requirement for this submision. The Textron offerings are hideous.
General Dynamics 80K next to your face, no thanks!

Reactions: thejeep and Rookie
I think the GD version is only 65,000psi chamber pressure since the added length of the barrel in the bullpup configuration allowed them to meet the performance thresholds without having to go to extremes like the 6.8x51 Fury did (80,000psi).

Reactions: 357Max

I know alot of the guys that were testing them and in short, nothing is there yet. I think this was a ultimately a PEO solider/Picatinny proof of concept project.

What is going to shake out is yet to be seen, this was the same group off assholes that said in the IC test that despite a couple guns being more reliable than the M4 with 855A1, they were not twice as reliable so they scrapped that plan, They also said that the sig despite not really being in the top three in the MHS was the best choice. They also said they didn't need a third phase of testing for the CSASS, only to select a precision rifle that took almost 4 years to not group like a shotgun.

I think the DoD is more or less done with this project for the time being, and the vendors have the opportunity to beta test their stuff with the public. This is pretty evident with true velocity as their fancy polymer ammo with perfect case dimensions and all that jazz really can't group any better than MOA.

Even in non prototype weapons, Sig is pretty hit or miss, Beretta might fare better with the bullpup since it doesn't look like it operating at red line to achieve velocity. The Textron is just over complicated, and awkward ala G11

Reactions: ormandj
61d437b198eb1b3d506df7e7255ef8d8c95e42e928083.png

Normally when you win a contract, you don’t go offering your submission finalist design to the public.

SIG NGSW carbine, suppressor, and .277 Fury ammo for sale to civilians to try to recoup RDT&E funds?......check

Beretta RM227 bullpup NGSW + True Velocity system for sale to civilians announced at SHOT......check

iu

Textron Systems/AAI/Hk......crickets

Army Awards $20 million contract to Winchester to tool-up for new 6.8 NGSW ammo.

Vortex awarded NGSW-FC contract worth up to $2.7 Billion

The lake city contract seems kind of odd, considering what we pay for bullshit warehouses in the middle east, I am not sure how much setting up they are going to be doing for 20 mil using US labor. Interesting though.

The LPVO seems like we may actually see something out of that contract in the next few years.

The military will do what they will do as they did with the SCAR program…

DoD will crunch the numbers and realize that the M4 platform is effective both cost and performance with M855A1 and unless Congress passes a huge military bill…this won’t happen at the infantry level. But like the SCAR, it will trickle into SOCOM.

Reactions: ormandj

Yuuuuuup. That should tell you everything you need to know.

How is the military going to equip everyone with large frame gassers when your average serviceman can't qualify with the M4?
That’s exactly my point. I think everything will get evaluated, and the program will get cancelled yet again. I don’t see that Textron abomination going anywhere. I’ve been surprised before, but I’ll be shocked if this program actually comes to fruition with a replacement for the M4 for the larger Army/Marine forces. I almost feel like the agencies keep doing these projects to try and negotiate better prices (or maintain existing) on contracts for the M4s.

Where is the Zorg submission?
1642971189891.png

I just don't get it. I love innovation, but .gov's philosophy seems to be why spend 400m when we could spend 1.2B. And check your logic at the door.

Stretch an M4 upper, lower +.100.........it's time. Make the upper monolithic. Widen the magwell .060-.080, redesign the bolt for the Grendel case head to take 60K. Seems like the easy button compared to the proposed shown here. You could easily carve the added 2oz out of the carrier without giving up any strength.

Hell just streamline large frame/small frame into one platform & you have the Mrad for longer ranges. At 2.400 coal things like 22 Nosler, 6 x 6.8 SPC, & 6 Grendel should meet performance requirements. A 6ARC2 with 35 degree shoulders stretched forward + .100 @60k would be tits to 1000 and work well with 95 mono's - 110 A-tips.

Knights, VLTOR, or LMT could all accomplish the above quickly at far less cost + civilian incentive.

There would be plenty of civilian interest for the above to help recoup an R&D/Tooling costs.

Hell LWRC is already tooled for this with their 6.8 receivers. Magpull 6.8 mags for CQB stuff done. Just build metal mags for longer coal and put the right caliber in it.

How the obvious has not already happened does not compute. Only makes sense if corporate lobbyist and corruption are part of the equation.