• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Stick in da HOUSE!

diego-ted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Diego-Town
There is a new stick in the safe and I can't be more thrilled. I have always wanted a rifle I knew was money that I could use as a mule to insure all my other rifles were on. Up until now it was trial by error. But thanks to a hide member who gave me a hell of a deal on this rifle, I now have the one that all others will be measured by! This GAP Hospitaller is just plane cool. An I know she shoots based on the targets below at 100 and 300 hundred yards.

The bummer part is I will not be able to play with her because I am sending it off to GAP for a little make over. I will have a 30" Broughton Heavy Palma barrel put on as well as a Jewel trigger. I will have the new tube painted to match.

15 shots at 100 yards

300 yard target

Great stick, I've wanted one of those for a long time. I especially want the 6 Creed they have in stick now. Question though, is there a reason for the rebarrel? If your sticking with the 308 do you think adding a few inches of barrel is worth the cost compared the minimal gains you will see? Just food for thought before you drop the coin.

I wouldn't mess with a shooter like that.... why a jewel trigger? They have a history of being unreliable.

The rifle will see a lot of competition shooting at 1k in moderate wind conditions, the extra 6 inches of tube will give me a fair
amount of velocity over the 24" tube, IIthink this will be worthwhile at 1k. As for the jewel trigger, the good people at GAP said they have not seen a lot of problems when they install and set up the trigger. Since they are doing all the mods, I have no reason not to take them at their word.

Ted

The rifle will see a lot of competition shooting at 1k in moderate wind conditions, the extra 6 inches of tube will give me a fair
amount of velocity over the 24" tube, IIthink this will be worthwhile at 1k. As for the jewel trigger, the good people at GAP said they have not seen a lot of problems when they install and set up the trigger. Since they are doing all the mods, I have no reason not to take them at their word.

Ted

That's not a bad idea but its not great either. I've had barrels that were fast and barrels that were slow so you may be re-barreling and only see minimal increase. I know F-Class is very competitive so it may be beneficial if you compete regularly. That's hell of an accurate barrel and I would hold in to it if I were you.

Ted

In my short time being an RO at a few big matches and personally owning the triggers.... their track record is poor. In any sort of hard use scenario they collect debris and go down.

We had a guy unable to complete a stage at the Grind due to his trigger locking up, it was a Jewel. We had to blow it out with lighter fluid to get it to work. Another one lost adjustment and got heavier in pull weight as the day proceeded.

I would consider a Timney 510 in the poundage you prefer.

Diego T. will likely see in the neighborhood of an additional 50-100 fps out of the 30" barrel as compared to the Hospitaller's standard 24" barrel. That's worth quite a bit for a .308 boolit in F-TR at 1000 yd. As far as the Jewell trigger goes, dirt and grit may well be an issue in competitions where you run around in the woods and roll in the dirt for many of your shots. However, for F-Class where you get to lay in one spot on a comfy mat, it's really much less of an issue. I have run Jewell triggers on several GAP rifles and never had an issue, even at Raton, where the wind-blown grit is notorious for locking up triggers. I know many F-Class shooters that run Jewells without issues. Not saying it can't happen, but it's less of a concern that for other shooting disciplines.

Last edited:
The rifle is gone to GAP, the wait begins. God grant me patience so I don't go crazy during the wait!

Ted

Grats , she's shooting way to good to change anything. Love the bipod.

Bipod? That's a lunar lander outrigger. :)

Nice rifle. Enjoy!

I'll second the vote for the Timney trigger. I think the biggest disease in the shooting sports is that more expensive ALWAYS means better.

Last edited:
LMAO...... Lunar outrigger!!!!! hahaha.. that is quite the piece. lol very nice rifle.