• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New SR-25 to my company

eddy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
NoVa
we just got a sr25 issued to our company, and we are wondering what tips you all have as far as your experience goes. ive read a few threads here so far and gotten some good advice, but i am wondering what else there is to know as far as active shooter advice goes. we havent gotten much info about them other than the standard info that comes with them. anything you all care to share would be nice.

Re: New SR-25 to my company

Check to make sure all your mags function flawlessly. Some don't. The Navy had to send many back to be replaced or reworked. They seem to have fixed most of the bugs, and the newer ones have a higher percentage of been good. Just check them all to make sure.

If you have a whiteish grey follower, and the seam on the front of the mag is at a corner, and not down the center then your mags are GTG, Early mags were not made to run M118LR which has a longer OAL than M852

ok so mags checked. anything else?

Eddy,

One modification that "can" be made with any AR design (although I'll bet you'll have a tough time convincing your unit armorer to go with this...let alone the CO) is to file down the "magazine catch projection stop" on the bolt catch. This WILL STOP the rifle from catching the bolt and holding it open when you empty a mag. This will do three things: 1. decrease wear on the bolt catch, which has been PREVIOUSLY known to have broken on SR-25's when it was the old one (as in, the same one as the M-16s), and 2. Prevent you from having the bolt/BCG from being held open and filling up with sand in sandy/windy environments (but there's certainly no operations like that going on...and of course, everyone always remembers to close their dust cover before running from position to position as you were taught at Benning), and 3. With repetition, it will train you to ensure you reload on opportunity, instead of when a mag has been emptied. The one thing I'll offer there is that it is pretty nice to either have a Badger charging handle or PRI gas-buster for the large, forgiving handle since you will be working the charging handle more than before (obviously).

I'm not telling you you "SHOULD" do this, or "MUST" do this AT ALL; I'm simply trying to offer some information of how other people have attempted to help solve some minor shortcomings.

Watch the POI shift with can/can off; with the SR-25 it can be substantial.

thanks for the info. if you think of anything else, just let me know

I have the Mk11 w/ 20" Oby barrel.
It likes the Remington 168gr Match ammo best.
At 300m it shot a 1" group with 155gr Scenar reloads.

i think all we are going to get to shoot is the LC 175gr