• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater NEW sniper show...

Re: NEW sniper show...

thumbs up, liked the fact it wasn't politically corrected to death, the actual trigger men were interviewed, and their opinions and views of the situation were discussed.

the reenactments were pretty good, considering today's "sensitivity levels" of censors.

informitive without the bull, didn't really cheapen or glorify the subject matter, stayed mostly objective.

very impressed with the storyline and presentation.

the only flaw i seen was when they were speaking of the rem 700 in the second story, but the guy was holding a savage in the dramatization.

for the format they kept to, i thought it was a 9.75 out of 10. for the

i saw a mythbusters episode the other day where they revisited the hathcockian scope shot and had some cop shooter plow one into the dummy's eye, took several tries but they settled on "plausible"

anyone know when this will be aired again?

I'm a complete noob to long range shooting (still waiting for my rifle to be finished
frown.gif
so this show was very enlightening. I didn't get to watch all of it yet but will tonight. But can someone explain this quote from one of the shooters?

"We actually like the insurgents to be out around 500 yards, because the bullet (7.62) will be traveling more slowly and will do a lot more damage. If you hit them at 200 yards, the bullet is traveling too fast to expand and will go right through them without causing much damage."

Cheers and enjoying the wealth of knowledge here at SH!
cc

Did anyone catch how they said the max effective range of the M-24 (in the segment for the longest range 7.62 kill in Iraq) was 800 yards but then said the max range of the M40 was 1,000 yards? Maybe its because Marines are better marksmen...
laugh.gif

Also, just thought I'd mention that a few years ago SgtMaj Skiles (one of the Marines interviewed) was the guest speaker at one of our social functions. He also came out to our pistol qual course for pre-deployment training and helped instruct our Marines in shooting the M9. The man is amazing with a pistol, a great speaker, and an incredible Marine. It was good to see him on TV on a show about snipers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dublin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a complete noob to long range shooting (still waiting for my rifle to be finished
frown.gif
so this show was very enlightening. I didn't get to watch all of it yet but will tonight. But can someone explain this quote from one of the shooters?

"We actually like the insurgents to be out around 500 yards, because the bullet (7.62) will be traveling more slowly and will do a lot more damage. If you hit them at 200 yards, the bullet is traveling too fast to expand and will go right through them without causing much damage."

Cheers and enjoying the wealth of knowledge here at SH!
cc
</div></div>

only analogy i can make is the ol' tablecloth trick; pull it our quickly, the dishes stay on the table, put it slowly the dishes fall off.

the bullet is going faster at shorter range, which means as its going through the tissue at a faster speed, it's almost through the tissue mass by the time it starts to deform and expand.

the slower it's going the more time it spends in the tissue to expand within the tissue and rattle around a little.

then consider that most of the bullets are generally a FMJ, not very conducive for expansion in the fist place.

the germans in ww i and ii actually started loading the bullets in the case BACKWARDS to cause destabilization, tlo tumble or "key hole" throuogh tissue to cause major tissue damage from the the entry wound on.

I thought the show was great and Chuck Mawhinney is a bad ass!!
I have a old PVS starlit scopes you cant see shit there it..

I haven't watched all of it yet (TiVo'd it though).

I noticed that in the reenactment of the Marine on top of the water tank shooting 1Km with the M82 the shooter kept adjusting the reticle illum knob like ot was the focus.....

Pretty good from what I saw so far. From what I've seen I like the coverage of the TopSniper comps better.

Rob, buddy, I know that you know, but one Mil is center of dot to center of dot on that hand-drawn diagram of a reticle.
wink.gif

Nice to see a description of the 'whale' shot, although the Aaron Perry shot wasn't too shabby either.

Not trying to arm chair quarterback this one, but had Mark been a few feet to his left, more in line with the bore of the 50, he would have been able to catch vapor. I was actually pretty surprised, as an observer, it is your responsibility to catch vapor no matter what. He was way too far off to the right and this contributed to it.

