• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New suppressor purchases

Noles77

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2018
South carolina
What or where is the best place to go to speed through the Tax stamp process? Ive heard its easier to do online now. I had to do alot of driving and leg work to have mine done 15 years ago

Silencer Shop does everything digital. That’s who all 11 of mine were/are through. Haven’t had an issue yet. 👍🏼

Thanks… it was a work discussion topic today and i knew id heard of a place that handled it all but didnt wanna hand out bad info so i asked here

I’ve used Silencer Shop and have been happy.

I’ve read on SH that Capitol Armory also is great in hand-holding a guy during the process.

Edit: forgot I actually bought a can from them once. It was before their “concierge-like” service started, but everything went smooth.

Last edited:
Last two of my suppressors shipped straight to my home, no going to the FFL, all paperwork e-signed.

I'm personally not a fan of this. I've read people's cans getting lost or stolen. Not sure if it's happened with capitol yet but it's happened with silencer central.

My ffl is 15 minutes away. I get an approval and I can go grab it on my way home from work. I don't have to wait 1-3 days for shipping or risk it being lost/stolen in the mail.

If a can gets lost or stolen on the way to my ffl, they'll just send another and the delay is another form 3. If a can approved under your name is lost/stolen, thats another form 4 (9 month delay) and probably a bit of a headache for you.

But to each their own.

To TS Capitol and Silencershop make the process very simple and are great to work with. I've done business with both but currently use Silencershop for everything.

I'm personally not a fan of this. I've read people's cans getting lost or stolen. Not sure if it's happened with capitol yet but it's happened with silencer central.

My ffl is 15 minutes away. I get an approval and I can go grab it on my way home from work. I don't have to wait 1-3 days for shipping or risk it being lost/stolen in the mail.

If a can gets lost or stolen on the way to my ffl, they'll just send another and the delay is another form 3. If a can approved under your name is lost/stolen, thats another form 4 (9 month delay) and probably a bit of a headache for you.

But to each their own.

To TS Capitol and Silencershop make the process very simple and are great to work with. I've done business with both but currently use Silencershop for everything.
I bought before Capitol charged tax and while they had a promo. Each can was at least $150 savings when accounting for transfer and SS kiosk fees, priced competitively due to promo, and I didn’t have to deal with local FFL knuckleheads.

Haven’t lost a can yet and for me the extra ~3-4 weeks wasn’t a problem.

Reactions: Clayman
OP, silencershop makes it the simplest, but doing an eform through any other dealer is hardly any more difficult. Either way you’ll have to sign up for an account on the ATF website.

Reactions: USK308
I've done Silencershop and Capitol. I prefer Capitol's logistics.

I will say this, "speed" and "tax stamp" for the average person should never be used in the same sentence.

Reactions: Bluedog82
I've bought a bunch thru SS and one through Capital Armory. CA was okay; SS is much easier. Two things I like about SS better is the the trusts are cheaper and easier(at this point I have the multi-shot trust); and when you're stamp gets approved you pick up your suppressor. With CA, the trust is $120 and when your stamp is approved you have to go through a rigamarole with them to do a digital 4473 and then wait on them to ship it. Also, they mail your CLEO. So once the stamp is approved, they contact you for your CLEO info and then they mail a letter to your CLEO and you have to wait some mandatory time( it was like 10 days or 2 weeks). So once my stamp was approved it took another 30 days for the suppressor to show up with phone calls, digital signatures, letters mailed etc. I will avoid doing another suppressor with CA.
Ii always wondered how big of a pain in the ass the TYD schemes were... Glad I stuck with SS for all of mine. Like you said, once the stamp is back, go pick it up,, fill out a 4473, take it home. No hassle.

I go through CA just about everything. Never had them ship me suppressor since I just take the 2.5 hour drive and go and get whatever is approved. Something I rather go get than having the postal system lose it in the mail. Plus I like talking to the crew at CA.

My SS kiosk equipped SOT is the second house up the street from me. I walk out the back door and pick up my Suppressors without my wife even knowing I'm gone.
Lucky guy! At that rate I’m sorta surprised your FFL doesn’t just tie your suppressors to an arrow and gently loft them through an open window onto a soft pillow or something.

Edit: with a mint attached

Well, the downside is when you lay your head down at night and wish you could pick up that new toy you just bought, you have to think that it's only 175 yds away, out of your reach, for the next 9 months....
Didn’t think of that one…now I’m imagining you out for an evening stroll and you catching a 👀 of your FFL playing pew pew pew with your, say, <insert NFA item> in his half-drawn window… 😮

I've bought a bunch thru SS and one through Capital Armory. CA was okay; SS is much easier. Two things I like about SS better is the the trusts are cheaper and easier(at this point I have the multi-shot trust); and when you're stamp gets approved you pick up your suppressor. With CA, the trust is $120 and when your stamp is approved you have to go through a rigamarole with them to do a digital 4473 and then wait on them to ship it. Also, they mail your CLEO. So once the stamp is approved, they contact you for your CLEO info and then they mail a letter to your CLEO and you have to wait some mandatory time( it was like 10 days or 2 weeks). So once my stamp was approved it took another 30 days for the suppressor to show up with phone calls, digital signatures, letters mailed etc. I will avoid doing another suppressor with CA.

It's actually a seven day mandatory wait on 4473 or you can also just go pick it up at the store. Their trust is $79, not $120. My first CA arrived super quick, like on day 7 and my second took 10 days before it was shipped mostly because I didn't fill out the 4473 right away. I'll honestly take that vs. taking a 3-hour round trip through traffic on I-35 (longer if there's an accident and there's always an accident). The 4473 takes all of five minutes to fill out and CA always files/mails everything far more quickly than SS ever did. SS tends to batch submissions where CA does not so there are time savings on the front side. And of course there are savings on the FFL side of things. My FFL is $120 for an NFA item vs. $30 to ship to my door via CA. Driving would be a tank of gas so likely $60 plus wasted time.

My SS experience was fine but felt CA was more convenient for my needs. CA also lists current average wait times right on the home page. CA also offered me a better price. Sometimes it pays to call!

Reactions: SCGunner84
In my experience there is extra time with SS on the front end, and extra time with CA on the back end. I didn't understand about either going into it, but basically prepare yourself for up to an extra month either at the beginning or the end of the approval period to work through the various hurdles.

I would buy from either CA or SS myself, the processes that add time to the beginning or end of the waiting period are unpredictable, and not entirely controllable by either SS or CA or yourself. Sometimes they may go well, sometimes they won't. I imagine there are other places fine to purchase from as well.