• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New Steiner Thermals (Handheld, Clip-On, Scope)

TheHebrewHammer

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 1, 2021
The South
Just got the monthly update. Looks like Steiner is releasing three new thermal products. The info I have right now says they are all 640x512 12 micron sensors with 1280x960 displays, manual focus, and 50hz refresh rate. I am trying to find out whos sensor they are using. All should Bluetooth to an app similar to Pulsars. Steiner doesn't put their name behind low quality stuff. I have personally put a serious backorder on the handhelds and clip-ons. I am trying to get my hands on some demos ASAP to compare to the Pulsar Xg50, Nvision Halo-LR, and my Chinaskeet MH25. I am very excited.

Models:
Nighthunter H35
ETA: Late July
35mm
Handheld Monocular
MSRP : $4,799.99

Nighthunter C35
ETA: December
35mm
Clip-On
MSRP: $5,999.99

Nighthunter S35
ETA: September
35mm
Thermal Scope
MSRP: TBD

I don't have any pictures. I don't even know what they look like. I am trying to get demo units right now. The second I do I will post some pictures and videos.

Reactions: chase723
I believe the BAE are 60hz. My phenom with iray is 50hz so it's probably one of those not that that's a bad thing. Very nice image.

Out of my price range, but the CQT looks interesting.
CQT
Their other thermals have nice specs, but are a little overpriced compared to other comparable spec'd thermals.
Better late than never.

@shoots100 I don't think anyone has a 12 micron 640 clip on with a 1280×960 display for $5k. If they do please send me a link so I can go buy one. I know bering optics and pulsar are suppose to have some coming out, but I believe they are around $5,500+. I know trijicon is suppose to be coming out with new stuff, but I haven't seen or heard anything.

Reactions: mikefraz
Yes the Super Yoter - C Map pricing is around $4,900. Meets all your specs and just look at previous posts how good the image is even against clip ons over $10K. Night Goggles will hopefully have them on their site soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
Yes the Super Yoter - C Map pricing is around $4,900. Meets all your specs and just look at previous posts how good the image is even against clip ons over $10K. Night Goggles will hopefully have them on their site soon. The biggest thing I see on the Steiner without knowing anything else is only a 2-year warranty.

So a Yoter C with steiner on the side?

BO's Phenom Monocular (640x480 Res) and it's almost a grand cheaper + a 4 yr warranty.
Is the Steiner's 640x512 Res with only a 2 yr warranty worth paying an extra grand ?
I don't think most could notice the resolution difference, but you never know.
I do think that after the two year warranty expires and your thermal shits the bed for some reason, most will notice.
I'm glad Steiner has thrown their hat into the ring, but they need to remember that their not alone in that ring.
Hopefully well see some reviews of their wares, so we can make a better comparison.

I agree, it will be interesting to see them side by side. Whichever option someone goes with, im just glad you can now get a 640 12 micron clip on for less than $10k now.

The Steiner MAP is $4,999.99 so it would be a $99.99 difference. I believe the difference in image processing technology and housings will be the most significant difference. Steiner may only have a 2 year warranty, but the thermals will be built better, waterproof, and probably tested by multiple MIL/LEO teams before being released. I guess everyone will have to make the personal choice once we can truly compare the units. Until that, everything is just theoretical. Who knows, the BO clip on may wipe the floor with Steiner, anything is possible.

I would imagine they'll be iray sensors but we won't know until more info comes out. My guess is going by the names, specs, and prices these will be competing with Bering for the hunting market rather than a tactical market.

@shoots100 I don't think anyone has a 12 micron 640 clip on with a 1280×960 display for $5k. If they do please send me a link so I can go buy one. I know bering optics and pulsar are suppose to have some coming out, but I believe they are around $5,500+. I know trijicon is suppose to be coming out with new stuff, but I haven't seen or heard anything.
The Super yoter has these specs, and they are under $5k. And example of the image quality infront of a NF ATACR at 2.5x optical mag and with a TA31 4x32 acog

Attachments

• 20210719_005159.jpg
    20210719_005159.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 20210716_224450.jpg
    20210716_224450.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
I am on the list to purchase one of those the second they become available, but as of right now, no US supplier has them in stock. Looks better than the TigIR. Again, I am sure they will both be awesome clip-ons. I am just saying until Steiner releases more info and starts putting out samples, we can't compare the two. I should have my Nighthunter H35 handheld monocular by the end of the month which should give us a tease as to the image processing technology in terms of upscaling a native 640 to 1280. Also the Steiner will most likely have a 35mm objective which will be interesting to compare to the 50mm objective of the Super Yoter. Most likely we will have two clip ons with similar pictures, with $100 difference in price, it comes down to the image processing technology, quality of housing, POI shift, and reliability. It is way too early to have any kind of true time tested reviews on anything. I think the most important thing to take from this thread, is the days of quality clip ons being prohibitively expensive are no more.

And a couple of more from heat producing (animal) entities
Day optics w/yoter order: TA31 4x32, elcan 6x, TA31 4x32.
I'll be quite curious to see how well this new Steiner clip on does in terms of image quality and housing design. My only gripe about the Yoter is that the housing on this unit is okay... but I'm also use to military-housed thermals that withstand 50 caliber recoil impulses. Would have liked to seen a T6 7075 or 6061 milspec housing with this unit (even if it increased the price several grand; the image is that good).

I was one of the first people in the US to get one (from 357magag) so I wanted to give it a fair and honest take. Merely posting these images here to act as a baseline for image quality in this price range (sub $5k). Might be useful for later references, since this is coming from a strictly nonbiased consumer level interest.
20210715_223546.jpg
20210715_221944.jpg
Screenshot_20210718-142053_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
@Cypress87 that's where the image processing technology comes into play, im pretty sure every company uses their own. It upscales the image and attempts to use AI to fill in the gaps to make it look twice as better. But in reality it's still the same 640 12 micron sensor.

@Cypress87 that's where the image processing technology comes into play, im pretty sure every company uses their own. It upscales the image and attempts to use AI to fill in the gaps to make it look twice as better. But in reality it's still the same 640 12 micron sensor.
Ah thanks, been up all night so my question didn’t make the most sense but you knew what I was talking about. A lot of 640 Iray sensor stuff look good but somewhat artificial, wonder if this is due to the upscaling...interesting that n-vision stuck with a 640 display and not 1280, wonder if it was keeping cost down or it just would not have produced a better image with their programming

Do thermal clip ons in front of a day optic have a POI shirt like a NV one?

Some do, some have a sub moa shift. That's the biggest question we have with these units. A clip on is only as good as its collimation.

Ah thanks, been up all night so my question didn’t make the most sense but you knew what I was talking about. A lot of 640 Iray sensor stuff look good but somewhat artificial, wonder if this is due to the upscaling...interesting that n-vision stuck with a 640 display and not 1280, wonder if it was keeping cost down or it just would not have produced a better image with their programming
Ones not really better than the other just different. I think they actually compliment each other well. Nox is like cartoon clown world and iray has a gritty sin city thing going on

• Haha
Sadly that model uses a built in rechargeable battery. For me that's a no go; I can't remove the battery between uses and can't quickly replace it if it runs out of juice. I'd also be concerned about longevity of the battery if it sits on the shelf rather than being used daily. I've been burned too many times by built in batteries going bad due to lack of use.
It's the same on my Phenom. It looks very similar to the Steiner also and the differences are probably only superficial.

Sadly that model uses a built in rechargeable battery. For me that's a no go; I can't remove the battery between uses and can't quickly replace it if it runs out of juice. I'd also be concerned about longevity of the battery if it sits on the shelf rather than being used daily. I've been burned too many times by built in batteries going bad due to lack of use.
I also don't like built in batteries, so that's why I got a cheaper AGM monocular.
My thermion scope is a hybrid.
I use both of those thermals frequently though.
Most of the the thermals with Built in Batts can also be powered by an external power source.
Not as convenient as swapping batts, but it'll still keep you in the game.

That’s a horrible idea when the device will 100% be used in the field. I’d be interested to learn what their reason is for that. I see zero upside to it over a rechargeable external pack that you can swap and by several of. Seems like a missed opportunity for additional accessory (batteries) sales too

I'm just as annoyed as everyone else, but I highly doubt a German company is going to take my advice (see username). I will post some videos and info I gather tomorrow in a new post and link it in here. Overall some new and pretty cool software features. Very smooth picture with almost zero static. For the price (not MAP, but the 'PM me price') it's worth it.

Reactions: Sogan
A tease

Attachments

• IMG_20210723_111445.jpeg
    IMG_20210723_111445.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20210723_111403.jpeg
    IMG_20210723_111403.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20210723_105252.jpeg
    IMG_20210723_105252.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: jstokes1
Tagging for interest. I had been eyeballing a TigIR but now with the Yoter C and Steiner coming out I am wondering. I imagine the Tig will be more durable.