• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns New Taran Tact 2011 combat master

Biggie1976

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2017
Rock Hill SC
A buddy got his today and this weapon is absolutely beautiful. It’s a shame the relationship with STI didn’t continue but from what I see they TTI did a great job

So this new one is now complete build by Taran. No STI base or anything like that. Let me get him to send a few pics

90BE20EF-B3FE-419D-9300-73F4B0AC6402.jpeg
11A958E2-BCAF-420A-9174-EC2582F8277D.jpeg

Reactions: VargmatII
They are nice. I like the double undercut of the old trigger guard and the old style dragon scale grip better. It’s fairly close to the original. I have the original and it’s just a fantastic shooting gun. Shoots just like my Infinity. Great guns.

Reactions: Biggie1976
For $5600 you should get 20 minutes on his casting couch with one of the girls from his stable of whores
That’s what top end 2011s go for. Mine is on par with an Atlas and my Infinity. My infinity was more than that but it’s got the caliber conversion.

Its an STI format 2011 with some branding from being in a movie. At that rate you're better off getting a SVI, Phoenix Trinity or an Atlas. Metal grip, better customer service and many more options.

Unless you just have a hard on for movie nostalgia that is. Because let's be real that's not really worth that $5k+ and Taran isn't pumping out SVI quality no way.

For $5600 you should get 20 minutes on his casting couch with one of the girls from his stable of whores

For that money I’d want the man himself to line me up and guide me in too! Awesome looking pistol though.

Its an STI format 2011 with some branding from being in a movie. At that rate you're better off getting a SVI, Phoenix Trinity or an Atlas. Metal grip, better customer service and many more options.

Unless you just have a hard on for movie nostalgia that is. Because let's be real that's not really worth that $5k+ and Taran isn't pumping out SVI quality no way.
I own two SVI and the CM STI. Both are similar quality and faultless in execution. I have a PT on order and expect it to be similar. Like most things in life, once you start getting into that top tier, it’s all about what features you like and what brand you like.

I own two SVI and the CM STI. Both are similar quality and faultless in execution. I have a PT on order and expect it to be similar. Like most things in life, once you start getting into that top tier, it’s all about what features you like and what brand you like.
Disagree.

SVI is pretty much king in this space and has been for a long time. You get a one off pistol with your own specs not a production make that is known for occasional fuck ups. In my view: why would I want something that Ted from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure used?

Top end customs also don't come with plastic grips.
They come with whatever you choose. The frame is metal and the grip is just different. Cheely and Phoenix Trinity were making everyone’s grips there for a while. Not sure if that is still the case though. They may do in house grips but not sure. Stacatto and the Alchemy Quantico both have plastic grips and they are very much quality firearms. They are a bit cheaper but not a whole lot. My newer Infinity was over 7500. My older Infinity has plastic grips and it shoots lights out. It’s all about personal preference. Had a chance to play with the Nighthawk Hi-cap this weekend and it’s very nice. Metal grip and around the same price.

Disagree.

SVI is pretty much king in this space and has been for a long time. You get a one off pistol with your own specs not a production make that is known for occasional fuck ups. In my view: why would I want something that Ted from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure used?
I own both and shoot both. I have two SVI Infinity 2011s and yeah they are nice. One was made to my specs, has the interchange breach face with both 9 and 40 capability. The CB is just as nice in terms of shooting and quality. The movie thing is irrelevant. I guess I will get rid of my Mark 23 because it was used in a video game and a movie now.

It's a DVC 3Gun with a longer dust cover and different slide cuts. Totally worth the extra $2.5k
Except that it isn’t. At the tome I bought mine it was 3800. I have shot a DVC 3 Gun and I own the CM. They shoot different. It’s not comparing a Hennessy Viper to a stock Viper. It’s been tuned and the fit and finish is superior.

Except that it isn’t. At the tome I bought mine it was 3800. I have shot a DVC 3 Gun and I own the CM. They shoot different. It’s not comparing a Hennessy Viper to a stock Viper. It’s been tuned and the fit and finish is superior.
No it really isn't. That is the point.

STI doesn't have differences in their fitment between their production models. If you want that you go with a new SVI. We get you bought the advertising.

No it really isn't. That is the point.

STI doesn't have differences in their fitment between their production models. If you want that you go with a new SVI. We get you bought the advertising.
I have both. The slide fitment is exactly the same. Neither one has any play whatsoever and they both run like glass. With SVI, you pick out everything and they will build it. Everything is made in house and yeah it’s perfect. Your only limit is your budget. They build amazing quality firearms. I love shooting my two. In fact, at least one comes with me to range every time I shoot. I just place an order with PT and got specced with 5 barrels and 3 different calibers. I am expecting it to shoot just as well. Variety is the spice of life. Not sure why everyone feels the need to shit on something else just to elevate something else. They are all quality firearms. Get what you like and shoot it.
E21D1813-84D6-471B-BBC2-0E8D01CC8B40.jpeg

Last edited:
I have both. The slide fitment is exactly the same.
More than aware since you've repeated your opinion now thanks. You are talking to someone who has and knows STI has pushed out more than a few turds. There is a reason why it has a reputation of being entry level in the 2011 market.

The TLDR: is you paid a premium to have a 2011 model from a movie. The SVI is gonna be a better fit gun period. Comes with a metal grip, one off, hand fit, better customer service for the price. Personally, I wouldn't throw another $2k at a production STI much less a Taran branded 2011 when there are far better options.

They come with whatever you choose. The frame is metal and the grip is just different. Cheely and Phoenix Trinity were making everyone’s grips there for a while. Not sure if that is still the case though. They may do in house grips but not sure. Stacatto and the Alchemy Quantico both have plastic grips and they are very much quality firearms. They are a bit cheaper but not a whole lot. My newer Infinity was over 7500. My older Infinity has plastic grips and it shoots lights out. It’s all about personal preference. Had a chance to play with the Nighthawk Hi-cap this weekend and it’s very nice. Metal grip and around the same price.

I had one of the first Nighthawk Hi Caps and have had an SVI as well, before realizing I much preferred single stacks. The Nighthawk was a nicer pistol. Not by much, but marginally. It also didn't look like a souped up Japanese motorcycle, which is definitely a plus.

I had one of the first Nighthawk Hi Caps and have had an SVI as well, before realizing I much preferred single stacks. The Nighthawk was a nicer pistol. Not by much, but marginally. It also didn't look like a souped up Japanese motorcycle, which is definitely a plus.
I have a Nighthawk 1911 45. It’s a nice gun. Shot many of them including the hi cap 9mm. They are all nice guns. However I prefer the trigger on my SVI. But it’s not a self defense gun. It’s 2lbs little uptake, clean wall, little over travel and a short reset. The gun is just made to shoot fast. But they will set it up however you like.

More than aware since you've repeated your opinion now thanks. You are talking to someone who has and knows STI has pushed out more than a few turds. There is a reason why it has a reputation of being entry level in the 2011 market.

The TLDR: is you paid a premium to have a 2011 model from a movie. The SVI is gonna be a better fit gun period. Comes with a metal grip, one off, hand fit, better customer service for the price. Personally, I wouldn't throw another $2k at a production STI much less a Taran branded 2011 when there are far better options.
Every company throws out a turd every once in a while. I see stories about Wilson and Nighthawk on a regular basis as well as young upstarts such as triarc. I also see excellent customer service from all of them. STI/Stacatto is an entry level 2011. They are like the Dan Wesson of 2011s. Nice point of entry but they aren’t a Nighthawk. But just like Dan Wesson, they shoot just as well. The CM is just the nicest on they ever made with all of the bells and whistles. Early days of 2011s, you had to tune them to get them to run. The majority of the problems were the mags. I actually had to send in my SVI to have all of my 40 sw mags tuned to my gun. I had to pay for the privilege. All of my 9mm mags run in any platform. The new Gen 2 mags from Stacatto are nice mags for the money. MBX and SVI are indeed more robust if you plan on dropping them on concrete or step on them.

Open 2011s are literally always the most expensive, top end models with "all the bells and whistles".

The reason CK Arms, Freedom Gunworks and Cheely became popular was a response to the need to fix the common quality control problems coming out of STI without a massive jump in price.

If it were me, I wouldnt run MBXs in an SVI pistol when the SVI mags are about the same cost and the fucking mag follower sucks on MBXs. STI gen 2s are a good step up from their old mag style.

Open 2011s are literally always the most expensive, top end models with "all the bells and whistles".

The reason CK Arms, Freedom Gunworks and Cheely became popular was a response to the need to fix the common quality control problems coming out of STI without a massive jump in price.

If it were me, I wouldnt run MBXs in an SVI pistol when the SVI mags are about the same cost and the fucking mag follower sucks on MBXs. STI gen 2s are a good step up from their old mag style.
I don’t run MBX mags in my SVI. I have 6 140mm 9mm mags, 5 124mm 9mm, and 4 124mm 40 SW all with the new style followers. For an open gun, I finally went with the PT Honcho. I just like the modularity of it. That’s what I bought the MBX mags for because that is what PT told me that they recommended. I tend to go by manufacturers recommendations. If I feel like the followers are an issue, I will change them out. Cheap enough and easy fix. However, they are similar in design to the SVI followers. Time will tell.

um, just a few things to point out

1. the combat master, or that style existed before the movie, and it’s what almost all the TTI shooters used to run
- to my knowledge, Taran won’t do it for just anyone. mainly just for TTI shooters
- all the ones i’ve seen for sale went for over $4k used(not the STI version)

2. If you look at the picture that’s posted, that’s not an STI frame. It’s a TTI frame, meaning it likely wasn’t made by STI

SVI’s are good, one of the only builders to my knowledge that make everything in house.
But, let’s not kid ourselves on their customer service.

I don’t run MBX mags in my SVI. I have 6 140mm 9mm mags, 5 124mm 9mm, and 4 124mm 40 SW all with the new style followers. For an open gun, I finally went with the PT Honcho. I just like the modularity of it. That’s what I bought the MBX mags for because that is what PT told me that they recommended. I tend to go by manufacturers recommendations. If I feel like the followers are an issue, I will change them out. Cheap enough and easy fix. However, they are similar in design to the SVI followers. Time will tell.
The new and old STI followers have always been a smoother feeding design. The mbx seem almost like a 3d printed plastic and the "hump" instead of a concave curve like the STI tends to nose dive in my guns.

um, just a few things to point out

1. the combat master, or that style existed before the movie, and it’s what almost all the TTI shooters used to run
- to my knowledge, Taran won’t do it for just anyone. mainly just for TTI shooters
- all the ones i’ve seen for sale went for over $4k used(not the STI version)

2. If you look at the picture that’s posted, that’s not an STI frame. It’s a TTI frame, meaning it likely wasn’t made by STI

SVI’s are good, one of the only builders to my knowledge that make everything in house.
But, let’s not kid ourselves on their customer service.
1. Yes sure, Taran Butler made the concept for the movie and was asked to keep it under wraps for the 3rd movie. It was commercially available as a limited edition afterward. You probably know that they also made their Glock 34 special edition which was available along with the other movie as well.

2. The 2019 commercial models were originally made by STI. If Taran is making his own, good for him. Like I said (and even he acknowledges here) there are a lot of other good makes.

As an aside, I've only heard good comments on SVIs customer service. Yep it takes a long time, but so does STI (if youve ever had to do a repair).

The newest TTI 2011 Combat Masters actually look like they have a sight block, which is different than the older STI version with a standard bull barrel. That's an upgrade (although still not worth $5400 for a plastic grip frame).