• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Strike Eagle FFP LPVO

Yawn. Pass.

What does this chinesium thing does than the primary arms 1-8 SL-X acss doesn't do ? It's heavier, more expensive, and the reticle isn't really exciting.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Vortex states the reticle is in MOA as well (EBR-8 MOA).
Yeah, and technically it is, but if you look at the subtension detail you'll see it's mostly just a BDC that they happen to have given you the MOA specs on. They could've easily done the same reticle and given you the MIL subtensions and it wouldn't change anything about the BDC's function.
VTX_SE-1801_EBR-8_MOA_RS_I_RI_ST.jpg

I'm not trying to sell this to anyone. Just started a thread saying it exists.

Reactions: GhostFace and FuhQ
I would prefer if it was MIL (and had an exposed lockable elevation turret w/ RevStop (like the SE 5-25x56), but being a BDC it is still very useable once you learn your drops on your particular setup, even if they don’t match a particular dope chart.

It wasn’t difficult to figure out the drop @ 200 with my SE 1-8x24 SFP on my .300 BLK with subs. Just took about 8-10 shots and a spotting scope. It was a small target, so it took a few extra shots to get on paper using the BDC & Kentucky windage.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
You called out the SE as "chinesium", but then proceeded to recommend ANOTHER China-made scope...Just from another brand. 🤣
My point is that being both chinesium, I fail to see what this one does better.

The turrets may be in MOA but the reticle is a BDC and it isn't meant to be dialed, so turrets are kinda irrelevant.
I recently purchased an Athlon 1-10 that is a mil turret and a mil christmas tree. I have been very happy with it. I can't stand trying to work around some BDC.

Reactions: GhostFace
My point is that being both chinesium, I fail to see what this one does better.
So you're saying that there should only be 1 option in the $500 range for an FFP 1-8x24 LPVO, and nobody else should make one, because the PA one already exists? That's a fairly boring way of looking at things.

Reactions: GhostFace
Is there a reason most of these LPVO optics are only in MOA? If it isn't offered in Mrad it's a deal breaker for me.

The progression for most is usually something like: pistols/irons > AR's/dots > AR's/LPVO > FFP MIL/MIL > on the HIde arguing about which $5K scope is best.

Milliradian is far too big a concept for most young and greenish 3-gunners to fathom... most don't know what MOA is either, it just sounds more comforting because red dots come in MOA (so at least they've heard it before lol).

I wish this thing came out 10 years ago when I was younger, faster, and poorer, I'd probably have been all over it.

So you're saying that there should only be 1 option in the $500 range for an FFP 1-8x24 LPVO, and nobody else should make one, because the PA one already exists? That's a fairly boring way of looking at things.
I'm asking what this things does better when it's heavier and more expensive ?

I'm asking what this things does better when it's heavier and more expensive ?
I don't know, but this thread isn't about the Primary Arms LPVO, it's about the new Strike Eagle FFP 1-8x24 LPVO...

So, what it might, or might not, have over another scope, is a bit irrelevant in this thread, unless you want to start your own to discuss it.

Milliradian is far too big a concept for most young and greenish 3-gunners to fathom... most don't know what MOA is either, it just sounds more comforting because red dots come in MOA (so at least they've heard it before lol).
Disagree strongly. 3 gunners in general, even the ones that use and understand both MIL and MOA (myself included) generally don't give a shit about either for this application. If using a BDC, we want the 3 to be close to 300yds, and the 4 to be close to 400yds, and if we have a 350yd target we hold between. If we're using a MIL or MOA hash reticle we're still just using it as a BDC and not thinking in minutes or mils, just second hash for the first target, hold third hash high on the second target etc. Shoot them fast you win, shoot them slow and you lose, meanwhile no one cares about the unit of measurement on your turrets.
I know and shoot 3 gun regularly with the guys that designed the so called MOA, but really just BDC, EBR-9 reticle for the G3 Razor and this is my understanding of their design philosophy. I can ask next time I see them just to be sure.

Disagree strongly. 3 gunners in general, even the ones that use and understand both MIL and MOA (myself included) generally don't give a shit about either for this application. If using a BDC, we want the 3 to be close to 300yds, and the 4 to be close to 400yds, and if we have a 350yd target we hold between. If we're using a MIL or MOA hash reticle we're still just using it as a BDC and not thinking in minutes or mils, just second hash for the first target, hold third hash high on the second target etc. Shoot them fast you win, shoot them slow and you lose, meanwhile no one cares about the unit of measurement on your turrets.
I know and shoot 3 gun regularly with the guys that designed the so called MOA, but really just BDC, EBR-9 reticle for the G3 Razor and this is my understanding of their design philosophy. I can ask next time I see them just to be sure.
I think you mike'd the sarcasm in my post lol.

And I totally get the how/what/why of the BDC, and it has its place. And I do like the simplicity of the coarse ranging based off an IPSC, I'm glad they kept that.

On the other hand, I also get the point that I was sarcastically replying to, in that it does seem like most of the LPVO reticles out there, many of them being BDC's, are MOA-based (or at least MOA-explained). I don't know why that is either? (I was joking earlier.)

I can totally understand why someone who just wants to throw a decent LPVO on their gun, not necessarily slay 3-gun COF's, would want something more straight MRAD/MRAD (or even straight MOA/MOA) as far as the reticle is concerned.

Remembering a few holdovers in MRAD's seems about a zillion times easier to me than remembering "high on the 3 hash equals 400yrds, 4 hash is more like 450" or whatever. Run it over a chrono, stick it in the calculator, try not to forget a few numbers, done.

I still have a 1-4 P4Xi from back in the day that's BDC and still completely useable once I get a feel for what's what with the ammo I'm running, but I've never loved it (the BDC). If they had offered this new SE in EBR-9 MRAD too it'd be a no brainer for me.

I'll probably have to break down and buy the G3 Razor with the EBR-9 MRAD reticle at some point because it just makes more sense to me these days...

YMMV.

@CK1.0 yeah I must've jumped right over the sarcasm part.
That said I've never had much trouble getting BDC's to line up with their intended ranges. Seems most people that struggle with it insist on a 100 yard zero when most are supposed to work with a 50.

Reactions: CK1.0
Well.
I'd sure take the Vortex warranty over any other.
Not in the market for a scope like this but I know without any doubts Vortex stands behind it.

Reactions: FuhQ
For anyone that has strelok pro, you can just mess with the zero distance to see what best lines up the BDC. I’m all for mil reticles but with how little I shoot my ARs these days this seems a little more (ironically) dummy proof.

Picked one of these up from the PX here just to satisfy my curiosity. For what I paid I'm impressed. If I paid full retail I would be neither underwhelmed or overwhelmed, just plain old whelmed. It's kind of the polar opposite of the PST II 1-6x. The PST can be used as a red dot replacement with it's bright dot, decent eyebox and flat image, and is let down at range by a worthless reticle. The SE 1-8x FFP is clearly optimized more for magnification than 1x use, it has a very usable BDC and okay enough glass for AR use. So far looking at objects out to 1000yds I'm happy. At 1x the image is not as flat, the reticle is brighter than I expecting but not PST bright but the thick posts at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock make it very easy to pick up.