• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New style Remington 5R?

Jason280

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
What's the general consensus on the new Remington 700P 5R? I have a chance to pick one up, but not sure if its a decent enough deal or not. Its in excellent condition, with a low round count.

Remington 700P 5R

Price would be around $750, but I am curious if its enough of an improvement to justify the additional cost over a Remington Tactical .308. My current bolt .308 gun is a 20" 700 Tactical, and I have added a previous gen 5R take-off stock. I know the 700P is threaded with oversized bolt knob, but is the barrel that much better on the 5R over the Tactical to justify the cost difference? Also, how much of an improvement is the 40X style trigger over the X-mark?

I've owned a couple of the previous gen 700 5R's with 24" barrels, and they were all great shooters....are the newer models just as good or better?

Have one, I changed out the trigger but can't compare because I've never shot a tactical. Shooting sub MOA surpressed with my recipe

750 for a 5r is a good deal. Figure you could sell the hs if you didn't want it for 200 making it 550. That leaves you an improved barrel at the price point of a tactical. The tactical stock is a crap hogue that'll you'll want to replace anyways putting them on equal footing there so why not get the 5r if you want to add something to the stable.

Now would I get it to replace what you already have? No. Value in use is always higher than market value and for that reason it wouldn't be worth it to me if you're not looking to get something already anyways.

I recently got a 24" version, and for a bone stock rifle it shoots very well( MOA or better)
I purchased a Timney trigger for it, but have yet to install it because I actually like the 40x; it's a bit heavy out of the box, but can easily be adjusted lighter.
In my opinion, the hs stock is better, and the 40x is better than the x mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i thought this thread was going to be about the Gen2 Remington. i don't see how the rifle you posted is any newer than the Gen 2 rifles released with in the past year or 2 maybe

I've found the bolt timing to be shit on many of the new 700s, including 5Rs. I purchased one last summer and the guys at the gun store had to dig through 4 rifles in the back to find one that suited me in regards to this matter. The issue seems to be worse with the stainless actions. I recently built a rifle using a brand new R700 single shot action and it had no cam action at all with bolt lift/closure. It cocked the firing mechanism but that's it, no assist in extraction. I'm a 700 guy but buyer beware of these problems. My buddy had already purchased the single shot action online so we were stuck with it. Just check them out before buying is my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you mean by "Bolt timing".??

Timing in when certain aspects of the action interface with one another. Take a thousandth off the face and everything behind it will be altered accordingly from where the lugs sit on locking into battery to where the trigger gets set but mostly people are concerned with when you lift the bolt the angled part on the bolt should rotate along the angled portion of the action providing extraction help. If it doesnt and rotates all the way around before they meet the only extraction provided is you jerking it out of the chamber with your muscular force rather than using the mechanical advantage built into the design of the action. If you go into a store lots of the RR prefix actions will open up before either of those two surfaces meet one another, my 223 action has this issue but its not worth it to me to get it repaired, I just stopped neck sizing and using super hot loads that would lead to tight extraction issues.

Mr Dixons previous postings on the subject were on the scout and I cant find them but they were very well done.

Copying LRIs sales spiel from their website https://www.longriflesinc.com/pages/...ng-tig-welding

"SERVICES - PRIMARY EXTRACTION TIMING & TIG WELDING

Primary extraction is expressed as a rotational motion converted to a linear one through the use of a ramp type feature found on the bolt handle and the receiver. Its sole purpose is to allow the shooter a convenient means of getting the fired cartridge out of the grasp of the chamber for easy extraction.

Timing is the relationship of several critical features unique to bolt action firearms. The cocking ramp must be correctly positioned to provide an obstruction free path for the fire control as it travels forward during ignition. Simultaneously, the in-battery clock position must ensure maximum lug surface overlap between the bolt and receiver. This is critical to safety as partial rotation could result in catastrophic failure with potentially lethal consequences. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/1107\/4052\/files\/tig1.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/1107\/4052\/files\/tig2.jpg"}[/IMG2]
Once the cartridge has been fired the primary extraction feature comes into play. On a Remington M700 the bolt handle "strap" (a term we use to describe the band of material on a bolt handle that's soldered to the bolt body) serves multiple roles. It provides surface area for attaching the bolt handle to the bolt body. It's where the opposing primary extraction cam surface is located and also mitigates over rotation of the bolt once rotated out of battery.

