• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New SWFA SS Line of Scopes, My Thoughts... VIDEO

JRose

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Back in BHam!!!
DSC_1166.jpg

SS10xHD mounted on GAP 6.5 Creedmoor at the local 510y range

Ok, so a few months ago there was a thread in which scopes were being compared (go figure) and the Super Sniper 10xHD got thrown in the mix being compared to a USO ST10. Well, seeing as I used to have an old SS 16x, and an ST10, my reply went something to the effect of "you're smoking crack if you think that POS SS is anything close to as good as a ST10..."

It didn't take long before I was corrected in that the new line of SS scopes were totally different, and completely re-vamped. I was told that I was comparing apples to oranges, and that my lack of experience with the new line of SS scopes really made my opinion uneducated and therefore, worthless.

So I ate my crow, and went upon my business. There's where I thought it was over.

Later, I get a PM from SWFA saying that they really wanted me to try out the new SS scopes so that I could make an honest opinion. Chris and Brady had seen the thread, and asked if I would be willing to let them send me the scopes, try them out, and then give them my honest opinion after using them.

While I appreciated the offer, I told them it wasn't really necessary, that I realized after watching/reading FRANK'S REVIEW that there were differences with the new line, and that it was my mistake.

So a few months go by and I see Brady at SHOT show. As we were talking we got on the subject of the SS scopes and he let me know that the offer was still open to try them out.

I get home and think, what the heck. So I contact Chris and Brady and tell them game on, send the scope. Now if you think about it, the fact that they were so eager to send me these scopes, knowing my affliction for high end optics, show's their confidence in their product. They could only expect that if not comparing their scopes to other high end optics I owned like Hensoldt, S&B, and USO, I would at least have a high standard that I would be holding them to. Also, I was told to take the scopes, use them for a while, and give us your <span style="font-weight: bold">honest</span> opinion. Good, bad, or ugly... I don't think you can ask for more than that, and I generally have no problem giving my opinion...
grin.gif

Fast forward, my box from SWFA arrives!!!!

DSC_1150.jpg

I was expecting a 10xHD, they sent a 10x, 3-9, sunshade, ARD, Butler Creeks, and a BOBRO QD mount. I could tell that this was gonna be fun....
laugh.gif

Initial impressions were good. Everything looked good, and the glass seemed to be nice, reticles straight, etc. I very much liked the fact that the parallax on the 10x adjusted down to 50y. Very nice touch. I was initially bothered by the lack of parallax adjustment on the 3-9x, but soon realized that I never had issue with parallax in the scope, and that it wasn't needed. The BOBRO mount looked to be very high quality, and I liked the single lever with the safety.

So the first thing I did was pull the turrets to check out the new internals. BEEFCAKE. A much better improvement over the one that I used to have many years ago! The adjustments were positive, no mush, and audible. Not one complaint here...

DSC_1154.jpg

Next I made a chart to test the sub-tension of the reticle, and mounted them up.

DSC_1165.jpg

Both scopes reticles were spot on, sub-tended correctly, so now it's time to shoot. I first did a basic "ladder test" in which I just dialed a mil and shot, all the way to 14 mils. I did this just as an initial test on tracking/repeatability. As you can see here, again spot on.

DSC_1167.jpg

Next I did a box test with both of the scopes. I have video results of that I plan on getting up ASAP.

Now while I wasn't going to take scopes that weren't mine and throw them or blow them up, I did ask Chris about putting it on the .50 BMG. He replied not a problem at all, wear it out. I put around 50 rounds through the AR50, never once did it not return to zero.

DSC_1185.jpg

I have some footage of the test as well as testing the BOBRO mount that I'm trying to edit together. I'll hope to have the video up soon, but here's a quick summary of what I found.

The SS scopes are probably one of the best values out there I've seen recently. I put a few hundred rounds through them, enough to say that I was impressed. While I won't waste my fingertips trying to compare glass, I will say that there was never a time that I felt like I was hindered by glass quality. At low light I could still see .223 bullet holes in paper @ 100y. I could see 6.5 bullet holes in paper at 300y, and resolution was fantastic. I will say that I was overly impressed by the glass quality in such an affordable scope, the dead nuts tracking was a huge added bonus.

Complaints I have with the SS scopes....

Mil-Dot reticle! While it's nice to finally having matching turrets/reticle, I really wish there was other reticle options (which it looks like soon, there will be!). Other than that I really tried to find more things wrong with the scope, but just couldn't. I know the lack of illumination and zero stops is features that most people cry about, but those are two things I could care less about. I literally never use my illumination in my other scopes, and personally I'd rather have the cheaper cost than a feature I never use, but I know some people do use it, and can see where it would be a valuable feature. As far as the zero stops, it's no secret of what I think about those.... I think it's a "buzz feature" that people feel they have to have, when really they don't need at all. Is it nice? Yes. Worth adding cost? Not in my opinion... The SS has a very user friendly azimuth indicator that can be utilized very easily to know where your zero is.

The eye box is good and eye relief is very generous. The hash marks on the turrets stop exactly on the indicator and never once did I get a POI shift. I even wailed on the turrets both bottoming them out, and toping them out hard on the stops, and the scope always tracked true, and returned to absolute zero.

The BOBRO mount is a nice piece. I have limited experience with QD mounts so I don't think I can offer much advise on this, but after pulling it on and off the groups stayed somewhat tight. I'll let the video footage show the results, and you guys with more experience with QD mounts can be the judge.

My only complaint with the BOBRO was that since the cap bolts fasten from the bottom, you have to take apart the latching system to properly torque two of them. Kind of a pain, and you damn sure better be careful when you take it off, there's springs and detents in there! LOL

All in all I have to say that it was a pleasure getting a chance to use these scopes. I loved the crap out of them, and they are really excellent. So good, one of the guys helping me out called SWFA and bought the 3-9x we had here LOL.

I think SWFA hit a home run here, and commend them for taking the reins and making an awesome affordable product for us. I think any of you hesitant to try out a SS due to past reputation like I did, will be missing out on a great product, and only doing yourself a disservice.

We all like high end optics, but lets face it. I, like most of you I'm sure, can't afford $2500-3500 optics on all of our rifles. There HAS to be a scope that can fit the bill for under or around $1k that has the features that we as long range shooters need, and I think that the SS is filling that vacuum. I now highly anticipate the new variable SS, and after a few months shooting these, if it's cut from the same cloth as these scopes I've been using, I can honestly say it's on my "buy list".

Stay tuned for the video. It's nothing fancy like one of Franks videos, but it will add image to text, which everyone likes.

Meanwhile, I encourage new comers, or people who haven't seen it, to watch Frank's review that I linked previously. He really hit all the same points I did, and my conclusions pretty much mirrored his.

Jason

*VIDEO*
Part 1
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qsVmkeRMULw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qsVmkeRMULw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Part 2
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/utt0ewsqans"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/utt0ewsqans" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: The New SWFA SS Line of Scopes, My Thoughts...

Good deal,,,glad you didnt show up and say Hold this "scope" frankie and I will hit it and your thumb with this hammer test..
cry.gif

Ask If they would like an ASM1 test ? I have a scope still in water test stage in the Bottoms creek another week I will pull it and feed the goldfish.
grin.gif

Nice review, glad to see you join the SS club. Next you should try the 1-4x SS scopes, they are even better with the extra features.

Great review!! I too have a 10xHD and the newer 1-4xHD and I can't wait to check out the new 5-20...if its anything like the others it will be a real winner.

nice writeup!

ive got a 10xHD, and it it flawless.

i own 2 10x non hds, and they perform perfect as well, along w the other 3 in my group of friends. not a huge sample, but we do use them in the field, toss them in the truck, and shoot everything from 223-338s under them. anyone we meet who wants to get into LR we tell them, just get a SS - they simply work

all the super sniper products we have used over the years have met or exceeded expectations

i cant say the same for the few 'budget priced feature laden' scopes we have tried - they all failed. not one lasted a year. usualy tracking problems, some spun reticles...

ive sold or trashed everything but my 3 SSs' and my PH. got 2 more rifles to scope, and a 1-4 and either a 10xHD or possibly one of the 5-20s will be here eventually

keep up the great work SWFA!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My only complaint with the BOBRO was that since the cap bolts fasten from the bottom, you have to take apart the latching system to properly torque two of them. Kind of a pain, and you damn sure better be careful when you take it off, there's springs and detents in there! LOL </div></div>

Jason, just a little tip but you can properly torque those difficult to access nuts on a Bobro mount without disassembling the QD portion-- if you cut a short straight length off an allen key you can then use that allen key stub combined with a crows foot on a torque wrench to torque the nuts without disassembling the mount in any way. Just remember to orient the crows foot properly on the torque wrench and use the right formula to calculate the proper setting for the torque wrench.

Count me in as another person who now likes the SWFA-SS line. I purchased one of the 1-4HD models a couple months ago and really like it. Great reticle design, features, and glass clarity. It might be my first SS purchase but it has made such a good impression it won't be my last.

While I have a 4-16 and a 6-24 Vortex PST en route to me now they both might end up being replaced by the upcoming SWFA 5-20HD if the PST's don't meet my expectations.

I do have an AR15 that needs an optic, and I do plan on buying a 1-4HD for it...

I'm chompin to try it, especially since I got to mess with one locally at the range that a local shooter had.

Jason,

Thanks for the review, well done....

Nice, review. I have the 10XHD myself and I love it. I'm also eagerly waiting to pick up a 5-20X as soon as they come out

Nice review! Chris and Brady are seriously GTG, and the 5-20 and 1-4 may be in my future, esp if the 5-20 will have a broken down mil reticle, mildots are a killer for me.

Nice review. I want to wait and see how the 5-20hd reviews from the hiders when they come available.

Nice review JRose. I have always preached the values of the SS line of scopes. You can have a scope with all the cool little gadgets and wizbangs on but if it doesn't work, what good is it? I know plenty of people that have SS scopes and all of them have been happy and none of them have ever had any problems with it. I am really looking forward to the new 5-20x SS. I love that new mil dot style reticle they have coming out!

BTW, the Bobros should have come with a short 90 degree allen wrench to be able to get to the caps. At least mine did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

BTW, the Bobros should have come with a short 90 degree allen wrench to be able to get to the caps. At least mine did. </div></div>

It did, but I'm a bit OCD and prefer to put a torque wrench on everything.

I use a German torque wrench....

Nice work, good review and pic's. I would reeeeeally like to see a review on the 1-4x for an AR build in mind.

Who makes/where did you get that niffty looking little range bag in the image below?

DSC_1165.jpg

Thanks,

-Pat

Pat,

That's a S.O. Tech Mission Go Bag. Great range bag...

I forgot to add (it'll be in the video), but the 3-9 was a GREAT scope for the EBR M1A. I still prefer a 1-4 on the M1A's, but for those wanting more mag, the 3-9 fit well on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice murse bro! </div></div>

I believe the OP prefers the term "satchel"... and there are skittles in there.

The new SS scopes are like patato chips, one just makes ya want more. I'm looking forward to #5. My oldest is nine years old with no problems. Great review.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice murse bro! </div></div>

</div></div>

I can verify this statement.

As far as the scopes are concerned, I spent time behind them as well and they are definately quality. Our firing line was entirely composed of S&B, hensoldt and these SS scopes. I can honestly say that when we were trading around rifles, you were not "aware" that you were shooting through a scope that was 1/3 or less the price of all the other glass on the line. I at no point felt hindered by the HD. Funny the "wrong way turrets" didn't even mess me up.
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice murse bro! </div></div>

</div></div>

It's a European shoulder bag...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iuygRWVwuUI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iuygRWVwuUI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Zach-Galifinakis-Hangover-Satchel.jpg

Haters gonna hate... All you fuggers are out of the wolf pack...

Fugger's is right!

I take one quick look at it and think..."Man, that would make a perfect range bag"

And now I'm forced to sleep with hordes of delightfully whorish women to prove my prowess.....*Sigh*..... The sacrifices a man has to make in his lifetime.

Thanks J,

-Pat

They will multiple on you. I have swapped out three scopes so far for the 3x9 on hunting rifles....

For what it is worth, I have more Super Sniper scopes in my safe than any other brand. I get an opportunity to look at a lot of scopes every year (as my articles attest). However, as far as actually purchasing scopes for my own use goes, I do not have unlimited budget, and just like everyone else I try to get the best for my money.

Perhaps, I should do an article on what I have on my rifles when I am not testing scopes and why.

I currently have the original 10x42 Super Sniper along with the 6x42 version of that scope. I also own a 3-9x42 and 10x42HD. Some time later this month, I expect to get my hands on the new 5-20x50 and there is a good chance that I will not be sending it back: my 338Lapua needs a permanent scope.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Perhaps, I should do an article on what I have on my rifles when I am not testing scopes and why.
ILya</div></div>

ILya, I always appreicate your time and effort in doing optic reviews and would also appreciate a review of why you buy what you buy, just like the rest of us w/o unlimited budgets. Obviously if I could have one setup I would go top notch and be done.. but who here can do that, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the SWFA warranty like? </div></div>

It is the best warranty available. You have a problem, they will fix it. Fully Transferable. They have even warrantied the old Tasco scopes that were made before they bought the Super Sniper name. Have nor fear.

