• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New SSC Shorty .308 Build.

58blackflag

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 30, 2012
SC
This is my new shorty .308 from Russell at Scout Supply Company. Russell has build me a few guns to date but this one is special to me because I was lucky enough to visit the shop and watch while Russell did the machining work on the barrel. It was a real treat to watch the process and ask lots of questions about how it all works. Specs are:

R700 LH short action, trued up.
Broughton custom contour barrel (specifically for under 20" builds) 1:10 twist. It's 1.25" at the recoil lug and 0.93" at the crown cut to 16.25" Threaded 5/8x24
Factory 700P LTR stock
Factory bottom metal hinged floor plate
Badger 20MOA rail
Straight bolt handle conversion (I broke the factory handle, it had a bad air bubble in the casting)
Badger knob
Premier Light tactical 3-15x50mm GenII Mildot
Badger rings

Pics of the target below are the first 32 rounds out of the gun. First round after bore sighting was 2.0 mils left. I adjusted and never touched it again. After the first few being a bit high it (or more likely I) settled in and it was on the money. Shot three 5-round groups, L to R. 1st two were right at 0.9" edge to edge, third was 0.6", edge to edge. Then I shot the dots. Got a bit excited towards the end but clearly the gun is shooting!

Ammo was M118LR. I think the results are pretty solid for factory military ammo!
Yesterday I took it out a bit farther. Shot once at 100 to reconfirm zero. Guesstimated velocity at 2600fps and took three tries at 380 yards on a 10 inch steel, shot a 2.5" group a bit left from the wind. Then shot 720 yards on a 12" plate holding 1/2 value for wind and knocked it slightly right. Unfortunately it spun the plate and settled sideways so I had to walk down and fix it and ran out of time to shoot more. ANYWAYS...I'm impressed!
Thanks Russell!

Attachments

• IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
Man I like your rifle did you check the velocity yet ? 2600 is great from that short barrel. What can are you using ?