Once a receiver is accurized, all of these systems become altered slightly. Accurized actions have material removed from both the receiver and bolt lug surfaces. This increases the gap between the forward side of the bolt handle and the action. The increase causes the primary extraction timing to become delayed; reducing the conversion of rotational motion into a linear one. Moving the handle forward increases the gap between the shroud and back of the bolt body slightly. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/1107\/4052\/files\/tig3.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/1107\/4052\/files\/tig4.jpg"}[/IMG2]
Our process restores these systems back into the proper relationship after accurizing the receiver and bolt. TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding aids in joint reliability by creating a stronger union at the shear point between the bolt handle and bolt body. The process we use is a marriage between welding and soldering. When combined, they offer a very reliable means of attaching the bolt handle to the bolt body. Soldering provides the broad surface adhesion and welding strengthens the shear point of the joint."

Last edited:
Timing in when certain aspects of the action interface with one another. Take a thousandth off the face and everything behind it will be altered accordingly from where the lugs sit on locking into battery to where the trigger gets set but mostly people are concerned with when you lift the bolt the angled part on the bolt should rotate along the angled portion of the action providing extraction help. If it doesnt and rotates all the way around before they meet the only extraction provided is you jerking it out of the chamber with your muscular force rather than using the mechanical advantage built into the design of the action. If you go into a store lots of the RR prefix actions will open up before either of those two surfaces meet one another, my 223 action has this issue but its not worth it to me to get it repaired, I just stopped neck sizing and using super hot loads that would lead to tight extraction issues.

Mr Dixons previous postings on the subject were on the scout and I cant find them but they were very well done.

Copying LRIs sales spiel from their website https://www.longriflesinc.com/pages/...ng-tig-welding

"SERVICES - PRIMARY EXTRACTION TIMING & TIG WELDING

Primary extraction is expressed as a rotational motion converted to a linear one through the use of a ramp type feature found on the bolt handle and the receiver. Its sole purpose is to allow the shooter a convenient means of getting the fired cartridge out of the grasp of the chamber for easy extraction.

Timing is the relationship of several critical features unique to bolt action firearms. The cocking ramp must be correctly positioned to provide an obstruction free path for the fire control as it travels forward during ignition. Simultaneously, the in-battery clock position must ensure maximum lug surface overlap between the bolt and receiver. This is critical to safety as partial rotation could result in catastrophic failure with potentially lethal consequences. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/1107\/4052\/files\/tig1.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/1107\/4052\/files\/tig2.jpg"}[/IMG2]
Once the cartridge has been fired the primary extraction feature comes into play. On a Remington M700 the bolt handle "strap" (a term we use to describe the band of material on a bolt handle that's soldered to the bolt body) serves multiple roles. It provides surface area for attaching the bolt handle to the bolt body. It's where the opposing primary extraction cam surface is located and also mitigates over rotation of the bolt once rotated out of battery.

Once a receiver is accurized, all of these systems become altered slightly. Accurized actions have material removed from both the receiver and bolt lug surfaces. This increases the gap between the forward side of the bolt handle and the action. The increase causes the primary extraction timing to become delayed; reducing the conversion of rotational motion into a linear one. Moving the handle forward increases the gap between the shroud and back of the bolt body slightly. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/1107\/4052\/files\/tig3.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/1107\/4052\/files\/tig4.jpg"}[/IMG2]
Our process restores these systems back into the proper relationship after accurizing the receiver and bolt. TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding aids in joint reliability by creating a stronger union at the shear point between the bolt handle and bolt body. The process we use is a marriage between welding and soldering. When combined, they offer a very reliable means of attaching the bolt handle to the bolt body. Soldering provides the broad surface adhesion and welding strengthens the shear point of the joint."

Great explanation. Thanks!

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my Farley and Stiller BR actions actually cock the firing pin before it hits the extraction cam and there is no cock on close,,that cock on close on most Remingtons drives me nutz,,you shouldnt have to be compressing the firing pin spring when closing the bolt,,Jim Borden and Dwight Scott are supposedly the best at timing an action,,but I am sure there are plenty of smiths across the country that are just as good without the wait times,,,

I have a 700p that shoots really good and got it for about that price. The stock isn't my favorite but it's getting replaced for a GB Renegade. I'd say $750 is a good deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk