• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Thermal

Redstache

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2023
Abilene, TX
Trying to decide between a few options for new thermal. I am primarily a pig and predator hunter with all shots taken inside 200 yds, most within 50-100 in open fields or low brush areas. I've only used Bering and AGM before.
Option 1) Bering Super Hogster A3 35mm - Familiar with and like Bering Optics
Option 2) IRay GL35R 384 with LRF - Never used or even looked thru Iray scope before. LRF is nice but 384 doesn't match up to the 640 on other options on list
Option 3) Bering Super Yoter R 25mm - Is 25mm going to make this a less attractive option than 35mm Super Hogster?
Option 4) Pulsar Thermion 2 XQ35 Pro - Also, 384 may not be as clear as 640 options from Bering but never used Pulsar before
These are all priced from $3200-$3400 right now. Some cheaper options I am still looking at include:
1) IRay Rico GL35 384
2) Pulsar Talion XQ35 Pro
3) IRay Bolt TL35 V2
These 3 are $2500-$2700 right now. Looking to grab something while some sales are running. Really prefer 640 resolution for easier identification, especially while scanning on the move in UTV or from elevated blind. Leaning toward the Super Yoter at this point. Any feedback would be appreciated.

It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Reactions: DIBBS
RIP your inbox full of thermal dealers.

I don’t care what you buy and am not a dealer of any kind. If you’re using this on a bolt gun, the iRay bolt is fantastic. Great image for a 384 scope, I would not consider it a lesser scope than some other 384 options just because it’s currently cheaper. I have a TH50c and also the TL35 and the TL35 works great for shots well beyond the ranges you mention.

If you are set on a 640 scope and are using this on an AR, I would consider the pulsar talion 640 as well. I believe the prices on those were dropped recently and it is great for the money.

Do you already have a thermal monocular or are you planning on getting one? Either of these somewhat cheaper options would leave you some cash left over if you hadn’t budgeted for that, and having a monocular makes night hunting a lot more fun than having to hold up your rifle or bend over the tripod to look through it all night.

I’ve used and owned a bunch of different thermals, shoot some hogs and about 150 coyotes each year. I’ll stick to iray and pulsar from now on but thats just me.

RIP your inbox full of thermal dealers.

I don’t care what you buy and am not a dealer of any kind. If you’re using this on a bolt gun, the iRay bolt is fantastic. Great image for a 384 scope, I would not consider it a lesser scope than some other 384 options just because it’s currently cheaper. I have a TH50c and also the TL35 and the TL35 works great for shots well beyond the ranges you mention.

If you are set on a 640 scope and are using this on an AR, I would consider the pulsar talion 640 as well. I believe the prices on those were dropped recently and it is great for the money.

Do you already have a thermal monocular or are you planning on getting one? Either of these somewhat cheaper options would leave you some cash left over if you hadn’t budgeted for that, and having a monocular makes night hunting a lot more fun than having to hold up your rifle or bend over the tripod to look through it all night.

I’ve used and owned a bunch of different thermals, shoot some hogs and about 150 coyotes each year. I’ll stick to iray and pulsar from now on but thats just me.
I have been using a hogster stimulus 256. Was my 1st thermal and I have used it to great success in spot and stalk hog hunting. Wanting to upgrade for easier recognition and being able to shoot coyotes and bobcats and longer distance. I assume the iRay bolt would be more flexible if I was wanting to switch back and forth from AR to bolt rifle. I would really like 640 and primarily use it on AR.

I do have a couple scanners, 256 also. I know I need to upgrade that as well and also want to add a suppressor to my AR but 1 thing at a time. I was intrigued by the Pulsar Talion option but I or my hunting team have never used that brand. No bias, just haven't purchased one. Will likely switch the hogster to a full time scanner when I upgrade.

Trying to decide between a few options for new thermal. I am primarily a pig and predator hunter with all shots taken inside 200 yds, most within 50-100 in open fields or low brush areas. I've only used Bering and AGM before.
Option 1) Bering Super Hogster A3 35mm - Familiar with and like Bering Optics
Option 2) IRay GL35R 384 with LRF - Never used or even looked thru Iray scope before. LRF is nice but 384 doesn't match up to the 640 on other options on list
Option 3) Bering Super Yoter R 25mm - Is 25mm going to make this a less attractive option than 35mm Super Hogster?
Option 4) Pulsar Thermion 2 XQ35 Pro - Also, 384 may not be as clear as 640 options from Bering but never used Pulsar before
These are all priced from $3200-$3400 right now. Some cheaper options I am still looking at include:
1) IRay Rico GL35 384
2) Pulsar Talion XQ35 Pro
3) IRay Bolt TL35 V2
These 3 are $2500-$2700 right now. Looking to grab something while some sales are running. Really prefer 640 resolution for easier identification, especially while scanning on the move in UTV or from elevated blind. Leaning toward the Super Yoter at this point. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Just got my AGM Rattler TS50-640, and really like it. Nice image and they can be found in the $3,500-3,800 range regularly. Takes 4K video and photos, too! 👍🏼

AGM Rattler TS50-640

IMG_3442.jpeg
IMG_3361.jpeg
IMG_3363.jpeg
IMG_3362.jpeg
20231212192028.jpeg
20231212192638.jpeg

Reactions: DIBBS
I have been using a hogster stimulus 256. Was my 1st thermal and I have used it to great success in spot and stalk hog hunting. Wanting to upgrade for easier recognition and being able to shoot coyotes and bobcats and longer distance. I assume the iRay bolt would be more flexible if I was wanting to switch back and forth from AR to bolt rifle. I would really like 640 and primarily use it on AR.

