• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors New TBAC cans for 2024

Zak Smith

TBAC Guy
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Full message-

Brief overview:

We finally got the Ultra50 out the door. It's unbelievably awesome
TBAC-18a.jpg

We expanded the Magnus line to be 3 different lengths (K, S, and full length); each length is available in .30, .338, or .375 caliber), and each of those is available as a normal can, or with our new RR (reduced recoil / race ready) brake like the 50 has. Recoil reduction on 300WM as an example exceeds 60%.
TBAC24-58.jpg

Poster_2024.png

These are available with four different mount options, some are restricted by caliber applicability, CB, BA, HUB, SR.
I know you can't read the above table-- there is a PDF linked from the link at the top of this post.

We also added the RR option to the 338 Ultra,
TBAC24-49.jpg

Recoil reduction on 338LM is 54% where the normal can is 32%.

Awesome stuff. One of our guys will be swinging by to place an order at SHOT.

Is the brake integral to the can?

Ok, I'll take a Magnus-S (no brake) in black with HUB mounting.

Seriously, go ahead and invoice me. Same FFL to send it to as where you sent my Magnus. last year.

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli
As part of the mechanism that times it, it can be removed. We can't send extra endcaps due to ATF rulings, though.
Any chance these are threaded to use other manufacturers end caps? Or will you be selling the end caps if we take the brake off?

Does the Magnus-S/K replace the Dominus/K lines? If so, any major differences or improvements other than what you’ve already shown with calibers and RR brake?

Just sent an email to Andrew. I imagine he's going to have a busy morning.

Very cool! Looks like the brake works more efficiently the higher the muzzle pressure as expected. It's interesting to see it play out though as it brings the Magnus K up to the recoil reduction levels as the S and normal Magnus with the RR brake.

Any chance yall did testing with the popular 6mm variants for PRS shooters?

It's interesting to see how the respective RR version is roughly only 1 dB louder than their regular counterparts. What's the unit of measurement for your sled energy method? Looks like percentage less than complete distance of the measured bare muzzle.

@Zak Smith can you comment on the recoil reduction of the front brake? Was it designed to reduce ‘straight back’ recoil into the shoulder? Or is it more like the A419 Maverick where it is designed to reduce muzzle rise for better self-spotting of impacts through the scope?

Does the Magnus-S/K replace the Dominus/K lines? If so, any major differences or improvements other than what you’ve already shown with calibers and RR brake?
The only can we are obsoleting presently is the Dominus-CB, replaced by the Magnus-S. The Dominus SR's are staying.

The Magnus-S is 0.65" longer than the Dominus, and the K is the same longer in the Magnus. The Magnus versions are therefore a little quieter than the Dominus of "similar" lengths. The Magnus's have the crazy magnum ratings while the Dominus line has its original a little tamer ratings. The Magnus-S (6.9" in CB) suppresses about between the Ultra 7 and 9.

Reactions: FuhQ
Very cool! Looks like the brake works more efficiently the higher the muzzle pressure as expected. It's interesting to see it play out though as it brings the Magnus K up to the recoil reduction levels as the S and normal Magnus with the RR brake.

Any chance yall did testing with the popular 6mm variants for PRS shooters?
Sam's been shooting one on his Dasher for most of this season. We haven't put it on the sled yet, though.

Reactions: AirgunnerPCP
It's interesting to see how the respective RR version is roughly only 1 dB louder than their regular counterparts. What's the unit of measurement for your sled energy method? Looks like percentage less than complete distance of the measured bare muzzle.
That's technically true (for ML mic at least) but it doesn't tell the whole story. Sometimes the brakes actually throw the sound to the rear more vs. the side mics. Here is the full sound data: https://thunderbeastarms.com/sound/tbac/#RESULTS-UNIFIED You can look at Impulse or Leq for additional information.

Sorry, missed that, recoil % is percent of recoil energy reduction.

@Zak Smith can you comment on the recoil reduction of the front brake? Was it designed to reduce ‘straight back’ recoil into the shoulder? Or is it more like the A419 Maverick where it is designed to reduce muzzle rise for better self-spotting of impacts through the scope?
We tested it from the shooter's POV on a bunch of cartridges with upward ports and the muzzle movement was too inconsistent cartridge to cartridge, so we went for max gross recoil reduction. (Directional ports reduced gross reduction.)

The only can we are obsoleting presently is the Dominus-CB, replaced by the Magnus-S. The Dominus SR's are staying.

The Magnus-S is 0.65" longer than the Dominus, and the K is the same longer in the Magnus. The Magnus versions are therefore a little quieter than the Dominus of "similar" lengths. The Magnus's have the crazy magnum ratings while the Dominus line has its original a little tamer ratings. The Magnus-S (6.9" in CB) suppresses about between the Ultra 7 and 9.
That means, according to yall's tests, that the Magnus-S 7" can should be right there between the numbers yall got with the Hydrogen-S & Hydrogen-L 7.62 (or between a Nomad-Ti & Nomad-LT)... Correct? If so, then it would be the new reigning king of the 7" can category.

I'm extremely excited to get this on order. It should be my new favorite 7" hunting can. 👍🏼

Looking at the summit data vs. this data, the Hydrogen S, they are within 1 dBA at SE and have the same Leq(10ms) dBA at SE. The H-S at the summit was 7.47" long as tested, not sure what that was, that was how it was handed to the test queue.

Reactions: FuhQ
Looking at the summit data vs. this data, the Hydrogen S, they are within 1 dBA at SE and have the same Leq(10ms) dBA at SE. The H-S at the summit was 7.47" long as tested, not sure what that was, that was how it was handed to the test queue.
When comparing the Hydro-S 308 data from the summit and your Magnus-S 308 numbers. The Hydro-S was 142.61 ML-DB vs Magnus-S 144.57 ML-DB. The Hydro-S 135.08 ML-DBA vs Magnus-S 137.37 ML-DBA. The Hydro-S 131.25 SE-DB vs The Magnus-S 133.43 SE-DB. The Hydro-S 125.35 SE-DBA vs The Magnus-S 128.02 SE-DBA. Seems the Hydro is about 2db quieter all around. I'm honestly surprised you guys didn't beat it or at least match it. The numbers on the braked cans are pretty impressive considering.

Last edited:
Maybe next time we're out we can test them back to back to see if that changes anything.

ETA--
Actually, thinking about it, the tested length of H-S was 7.47", which included a DT to HUB adapter. This would use up almost no internal volume forward of the rear of the can, compared to the M-S, which as tested was just 6.9", which includes the mount itself already taking up volume inside the can. I'll see if we can configure a HUB version in an identical way and then test both. I think that will make a mesaureable difference.

Last edited:
Maybe next time we're out we can test them back to back to see if that changes anything.

ETA--
Actually, thinking about it, the tested length of H-S was 7.47", which included a DT to HUB adapter. This would use up almost no internal volume forward of the rear of the can, compared to the M-S, which as tested was just 6.9", which includes the mount itself already taking up volume inside the can. I'll see if we can configure a HUB version in an identical way and then test both. I think that will make a mesaureable difference.
That will be interesting to see!

Hi @Zak Smith I saw where someone asked about a .375 cheytac and you said TBAC .50 can but for the magnus and magnus RR with a .375 exit, what is the powder limit? Like could I run that on a 37xc pushing a 390 a-tip with a 28-35 inch barrel with say 125 grains of h50bmg or 115 grains of h1000?

Glad to see it tested damn-near identical. That means the Magnus-S is going to be a great hunting can. 👍🏼

That’s odd the one y’all tested was 7.47”. Just measured mine from the back of the HUB (where the KeyMo butts-up against it) to the muzzle end. Right at 7”. This is Hydro-S serial number 1, for reference. Not sure if something changed down the line, or if that included some sort of weird 1/2” long mount.

IMG_4055.jpeg

*** Edit *** Just saw your next post about the DT to HUB mount. That makes sense.

Last edited:
The
Hi @Zak Smith I saw where someone asked about a .375 cheytac and you said TBAC .50 can but for the magnus and magnus RR with a .375 exit, what is the powder limit? Like could I run that on a 37xc pushing a 390 a-tip with a 28-35 inch barrel with say 125 grains of h50bmg or 115 grains of h1000?
375CT is a no go. We should have answers on the XC’s later this week.

Glad to see it tested damn-near identical. That means the Magnus-S is going to be a great hunting can. 👍🏼

That’s odd the one y’all tested was 7.47”. Just measured mine from the back of the HUB (where the KeyMo butts-up against it) to the muzzle end. Right at 7”. This is Hydro-S serial number 1, for reference. Not sure if something changed down the line, or if that included some sort of weird 1/2” long mount.

View attachment 8324409

*** Edit *** Just saw your next post about the DT to HUB mount. That makes sense.

Before your edit I drew this diagram, so I'm still gonna post it, LOL.

Top is a HUB can with a DT/HUB adapter. Bottom is a CB. Bottom setup takes up more space inside. Top setup has a longer effective length. For Summit testing, we recorded the length "as tested". In your case we would have included the approx extra inch the Keymo adds.

hub_cb.jpg.jpeg

Not interoperable due to our tapered interface. And no, not possible to sell separately, see https://www.atf.gov/file/186521/download

So there's your interpretation of the ATF rules (which is logical and makes sense based upon "the letter of the law"), and then we've got Rugged which is out there selling damn near every part of their cans except the tube and baffle stacks:

There's also the whole thing about how one can change the silencer length to be shorter but not longer ("If alterations to a silencer would increase the overall length or change the diameter or caliber of a silencer, this is the making of a new silencer..."), and yet Dead Air sells their E-Brake:

This regulatory environment is very weird.

So there's your interpretation of the ATF rules (which is logical and makes sense based upon "the letter of the law"), and then we've got Rugged which is out there selling damn near every part of their cans except the tube and baffle stacks:

There's also the whole thing about how one can change the silencer length to be shorter but not longer ("If alterations to a silencer would increase the overall length or change the diameter or caliber of a silencer, this is the making of a new silencer..."), and yet Dead Air sells their E-Brake:

This regulatory environment is very weird.
This is very confusing to me. A419 sells their Maverick in a kit that can do multiple lengths along with braked and flat end caps. But the TB cans can’t be sold with a flat end cap?

In for videos of the RR magnus in action. Love my 338 ultra sr, never felt like 300nm recoiled too much with it, and I don’t “need” it on my 6br. Still want it though, so videos comparing the performance of the different length RR cans would be great.

This is very confusing to me. A419 sells their Maverick in a kit that can do multiple lengths along with braked and flat end caps. But the TB cans can’t be sold with a flat end cap?
And Silencer co with the Omega. Real bummer that you can't have both options - brake and no brake.

+ Abel Co
+ CGS Group
+ Diligent Defense

Selling closed and vented end caps for their suppressors. Either TBAC's ignorance or business model to sell you multiple cans if you wanted options.