That was a great show. But I do agree with rogers that it was kind of ruined because it had Jack Coughlin in it. The reenactments were pretty good too except for the end where they are trying to duplicate the 1.5 mile shot. I am curious on why they couldnt hit it. I know its not an easy shot. But compared to the CheyTac 408 when Future Weapons did that part and Richard Machowicz who is also a SEAL sniper, hit his target on his first shot. Any thoughts on this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was a great show. But I do agree with rogers that it was kind of ruined because it had Jack Coughlin in it. The reenactments were pretty good too except for the end where they are trying to duplicate the 1.5 mile shot. I am curious on why they couldnt hit it. I know its not an easy shot. But compared to the CheyTac 408 when Future Weapons did that part and Richard Machowicz who is also a SEAL sniper, hit his target on his first shot. Any thoughts on this? </div></div>
As I suggested - piss poor preparation. They had everything needed to make the shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to arm chair quarterback this one, but had Mark been a few feet to his left, more in line with the bore of the 50, he would have been able to catch vapor. I was actually pretty surprised, as an observer, it is your responsibility to catch vapor no matter what. He was way too far off to the right and this contributed to it. </div></div>The observer should have been behind the shooter with a proper spotting scope that has a larger objective and on a tripod/bipod to provide a steadier view. When the air is dry, it will be more difficult to see the vapor trail but you may see the light diffraction through the denser air behind the shock.

I know you experienced folks see issues with the staging, inconsistency with the weapons etc. But for those of us who have freedom because of what the military does for this country, live in total awe of the jobs these guys do. I watched that show practically without blinking at the thought that under those conditions, with that amount of pressure, those of you who have done that, manage to do it and be as humble about it as you all are.

That show almost made me cheer. And I honestly and sincerely thank those guys, and all of you who have done that job to save soldiers lives.

Just thought I needed to say that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was a great show. But I do agree with rogers that it was kind of ruined because it had Jack Coughlin in it.</div></div>

Seeing his face brought back the nauseating memory of his arrogant-ass quotes in his book. Of all the "experts" they could have picked from,they picked this D-bag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he had been more prepared for the shot, say, by getting dope at 1km first or chosing a better target location with less vegatation, it would have been more successful.</div></div>

I agree. Not to take away from Furlong's shot, but they did not replicate the shot. Furlong's spotter gave him dope based on observed splash. They weren't shooting into veg. The McMillan guys should have set it up right including shooting at the same Density Altitude.

One other fact I thought was interesting was that they said after Furlong ran out of his service ammo, he used some "US" ammo and they show a graphic of service BMG. They should have mentioned that the round was a 750 gr Hornady A-MAX, not over-the-counter service ammo. Small detail, but important.

At school they made one of the guys put a new Jack Coughlin quote on the board every single day. Believe it or not, there were enough stupid quotes to last the whole class.

Having worked on History Channel shows in the past, once they fall in love with some one they will quote him and make him up to be the greatest thing ever. Also once the director has an idea of what he or she wants there is no changing it. In the words of a couple of History Channel directors, "who cares if it happeded that way it looks cool this way"

This is great !!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the heads up!

It's at 9:00 P.M. Eastern Time, a 2 hour show called <span style="font-style: italic">Sniper: Inside the Crosshairs</span>, described as "The science and psychology behind some of the greatest shots in military history; snipers deconstruct their missions, ranging from Vietnam to Iraq and Afghanistan; a Canadian sniper recounds hitting a Taliban fighter from 1.5 miles away."

It's followed, for those who might be interested, by a one-hour show on the history of the M-16.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having worked on History Channel shows in the past, once they fall in love with some one they will quote him and make him up to be the greatest thing ever. Also once the director has an idea of what he or she wants there is no changing it. In the words of a couple of History Channel directors, "who cares if it happeded that way it looks cool this way" </div></div>

Well Coughlin is made for the History Channel then. He is a legend in his own mind and I guess that makes for good TV. Who knew?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At school they made one of the guys put a new Jack Coughlin quote on the board every single day. Believe it or not, there were enough stupid quotes to last the whole class. </div></div>

So I take it he's not revered at the school?

As far as we know, he is NOT a school trained Marine sniper. The fact that most people are surprised to hear that I think says alot. He MAY have gone to a pre sniper course, but this is not an MOS awarding school. He has been called out in the past but he dodges questions.

In his Iraq deployment he was a company gunny. Why was a company gunny running around Iraq with a bolt gun and not doing his job as a company gunny.

