• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Surgeon XL...almost complete

krecon1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2003
Abq, NM
After a year accumulating parts and grabbing a new barrel from a member here on the hide, my .338 Lapua is a little closer to completion. Just arrived from Surgeon yesterday; six week build time from them.

Specs:

Surgeon XL Action
27" Fluted Kriger BBL; 1/10 Twist
Remington 700 Trigger @ 3lbs
McMillan A5 Stock with all the tidbits added
Badger FTE Muzzle Brake
OD Green Cerakote

Next on the list is a set of Badger Rings and probably a Nightforce 5.5-22x Optic. Was going to get a S&B PMII, but figure the NF should suffice. Thoughts on the rifle or optic selection?

xl1.JPG

Re: New Surgeon XL...almost complete

Krecon,

Love the build mine will be very similar except I am having dark earth coloured metal nad T4A Stock..............Same dilemma to buy SB or US Opticw or Premier or just get NXS which for what I do will suffice.

I think we all know the NXS will do the job well its just wether you want to "know" you have the SB beauty of it is you can always run a NF for abit and then upgarde later if you want and get most $$ back

Nice specs. I have a Nightforce 5.5-22 x56 on my 338 LM. I have reached out to 1575 yards without using the highest mag. Sure S&B is nice, but for the price of a S&B, you can almost get two of the Nightforce. JMHO. Don't forget the range report.

In terms of parts, it's almost a twin of the one I'm expecting in the not too distant future - just different colors. Only thing I'd have done different if ordering it now would have been to go with KMW's adjustable cheek piece.

I have a USO 3.2-17 I was going to put on it, but ended up mounting it on my .308. Now I'm debating what to drop on my .338 as well. Current thinking is to wait and have a look at the 5-25 Premier, or snag a 5-25 USO if I find a good price on one.

George from GA precision emailed me last week and said my 338lm should be done in the next two weeks and i cant wait.