• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sniper Rifle .308 or 7prc

matt452326

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2021
NC
I'm looking to build a new rifle that looks like the FBI HRT rifle and I know it's chambered in 308 but I have a few of those and some 6.5creed so I was thinking about possibly using the 7prc. Does anyone have any experience with this cartridge and the rifle has a 24in barrel would I need to make the barrel longer since it's a 7prc?

If interested I was going to use a GA templar v2 action Mcmillian A3-5 stock and Bartlein 5r barrel and trigger tech trigger

Thanks for any info

Reactions: MojoNixon
These kind of clone rifles are worth building other more as collector items than user rifles. Definitely do a deep dive / serious research before comitting yourself to that kind of cash outlay. GA precision is using impact 737 and charging $6k for these builds now. just my $0.02

My m40a3esque rifle is a 6.5-284, and I regret nothing.

But if you were to make an HRT rifle in 22-250AI, pushing 75 grain Amax's with 40+ grains of H4350, I can promise you two things: It will (A) Explode and (B) be the most fun rifle you ever have!

I was going to use a GA templar v2 action Mcmillian A3-5 stock and Bartlein 5r barrel and trigger tech trigger
>Defiance/ GAP actions that don't take prefits
>1200 rounds of accurate barrel life

Pick one :ROFLMAO:

The 7prc not so easy and cost is higher.
SG Ammo carries it now and so do many other suppliers, but if you intend to reload it, finding brass will be an issue.

Does anyone have any experience with this cartridge and the rifle has a 24in barrel would I need to make the barrel longer since it's a 7prc?
24 inch would be the shortest and most common for the 7mm PRC for normal applications. If you intend to do ELR (1800 yards +) then a 26 inch or longer barrel would be required.

If interested I was going to use a GA templar v2 action Mcmillian A3-5 stock and Bartlein 5r barrel and trigger tech trigger
The GA templar action is fine with Bartlein barrel, though you will have to have a barrel spun up to fit the action when you want or need a new barrel-caliber. With an action that takes a prefit barrel, you can change it yourself with a barrel vice and action wrench (Less tools if you go with a barrel nut.). So, look at other barrel manufactures (PVA, Northland Shooting Supply, Preferred Barrels) to see what prefits they have for the other actions they have out there (The barrel profile you want is M24/M40 or MTU.).

As for the caliber, use whatever you want since it is a clone. If you reload, look at 6.5x47 or 300WSM. I would also not rule out a long action in 300WM, 300 PRC or 300 Norma.

My self, I built two low budget M40 style clones in 308 and 300WM using REM actions with prefit barrels using barrel nuts in Cadex SNE stocks in Green.