• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New target hanging system

vinconco

Sergeant
Minuteman
I've been working on the easiest way to hang a steel reactive target for a couple years now and I think I have finally worked out the bugs.
I would appreciate any critique this forum could provide

I wanted:

A target that would protect it's hanger from bullet damage
A reactive target with a good amount of easy to spot movement when hit.
Can be easily configured to hang steady when hit.
As few parts as possible
NO WELDS !!!!
Would work with existing target plates
Would use the ubiquitous and cheap T POST as it's backbone.
Would NOT BREAK OR FAIL. These tests used a 12 ga 1 oz rifled slug at 25 yards to test the system for endurance.
Easy and quick to set up
Will work with a SINGLE hole in the target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ZMclPDM3M

This is the same plate used in the previous video that was held by a single bolt
It was hung with a short piece of chain on the bolt that allows the target to be more reactive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoNLcEtFo_o

You can hang large steel on the same bracket too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOMwc9p0kU4

check out the vapor trail on this shot

Vapor Trail - YouTube

Last edited:
Looks like the more reactive one (on the chain) might swing left/right a bit, so you don't have the full profile of it on the second shot.

Can you provide us with step by step build instructions/parts list? This looks excellent

I've been working on the easiest way to hang a steel reactive target for a couple years now and I think I have finally worked out the bugs.
I would appreciate any critique this forum could provide

I wanted:

A target that would protect it's hanger from bullet damage
A reactive target with a good amount of easy to spot movement when hit.
Can be easily configured to hang steady when hit.
As few parts as possible
NO WELDS !!!!
Would work with existing target plates
Would use the ubiquitous and cheap T POST as it's backbone.
Would NOT BREAK OR FAIL. These tests used a 12 ga 1 oz rifled slug at 25 yards to test the system for endurance.
Easy and quick to set up
Will work with a SINGLE hole in the target.

Looks great, the A frame that is attached to the ar500 how is it designed? I would need it to fit a 12 inch X 12 inch target
Is the modified large target bracket being used on a standard t-post? I like the way your design protects the whole system.
Perfect Design!!!! I would love to be a tester if any are needed.

Last edited:
Can you provide us with step by step build instructions/parts list? This looks excellent

I'm about to bring in a sheet of A-36 steel and have it cut into about 180 of these brackets with the intention of offering them for sale.
With the bracket all you need is a T Post, a target plate and a bolt or bolt and chain. The videos show a variety of ways to hang the target. My goal was to make it as simple and adaptable as possible so guys could use the plates they already have and simple to obtain bolts and chain. I can supply the bracket at a decent price but others such as JC have better deals on the shootin' plates.

I'm about to bring in a sheet of A-36 steel and have it cut into about 180 of these brackets with the intention of offering them for sale.
With the bracket all you need is a T Post, a target plate and a bolt or bolt and chain. The videos show a variety of ways to hang the target. My goal was to make it as simple and adaptable as possible so guys could use the plates they already have and simple to obtain bolts and chain. I can supply the bracket at a decent price but others such as JC have better deals on the shootin' plates.

Where did you get the a frame that you have attached to the AR500,are you making those to?

Looks great, the A frame that is attached to the ar500 how is it designed? I would need it to fit a 12 inch X 12 inch target
Is the modified large target bracket being used on a standard t-post? I like the way your design protects the whole system.
Perfect Design!!!! I would love to be a tester if any are needed.

All the T posts are standard posts you buy at a farm supply or some building supplies like Home Depot. Make sure they aren't a light duty knock off and it will work fine.
The "A frame" you see is just 2 - 3/4 x 1/8" flat steel with a hole drilled in each end to put the hanging bolt in the correct place.
When I have the brackets cut I will also cut some steel flats to use in adapting 2 hole 12 x 12 , 10 x 10 and 8 x 8 plates to hang by a chain or just a bolt.

Looks like the more reactive one (on the chain) might swing left/right a bit, so you don't have the full profile of it on the second shot.
They always come back to center or close enough so the subsequent shots are at the full face view. The plate on the chain works great if you are shooting without a spotter because by the time you get the scope back on the target it's still swinging if you hit it.

I will take 2-hangers and 2-flat steel sets for 12 X 12 AR500 when they are ready to go.

Was thinking the same thing. But I think it looks good

What thickness mild steel are you thinking about using? Anything thinner than about 1/4" won't hold up very well with repeated punishment. I imagine 1/4" would hold up ok for a while. Might start bending when us 338 shooters start blasting away.

Good pick utilizing the medium duty t posts. They are awesome.

Be careful it does not have too much movement. Reason I say that is because if you need to have a quick follow up shot, last thing you need is a side view of 3/8" ar500.

I looked at the "Last Stand" concept a few years ago and that is why I designed the T Post hanger. My chains and brackets are all protected from bullet damage and I have about 10 less parts to schlep around. And the T post is much more stable than a sawhorse.

Agree with vin here. And if your shooting something big, we have seen those (last stand) fall over

Thx for sharing ! I am in for 2 when u get there.

Trauma1

Was thinking the same thing. But I think it looks good

What thickness mild steel are you thinking about using? Anything thinner than about 1/4" won't hold up very well with repeated punishment. I imagine 1/4" would hold up ok for a while. Might start bending when us 338 shooters start blasting away.

Good pick utilizing the medium duty t posts. They are awesome.

Be careful it does not have too much movement. Reason I say that is because if you need to have a quick follow up shot, last thing you need is a side view of 3/8" ar500.

I'm using 1/4" A-36 hot rolled.

The 12 gauge 1 oz rifled slug @ 25 yards has a power factor of 665
The 338 lapua using a 300 gr bullet and 2200 fps (about 450 yards) has a power factor of 660
That said I did see a little peening on the bracket where the chain sets and around the t post cut after about 50 rounds of 12 ga slugs. @ 25 yards but no hint of bending the bracket.... it's very stiff

I've never shot one of these t post in two and I've had targets up for about 8 years. Shot chunks out of them but the bracket still works.

For targets you might have to shoot twice quickly at I use the single bolt plate. In the demonstration video it had limited movement and allowed a quick follow up shot. The chain target is great when you don't have a spotter. When you get the scope back on the target it's still swinging if you have a hit.

BTW, I've been shooting your steel since your first group buy.... great stuff

Last edited:
Looks pretty slick!
I have a few JC offest t-post hangers and they work great. A few of these would make for adding secondary targets off the same post fairly easy. One larger, one smaller would be cool...

tagged for later

Agree with vin here. And if your shooting something big, we have seen those (last stand) fall over

were you guys staking the rebar into the ground at all?..

we have been tapping the rebar into the ground a little and have yet to budge the thing... no 338 included in our testing but a shotgun slug didn't move it..

ETA: we are even running 7.5 foot long bars on the legs instead of 5 on two set ups and have yet to knock that one over either

Last edited: