• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 'Tactical Hunter' Build: Thoughts?

pcweidman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
www.facebook.com
Hey forum hope you all are well! Been a while since I posted about a rifle and thought I would throw out my new build to you.

I started off to build an M40 type clone that I would use for friendly competitions, hunting, and such. Then I got to reading about how serious folks are about throwing around the M40 name associated to a rifle and then decided I would not bastardize that name but call my new build basically a 'Tactical Hunter'. I wanted to throw out what I was trying to accomplish and see if anyone had any thoughts. The rifle will have a heavy military essence but used heavily for short to medium range bolt gun applications for Boar and Deer hunting as well as Yote killing. Mark and the guys at Accurate Ordnance in GA will be doing the final assembly and accurizing of the rifle. They built my 300WM AI and its a beautiful, tough, durable, Sub MOA gun and I love it. They are class gentlemen and always appreciate repeat business, referrals, and I like supporting southern companies. This gun will not have anywhere near the AI price tag but a fun little gun none the less:

- Remington 700 SA .308
- M40 Profile 22 inch barrel 1:11 twist with Little Bastard Brake
- 'Old Style' Remington trigger tuned to 3.5lbs (Not sure of the model. Just came across this trigger from a local gunsmith)
- Bell and Carlson OD Green M40 stock
- Wyett Bottom metal and 5rd box magazine
- Redfield 20MOA rail
- Jon Aadland low rings
- SWFA 10x fixed 'Unertl' style clone optic MOA with Mil Dot Reticle

*Bottom Metal, Barreled Action to be be Cerakote in Flat Dark Earth. Rail and Rings to be done in OD Green.

I am going to be shooting primarily 168gr projectiles no larger considering the barrel twist and probably be using Hornady Match 168gr AMAX for hunting and SMK for everything else. I will work the rifle and load up in my Applied Ballistics software and hope for the best!

Thanks Guys!

Sure Pfiddy I feel ya. It went in the mail today and ill post pics as soon as possible! Was really looking to see what the most opinionated group of guys on the planet thought about the idea of the gun. Will get pics ASAP.

If it were mine, and I were actually going to carry the thing hunting, I'd have a McM htg stock instead of the B&C; I'd go with a 20" instead of a 22", or a sendero instead of M40 contour, or both; I'd set the trigger at 2.5#; and I'd probably go with a different scope. not that there is a thing wrong with the SWFA, I'd just want something lighter that could actually adjust magnification below 10x, that was also designed to make the most of light transmission in low light. I also do not care for brakes on hunting rifles, especially in a heavy .308.

a 1-11" twist will shoot just about any projectile you want in a .308, including the 190's. although I, like you, really like the 168's for the shooting I do.

these are all merely opinions, someone else will have a completely different set of opinions. another opinion I have is that you've described a great setup, and I want to see the pics when it arrives!

p.s. also like those cerakote colors

I think 20 is in order as well. Going to stay with the stock bc I already have it. Everything you see her i already own and will have put together. However hahco or anyone else for that matter. I was always told or went by the school of thought that a 1-11 or 1-12 could not spin up 168+ size bullets as well as 1-10 or 1-9 in the .308 caliber. I am a huge believer in Litz Applied Ballistics and have read the all his articles as well as AB cover to cover twice. It seems to me with the combination of form factor, velocity, twist ration, and barrel length that in the 20 inch 1-11 twist I should stay away from heavier bullets for gyroscopic stability over longer shots or even the inability to twist the bullet up well enough for sub moa shots at shorter ranges. Given this is a hunting, friendly comp (sniper poker), plinking rifle I will have as a fun tool; not a bench rest gun. But, for sake of conversation????

I expect some other folks will be around to provide more specific answers, but all I can say is that I've never had any issues with 175's and 180's in a 1-12" twist. I've got some 190 SMK's to try in it too. The 168's do all that I need, though, and I've got a small supply. so that's what I typically use.

I think 20 is in order as well. Going to stay with the stock bc I already have it. Everything you see her i already own and will have put together. However hahco or anyone else for that matter. I was always told or went by the school of thought that a 1-11 or 1-12 could not spin up 168+ size bullets as well as 1-10 or 1-9 in the .308 caliber. I am a huge believer in Litz Applied Ballistics and have read the all his articles as well as AB cover to cover twice. It seems to me with the combination of form factor, velocity, twist ration, and barrel length that in the 20 inch 1-11 twist I should stay away from heavier bullets for gyroscopic stability over longer shots or even the inability to twist the bullet up well enough for sub moa shots at shorter ranges. Given this is a hunting, friendly comp (sniper poker), plinking rifle I will have as a fun tool; not a bench rest gun. But, for sake of conversation????