• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Swarovski smart scope?

Great cinematography.....beautiful scenery......I'm sure the scope is amazing but with all those features it will probably be beyond a lot of peoples budgets. For me....I'd be concerned about the robustness of the electronics if a guy should happen to stumble and fall on a long hike up a mountain. Otherwise......looks pretty amazing.

I saw this last night and said, " I bet that sells for over 6K!" I want to see how it performs though

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

I wish i was classy enough to hunt wearing a necktie...

I'm curious how durable it is. I would hate to be relying on it only for it to fail or break in the middle of a hunt.

It will have to be tested, I will test the crap out of it! How would it do on a misty day, foggy, snowing, etc.. will it disrupt the laser? That's what I worry about

This looks like a premium version of the Burris Eliminator with some atmospherics and Bluetooth added. There is also no ability to dial elevation or windage in the field - they are only adjusted when you open panels and adjust with a wrench.

Also, it has a 40mm tube and weighs 38 ounces. The hunters will cry when they find out.

I'm sure it will be a great scope. Swarovski only makes nice products. For the purposes of long range precision rifles, I don't see this as being a good fit.

http://aa.swarovskioptik.com/download/pdf/Manuals_dS.pdf

It automaticly adjusts the 2 meters per second and 4mps wind hold marks in the reticle based on winddrift data loaded in to the scope and magnification/electronic ffp.

If this scope can hold it together on an AR10 the amount of fast accurate shooting you can put downrange on pop up targets from 100 to 1000yds is mindblowing..

Cool video, seemed like a large elevation move for 180 meters.
Gentleman's attire as well.
Will be interesting on the price point as well as how it holds up in the wild.

R

I will gladly test it out and see if it truly works

I'm going to need to get a hunting blazer and throw a tie on next time I'm deer hunting... I guess I'm just not that classy. I could just see the tie dipped red while field dressing.

Was that a movie or an ad? I'd like to watch that on my 4k HDTV. What was the deal with the shooter playing around with the zoom ring, it was like he was using that as focus? And then you have to press the button on top of the scope to range, hopefully there's a scan mode that will keep feeding data without having to press the button. One of the biggest issues with any of these options is wind, obviously it should have bluetooth to connect to a Kestrel and the like but I'd like to see a solution where you could plug a wind meter into the top turret or something like that. What I do like is that they kept the scope looking like a scope and not like the Eliminator. Personally I think I like the idea of the Revic more than this, sure there is a benefit to the rangefinder built into the scope itself, but what do you do if electronics fail, in the end you're left with just a duplex reticle. I'd like to see how this technology and others like it mature over the next 5 years or so...

Those Europeans and their suppressors! I sure hope we can get the Hearing Protection Act passed, it's absurd how much red tape we have to go through to get suppressors today.

Last edited:
Wondering if he missed , the way he racked another round …. Most deer shots I hear of round here are under 300
or so , not rocket science to hold that even with a duplex or fch . We want to see that tech in a real scope , with
plenty of elevation adjustment , proper subtended reticle and ex adjustable turrets . 1500 LRF range please ?

Swaro is hugely popular with wealthy hunters worldwide ( not me ) , they seem to know their market well .

Asked a guy who outfits people such as those in the video and was told that it will hit US at the 2018 Shotshow. Testing on Europeans just like drugs. Heard they are making a thermal scope also which has built in rangefinder.

Last edited:
Hearing that this is European sales only right now.

Thats what I read. I did watch the video, looks impressive and has merit for all applications. I'm interested in Gunwerks new scope as well based off of the Gen 2 razor(same glass and tube??). Basically the same concept except you might have to dial with the info displayed in the view of the scope???? "The way of the fuuuuture!" Leo Decaprio as Howard Hues. It's a Swaro, so you know it will only have the best glass. I don't think anyone can argue that...?? Or can You, this is the Hide and people around here do like to argue about glass. So argue on boys, I mean Men??

IanHusaberg out

Last edited:
A little food for thought;

Do you guys think that in 5 or 10 years, we will look back and say "can you believe that in the old days (meaning today) we had to manually adjust dope"? "Geez, that Swarovski Smartscope sure was ahead of it's time". I can't imagine that any of the other high end scope manufacturers (the smart ones anyway) are sitting around saying "awww.....look at those fools at Swarovski and their hair brained ideas". I suspect that other manufacturers have their own skunkworks projects going on right now, they're just not talking about any of it yet. Great glass, turrets and reticles are a wonderful thing, but in order to distinguish yourself against the competition, you have to have something new. You can only flog those "old" features so far, for so long. The hooks to draw in new customers is new technology. Something new, something different. Something cooler and flashier than any other competitor has. Something that looks more like the high res game I play on my computer or the high res movies or games I can play on my cell phone. The question from customers to manufacturers has become not "have you done this yet", but "why haven't you done this, your competition already has". Swarovski occupies the category of the competition that already has done it. I'm also confident they are already working on successive generations as I'm typing this. Look at the life cycles of cell phones. There is ten times the computing power in my iPhone 6 as what was in the Apollo spacecraft that took the first man to the moon.

I think a good analogy is slide rules being obsoleted by calculators, Landlines being obsoleted by cell phones, Sextant/compasses being replaced by GPS, etc. Could we be in the beginning stages of the same thing happening with scopes ? With electronics design, manufacturing and microminiaturization being at such an advanced level today, I can't see the electronics being a limiting factor. True, optics engineers are not particularly well suited to design advanced robust and rugged electronics, but there are no shortages of people that can handle the electronics design and software and do it well.

I'm thinking that in the not too distant future, we will find ourselves referring to various scope generations as either "Analog" or "Digital". When I was younger, my passion was professional audio (concert sound systems). I loved it, but it was feast or famine and I had a new family to feed. I got out of it at the tail end of the analog days. Pro audio sure went digital in a huge way. I'd bet money we are in the beginning stages of that happening in optics right now.

Thoughts ?

Threadcutter, I do see technology continuing to advance in the tactical/sport optics world; however, there is one big factor that will always be at play and that is reliability. For example, I live in an area that gets sparse cell reception so I have a landline because it is reliable and I know it's not going to drop a call. Electronics break much more frequently than mechanical equipment (by and large). Many scopes today have illumination built in, so they have electronics, but the scope can still be used even if illumination stops working, as long as manufacturer's take into consideration that the technology they put into a scope should be backed up by a mechanical alternative then I think those are the technologies that will gain acceptance. With the Swaro of this thread one of the issues I see is the reticle, without the electronics the reticle is a simple duplex, I would feel much better if the reticle offered was a 4WX design or similar. I think for this reason alone we will still and always see simple mechanical designs in scopes and they will sell. This is why I like the idea of the Revic, the scopes is completely usable even if the HUD fails for whatever reason.

Hi Bill,

All your points make perfect sense and I agree. And, I'm not trying to come across like I think todays technology and characteristics are going to suddenly be relegated to the scrap heap. Being born and raised in Seattle, I was exposed to many things aviation related, because of Boeing and the fact that my dad had a small plane. I remember when "fly by wire" was first introduced and thinking "Oh hell no", you're never going to get me on a plane that has FBW. I have never heard of any kind of serious accident because of a FBW failure. Could have happened, I've just never heard of one. And guess who has been riding on FBW planes for probably the last 30 years ? Yep, me and about 3 billion other people in the world. The standards that FBW is designed and built to are extraordinary. The level of quality of a product is directly related to the level of investment made in the initial design. I understand that rule isn't always true, but by and large it is. With FBW systems, I'm confident that nothing has been left to chance. I think most scope manufacturers that are considering integration of electronics into their scopes understand that they could put themselves out of business if their products fail on a large scale. At least they should understand that.

I tried looking for some info on the Revic, but their website doesn't say much. Sounds interesting though. I agree, the default back to traditional optics in case of failure of the elex's is a very smart approach. Can you post a link of Frank's review ? I went over to scout and saw reference to it, but couldn't locate it.

I have no complaints about todays optics (other than price), but I can see there will be a point in the future where we're going to see an onslaught of more commercialized optoelectronics. As much as it pains me to say this, I can see the Chinese being at the forefront. Their quality will probably be sketchy in the beginning, but if it happens, they will have opened up markets that other manufacturers will be forced to follow, or possibly perish. Once other manufacturers enter, the overall quality will probably improve.

Look at what has happened with the price/performance ratio of NV and lasers. I can easily see integration of electronics into traditional riflescopes go down the same path.

Thats what I read. I did watch the video, looks impressive and has merit for all applications. I'm interested in Gunwerks new scope as well based off of the Gen 2 razor(same glass and tube??). Basically the same concept except you might have to dial with the info displayed in the view of the scope???? "The way of the fuuuuture!" Leo Decaprio as Howard Hues. It's a Swaro, so you know it will only have the best glass. I don't think anyone can argue that...?? Or can You, this is the Hide and people around here do like to argue about glass. So argue on boys, I mean Men??

IanHusaberg out

Do you know where to find info on this new Gunwerks scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk