• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Terrapin: Initial Impressions

vvillium3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Stevensville, MI
First off I want to thank Sharon at POTOMAC RIVER GROUP (571-252-7324). You don't get service like this anymore. Placed my order with her @ 10:30 am yesterday, and received the the rangefinder by 3:00 pm today. I received a confirmation email of delivery from sharon before my wife could text me I got something via FedEx!

Also, my works email server has a strict firewall for new emails. Sharon's order confirmation email was blocked, and she took the extra time of the day to confirm tracking information via phone and get another email. People like this are few and far between these days, for the incredible price ($1825) and service they come highly recommended.

Here are a couple pics of the terrapin:

7AF17974-5725-4D24-BF39-779DC2CABDBA-5891-0000043225D39306.jpg

7892FA82-82D6-413F-81D6-EC4622E98829-5891-0000043228ABA194.jpg

First off, this thing is built like a tank. It isn't overly heavy, but feels like it can take some abuse. While I have never been able to be picky about glass clarity/resolution they are very comparable to the swaro's. Super bright and clear.

The aiming reticle is way more precise than the swaro's as expected. Because of the smaller aim point you really notice how much more you move around while trying to aim at anything small over 300 yards off hand. Also, I will have to see if I like the lower magnification of this unit over the swaros. Everyone else seems to not be bothered by this, hopefully I am the same.

While I didn't have much time to test out the range finding before dark, I did sneak out and range a couple speed limit signs out to 500 yards with ease. The swaro's picked the signs up as well, so no advantage there. Next I tagged a tree on top of a dune by lake Michigan at 1700 yards on the second try! Not surprised I got the lovely 3 dot no reading from the swaro's no matter how many times I tried. I'd like to get these out in the field tomorrow in bright daylight and really see he differences between these two units. Will make sure to post the results.

Thank you all for your encouragement to pick these up. The initial impressions are good, and I hope they live up to their price tag.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: New Terrapin: Initial Impressions

they are overstocked with the sand color...everyone wants green. -which is why i picked up the sand. No discount.

If someone knows how to brighten the led display, please post. Unreadable in bright sunlight. Tripod or rest is key beyond 500.

Potomac River Group has the green in stock as I specifically asked. Which I beleive was the same price as Sharon made no reference to there being a price difference between the two.

There is no reference of the adjustability to the display, but I have noticed it is auto adjusting. Also interested if this can be manually done.

Congratulation Jason..... That is an awesome rangefinder... I can say with sincerity that I know exactly how you feel..LOL

Unfortunately this is my first and only rangefinder so I wasn't able to give it a proper comparison review... Thanks for yours, I enjoy reading reviews of item that I own....

I also agree that the girls at POTOMAC RIVER GROUP are absolutely the best to deal with...

Enjoy...

Your giving that Swaro a self-esteem complex.

Jrivera,

Thanks again for the reference. What a pleasure to do business with them. Also the price is killer!

All,

My god this thing is rediculous. Left work a little early today to range objects down a long straight road by my dads. Was hitting speed limit signs off hand at 700! I know they are reflective, but I couldn't believe that I never missed. Used a steady rest to confirm and sure enough same reading. BTW, swaro's didn't have a chance beyond here.

From there I started ranging anything off the side of the road with a solid rest and wasn't disappointed. It would always yield a result and could always duplicate the result on the next try. Kept hitting a pine tree out at 1200 yards without breaking a sweat

Biggest surprise: amazed at how well this would read none reflective "soft" targets. Almost couldn't miss with a rest. Excited to range some live animals this weekend.

Only complaint: ranging time between readings is a little long. Is there anyway to speed up the readings?

More to come, but this unit is starting to show its worth

Jason

Give them hell Jason...

I'll be heading to CT in a few weeks myself. I know of a few farms that have some cows and horses, being that the sole purpose of my purchase was for hunting and confirming targets at the range, I want to try it out on some animals to see how it does... I am also interested in seeing how that 5X magnification works for my application....I have no doubt it will Rock....