• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New SPS-T first trip to the range

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
I finally got to the range today and tried out the new tactical 308. I only fired 25 shot but the last 5 seem to look promising. They were 155 SMK's with 44.5gr Varget. The MV was low(2570fps), so I may need to work it up a little.
IMG_0585.jpg

I am having an issue with the elevation of my scope. I only have about 8 moa of elevation left after zeroing at 100yds. I have a weaver tactical one piece mount, which is a cheap mount. Will a better quality mount help with this or do I need a canted mount?

Re: New SPS-T first trip to the range

What scope? I should think a good quality mount would rectify that if it's not the scope's problem. I really like my Warne 20moa mount so far, I have plenty of moa left with a 100yd zero. There are plenty of good quality canted mounts out there if you plan on shooting at extended ranges.

Vortex Viper 4-12x40. How good is the EGW mount? I have one on my other SPS but I dont need that much adjustment for it.

Ok, Your scope shouldn't be a problem at 100yds, I would suggest a different mount for your rifle. From what I've 'read' the EGW should be fine. I only have experience with the Warne, but everthing I've read points to the EGW being a quality piece. If you want to be absolutely sure order from seekins, badger, etc.

Would check your base. A 20 MOA cant is always good. Also, you may want to give your 155 SMK a bit more ooomph!.

I plan on kicking the 155 up a little, but it does look nice as is. I was thinking about swapping the EGW mount off my other rifle if you experts here think it is the crappy base causing the problem and not that I really need a 20moa cant.

8moa left?????? Something doesn't sound right to me. I would definitely try your EGW and see whats going on. I just put one on my 300wsm and it's working fine. Make sure you use Blue Loc-Tite on the threads, and you should be GTG.

-Pat

I just removed both the weaver and the EGW base and measured both. The weaver had a difference of .058 between front and rear. The EGW was .083 difference. Thats .025 more cant in the EGW. How much MOA should I gain from this? Is this even a good way to figure the cant?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just removed both the weaver and the EGW base and measured both. The weaver had a difference of .058 between front and rear. The EGW was .083 difference. Thats .025 more cant in the EGW. How much MOA should I gain from this? Is this even a good way to figure the cant? </div></div>

The EGW base should be marked on the underside how many MOA of cant it has. Flip the base over and look between the base pads. It should say in like 1/8" letters "20 MOA" or "25 MOA" or something like that. If it doesn't have any such nomenclature, it's probably just a flat base. BTW, EGW bases are GTG. I have them on 3 different rifles and think they are excellent.

I figured the EGW base was flat, but the weaver was canted the wrong was, making me use all my elevation adjustment. If my measurements are correct, and the EGW is truly flat, then the weaver has to be canted upwards, right?

I have the EGW 20moa base on my SPS-T and it has treated me very well. I'm at a 100 yard zero also, don't know exactly how much adjustment is left but I go to almost 19.5 moa weekly so there is at least that much left.

EGW are great products. If you installed your mount backwards you would have the problem you describe, Sounds like you have a 10 moa base reversed.

can't install it backwards. The mounting holes are spaced differently. I fixed the problem by installing the EGW in place of the weaver. Bye, bye junk. Hello EGW! I got 12moa more from the EGW mount.