Great review! Makes me feel even better about the SS 10xHD I just bought with the Group Buy SWFA put on!

Thanks. I hope to be able to finish the video Wed evening.

Ok, I was supposed to finish the video tonight but got held over at work... I won't be off until Saturday and have a lot to do that day. I promise to do everything I can to get it done Saturday night since I work again Sunday...
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your video getting close to done? </div></div>

Should be done Monday evening. I got held over at work twice this past couple of weeks and have only had one day off in the past 10, and a work day for me is 24 hours... So I've worked 120 hours straight, off a day, than another 120 hours.... Not fun.

My friend that is helping me with the editing is available Monday evening so we're gonna wrap it up then. We're almost done, just need some finishing touches.

120 hrs. straight? Man, you are my hero. I just did a 72 and thought about hanging myself in the hose tower. I'd be giving a new meaning to "going postal" if they kept me here for 120. Looking forward to your video when you have time to finish it.

I am tired of these walls brother, but the overtime will be paying for my new 5-20 SS!
grin.gif

I hear that. I've been putting in as much overtime as I can stand here too. We are looking at pretty much unlimited overtime until at least Thanksgiving. The old timers are retiring in waves and management is slow to start a recruit academy. All those long hours thinking "why in the hell did I answer the page for overtime" suddenly become worth it when the "fun account" gets up to a new rifle or glass. I hear ya brother! Stay safe.

Aw, quit yer bitchin! I'm running our first recruit class since 2008. I dream of getting line overtime! 4/10 sucks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what it is worth, I have more Super Sniper scopes in my safe than any other brand. I get an opportunity to look at a lot of scopes every year (as my articles attest). However, as far as actually purchasing scopes for my own use goes, I do not have unlimited budget, and just like everyone else I try to get the best for my money.

I currently have the original 10x42 Super Sniper along with the 6x42 version of that scope. I also own a 3-9x42 and 10x42HD. Some time later this month, I expect to get my hands on the new 5-20x50 and there is a good chance that I will not be sending it back: my 338Lapua needs a permanent scope.

ILya </div></div>

That first paragraph speaks volumes to me considering the source. Three of the last four scopes I've bought have been SS scopes and I own a total of four. No problems or disapointment with any of them. By actual count I own nine different brands of scopes. The SWFA SS is now my "go to" brand. My next scope will be the new SS 5-20X50.

Are we going to get to see the video today? I'm anxiously waiting to see more SS 5-20x stuff.

Im with Ilya on this one ... I have more SS glass than any other. I WISH I had USO on all my rifles but I can't afford that. I grabbed a 10X HD off the samplelist when they came out and I was sold. The only complaint I have had with my 3-9 and 10x HD model is the zero stop. No its not NEEDED but with only 5 mils a turn would be a nice addition. With the new 5-20 coming in 10 mils a turn that problem is solved. My 10x HD has become the "extra" scope and floats all over the place. Stuck it on my extra 20 inch 308 and off to a 5 day class with one of my Army buds. When it came home it looked like it had just seen a tour in the Stan ... box test and random dot test ... SPOT on. Clean and put back in safe. I realize adding zero stops would increase the cost. While I wish I could gulp the USO kool aid in gallon jugs I can't afford it =| So I feed my optics needs from Chris and company. I was skeptical at first as well till I tried the 10x HD.

I have no doubt the 5-20 will be another quality product like the 1-4 is. My 1-4 donut (capped) has be given some very rough love ... on the verge of abuse and is still kickin.

Sorry, but no video today...

I'm not a technological guy at all, and all the footage is on my friends computer. Unfortunately I forgot today was Memorial day and he's at the river with his lady friend. I'm off again in Thursday, hopefully he'll be home that evening so I can finish it. We've got it 90% done, just have to clean up the editing a little.

Sorry. I'll get it done and up ASAP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, but no video today...

I'm not a technological guy at all, and all the footage is on my friends computer. Unfortunately I forgot today was Memorial day and he's at the river with his lady friend. I'm off again in Thursday, hopefully he'll be home that evening so I can finish it. We've got it 90% done, just have to clean up the editing a little.

Sorry. I'll get it done and up ASAP. </div></div>

You must be punished

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You must be punished </div></div>

I wonder if this is the first time JRose has heard that sentence?...

Josh