• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New stock for model 700 Varmint

Don Keddy

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2020
Hemmingford, Quebec, Canada
Need your input. I recently bought a model 700 Varmint in 308. So far it appears, considering some of the comments I've seen elsewhere, that I got lucky. This particular rifle has a very smooth bolt action, no gritty, sticky feel that these can sometimes have and so far, the trigger actually feels very nice., although it'll probably get a Timney at some point in the future. I've adjusted it down as low as I can get it for now and although I don't have a scale I'm guessing it's at 3 lbs, maybe even a little less with no creep or loose feel to it. The stock however, as we know, sucks. I'm operating on a budget and would love a McMillan or even an HS Precision but sticking to my budget. It's narrowed down to B &C, either the m40 or the Varmint Tactical. The other one I'm looking at is the Magpul Hunter 700. Leaning towards the B & C Varmint Tactical, but......Unfortunately, because I live in Canada, there doesn't seem to be anyone here who carries any of these. So I'll be buying it in the US in the next couple of weeks, but I haven't had a chance to actually see any of these up close. So if by chance any of you own any of these, I'd appreciate it. For reference, I'm just a occasional target shooter at the range, the gun would probably make a couple of trips to the ground blind for deer and probably shoot a couple of coyotes a year. I've got other rifles for deer, coyotes and the range that I'd use more. It's topped with a Nikon Black X1000 4-16x50. Thanks all.

I have. Actuallyy there was a fellow on here a couple of weeks ago who had a used one for sale. I'm just not sure I want to go to that style, but they certainly appear to be a great stock, lots of options, etc

So many options out there, it can get confusing. Wish I had access to actually see some of these but it's just not the case for me here. It's like closing your eyes and picking something. I really just want something that will be a good fit for both hunting and the range, which is why I like the B & C Varmint Tactical style. And the price is good.

I have. Actuallyy there was a fellow on here a couple of weeks ago who had a used one for sale. I'm just not sure I want to go to that style, but they certainly appear to be a great stock, lots of options, etc
Seems to me they’re like a magpul hunter but better in every way, unless you must have a broom handle grip.

Seems to me they’re like a magpul hunter but better in every way, unless you must have a broom handle grip.
I don't doubt that at all, I'm not a 'huge' fan of the Magpul quite frankly, I think it was just the price that caught my eye - I know, worst thing you can do is buy just based on price. The only issue I have with the B & C is if at some point I want to go to a DBM, I'm stuck with the Wyatt system, which may be fine but my other rifles are AICS and I could swap mags if I wanted. So, things to consider.

I don't doubt that at all, I'm not a 'huge' fan of the Magpul quite frankly, I think it was just the price that caught my eye - I know, worst thing you can do is buy just based on price. The only issue I have with the B & C is if at some point I want to go to a DBM, I'm stuck with the Wyatt system, which may be fine but my other rifles are AICS and I could swap mags if I wanted. So, things to consider.
MC3...the original designer of the A style stocks and they're already DBM

Reactions: Don Keddy
I went with Greyboe - they're McMillan licensed designs (Greyboe owner Ryan McMillan is Kelly McMillan's son) and their manufacturing and customer service are great if you prefer a stock over chassis. KRG Bravo is also a great alternative as is the Oryx Chassis made by MDT. I'd be happy with any of those three. Best of luck!