• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing New stock: Inletting question

chadm

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2011
I just received my new B&C medalist stock for my SPS Tactical. It looks GREAT. I did have to do a little sanding in the barrel channel to get good clearance. I have a couple additional questions.
1.) How much barrel clearance do you like to see around the barrel? Just enough to clear or more?

2.)The stock has an alum. bedding block. Do I need to make sure there is clearance on the side of the action? Do I want the only contact points to be the bedding block?

Thanks in advance for the help. This is my first build project and stock change, so I am looking for guidance.

Re: New stock: Inletting question

If I can slip a piece of paper and run it all the way to the lug or bedding past the lug if it is & it goes smooth and freely. Im sure other will chime in but that's my 2 cents.

Kc

More than enough is better than not enough. Hold the rifle and hit it firmly (not hard, but not like a sissy) on the end of the forearm. If it hits the barrel you need more float. I like at least .020"-.030" clearance as a minimum on a stock with a rigid forend.

Bed the action to the block for a perfect fit.

YMMV

if the stock has flex in the forend you want additional clearance if shooting from a supported position (bags, bipod, etc.)

Especially in hot weather.

I typically run .06" under the barrel and .03" on the sides.

Hope this helps.

C

Great info guys. Thanks so much for the help. So just to double check, I do not want the action contacting the stock anyplace but the bedding block, correct?

if your using something resembling an alloy chassis to register the action then it's probably in your best interest to isolate the contact of the action only to the chassis.

Now take that with a dose of common sense. I'd have serious reservations with the notion of a gun suddenly shooting like crap just cause a portion of the tang touches the stock or it's married up 1:1 on the show line. By contact I'd say anything structural that's doing some sort of work. IE: The bottom of the receiver contacting the chassis under load from the guard screws. If the chassis sat low for some reason and you could physically watch the ass end of the action deflect when tightening up guard screws then I think we'd all agree you'd have an issue with stock/receiver fit.

The barrel will likely want to be floated forward of the recoil lug. The typical exceptions are when running a "spaghetti" receiver with a barrel that has a contour resembling an axle from an excavator. In those cases it's typical to help the receiver out a bit by bedding a couple inches of barrel just forward of the recoil lug/receiver ring.