We are supposed to be a community that prides itself on quiet professionalism. Reading a book by a guy that in love with himself sends a horrible message, not to mention his book and quotes in there were straight up corny.

I dont doubt that he killed alot of dudes in Iraq. Big deal, there are a ton of Marine snipers running around with alot more kills then him,and yet you do not see themselves self promoting like he does. Especially when he does not have the MOS. Why would he be running around in Iraq with a sniper rifle instead of doing his actual job, and allowing the sniper platoon to do theirs? Dude needs to get over himself. Its just the fact that I believe it goes against our ideals as quiet professionals. Make sense?

Agreed. I read his book not fully knowing its contents. I was appalled by his arrogance. I finished the book and quickly discarded it. it doesn't take an expert to know what he is all about.

Unfortunately, It's people like him who often get the recognition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as we know, he is NOT a school trained Marine sniper. The fact that most people are surprised to hear that I think says alot. He MAY have gone to a pre sniper course, but this is not an MOS awarding school. He has been called out in the past but he dodges questions.

In his Iraq deployment he was a company gunny. Why was a company gunny running around Iraq with a bolt gun and not doing his job as a company gunny.

We are supposed to be a community that prides itself on quiet professionalism. Reading a book by a guy that in love with himself sends a horrible message, not to mention his book and quotes in there were straight up corny.

I dont doubt that he killed alot of dudes in Iraq. Big deal, there are a ton of Marine snipers running around with alot more kills then him,and yet you do not see themselves self promoting like he does. Especially when he does not have the MOS. Why would he be running around in Iraq with a sniper rifle instead of doing his actual job, and allowing the sniper platoon to do theirs? Dude needs to get over himself. Its just the fact that I believe it goes against our ideals as quiet professionals. Make sense? </div></div>

Gosh, this is really unsettling. I was almost sure that you guys put him in the same class as St. Carlos. My whole reference point for Marine Snipers is now adrift. Coughlin...unprofessional...BLASPHEMY!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody had even heard dudes name prior to the book coming out...he is the self declared top rated "sniper" in the Marine Corps hahahaha </div></div>

Makes you love the History Channel's vetting process.

You guys are going to love this then. I have heared rumors that his book might be turned into a movie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are going to love this then. I have heared rumors that his book might be turned into a movie. </div></div>

Move over Berenger, there's a new sheriff comin' to town...(cue the music to "The Good, the bad and the ugly")

I could scream. we should petition.

OK, I'm no former military sniper. Just a guy who enjoys shooting. But I could swear that the M14 is a full auto weapon, not just semi-auto. At least 3 times in this show, they declared it a semi-auto. I thought that is why us civilians can own the M1A, the "semi-auto" version of the M14.

Some of you smart guys please set me straight!!
Thanks in advance.

I read Coughlin's book as well. He should have had his ass kicked a dozen times by his chain of command. Waste of ink.

I thought it was great too. OP Hotel was still a hot spot in Ramadi when we got there towards the end of 06. We were at camp Trotter which was just east of OP Hotel on RTE Michigan. Good show.

I too thought it was great! I learned alittle bit and my buddy that watched it with me just kept asking questions about well everything. I got to teach and learn from the same show.

I thought it was pretty good, the dramatization of the blood splattering on the wall was hilarious!

I actually forgot that I put it on my DVR (old age I guess) and when I was sitting around last night I remembered. Damn good show. I will have to watch it again and I am sure I will see some new things that I missed the first time through.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S4B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed. I read his book not fully knowing its contents. I was appalled by his arrogance. I finished the book and quickly discarded it. it doesn't take an expert to know what he is all about.

Unfortunately, It's people like him who often get the recognition. </div></div>

the almighty Carlos Hathcock. If you believe his stories then you'll believe this new version based in Iraq. This new GYSGT is an even bigger liar. cant say i'm surprised

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought it was great too. OP Hotel was still a hot spot in Ramadi when we got there towards the end of 06. We were at camp Trotter which was just east of OP Hotel on RTE Michigan. Good show. </div></div>

Did you replace the 1/506th 101st? I left Corregidor June 06 and I can tell you OP Hotel pretty much went dead around Jan 2006. Summer/Fall 05 was when business was good.