I do have a couple scanners, 256 also. I know I need to upgrade that as well and also want to add a suppressor to my AR but 1 thing at a time. I was intrigued by the Pulsar Talion option but I or my hunting team have never used that brand. No bias, just haven't purchased one. Will likely switch the hogster to a full time scanner when I upgrade.
Two guys I hunt with have the cheaper talion and I was impressed with it for a scope they got for $2k. Also impressed with the 640 talion for the money but I have less experience with it. I believe it’s $3500 now. I have a pulsar scanner currently that has taken a beating over the past couple years without issue. Can’t comment on pulsar support because I’ve never had to use it. I have had to warranty Iray devices and they guarantee return or replacement of your scope within 5 business days after they receive it. It’s been 2 weeks turnaround including both shipping times both times I’ve had to send a scope in and both times they just replaced the scope with a new one, one of those times with an newer version of the same scope.

Two guys I hunt with have the cheaper talion and I was impressed with it for a scope they got for $2k. Also impressed with the 640 talion for the money but I have less experience with it. I believe it’s $3500 now. I have a pulsar scanner currently that has taken a beating over the past couple years without issue. Can’t comment on pulsar support because I’ve never had to use it. I have had to warranty Iray devices and they guarantee return or replacement of your scope within 5 business days after they receive it. It’s been 2 weeks turnaround including both shipping times both times I’ve had to send a scope in and both times they just replaced the scope with a new one, one of those times with an newer version of the same scope
Thx for the input

No affiliation, but it's looking like my next purchase will be the Rix L3 scope.
Rix L3/L6
The L6 is the 640 version.
Rix L6
Optical zoom, 18650 battery, 640 Res, ADM mount and a great price.

SJC

@Redstache Yeah, I was highly impressed with the image quality for a thermal. The first picture is on Black-Hot setting at about 400-500 yards, and the 2nd pic is on the White-Hot setting and the house is about 700-800 yards away.

A few minutes later a passenger jet was flying WAY off in the distance (could barely see the lights with the naked eye), and it still picked up the heat-signature of the engines and you could see it was an airplane flying in the sky. In my next YouTube video I will be showing footage of the Rattler (it doesn't record audio like my Neith NV does, but it does record video and take still images) and I will include that footage in it. I wish this website let you upload short videos directly to the threads, but it doesn't. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it, and recorded it.

No affiliation, but it's looking like my next purchase will be the Rix L3 scope.
Rix L3/L6
The L6 is the 640 version.
Rix L6
Optical zoom, 18650 battery, 640 Res, ADM mount and a great price.

SJC
I bought the rix leap 6 a few weeks ago. On the front of the owners manual is the name Visir Inc. I did a Google search on that name and it looked as though they are associated with Iray.
So I reach out to Rix and was told that one of the owners of Iray USA started Rix optics and Visir Inc. This may account for the quality and clarity of the Rix optics.

Reactions: shoots100
@Redstache Yeah, I was highly impressed with the image quality for a thermal. The first picture is on Black-Hot setting at about 400-500 yards, and the 2nd pic is on the White-Hot setting and the house is about 700-800 yards away.

A few minutes later a passenger jet was flying WAY off in the distance (could barely see the lights with the naked eye), and it still picked up the heat-signature of the engines and you could see it was an airplane flying in the sky. In my next YouTube video I will be showing footage of the Rattler (it doesn't record audio like my Neith NV does, but it does record video and take still images) and I will include that footage in it. I wish this website let you upload short videos directly to the threads, but it doesn't. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it, and recorded it.
I'm replying to myself on this one, because I'm posting a pic of the passenger jet flying over...

Not sure how far away, but it was a pretty damn good distance... I'm just impressed with how clear it showed up.

20240119180531.jpeg
20240119180535.jpeg

I bought the rix leap 6 a few weeks ago. On the front of the owners manual is the name Visir Inc. I did a Google search on that name and it looked as though they are associated with Iray.
So I reach out to Rix and was told that one of the owners of Iray USA started Rix optics and Visir Inc. This may account for the quality and clarity of the Rix optics.
Sold my backup Adder TS35 to a friend that made me an offer I couldn't refuse and the L3 with Bobro mount should be here Friday.
I heard the same thing about Rix.
With a little less than two months of coyote season left in NY state, I hope to get some time in the field with the L3.

SJC

I ended up buying a Pulsar XG35, 640. Got it for $3500 with extra battery and QD mount. Image quality has been outstanding but having an issue with it powering down on recoil. I have it on a Ruger SFAR 308. They have sent me an RMA but just started a month long hog competition and not happy about having to return it already.

I ended up buying a Pulsar XG35, 640. Got it for $3500 with extra battery and QD mount. Image quality has been outstanding but having an issue with it powering down on recoil. I have it on a Ruger SFAR 308. They have sent me an RMA but just started a month long hog competition and not happy about having to return it already.
XG35 is a scanner.
It sucks that the thermal scope you bought isn't working.
If you got it from a reputable dealer, you should ask for some type of loaner to use while your broken scope is getting evaluated.

SJC

XG35 is a scanner.
It sucks that the thermal scope you bought isn't working.
If you got it from a reputable dealer, you should ask for some type of loaner to use while your broken scope is getting evaluated.

SJC
1707424928000.png

This model is a full scope, not scanner. I'm in Texas and the dealer I purchased from is in Minnesota. I'll just process with RMA return after the month is up. I feel confident they'll take care of it. Frustrating to say the least my brand new $3500 scope isn't working properly.

Talion XG35, got it.
I've read that some Talion users were having issues with the APS5T battery caps moving during recoil when mounted on .308 semi auto rifles.
Have you tried taping the battery cap to the battery ?

SJC

I have not tried that. Was told to just make sure the battery cover locks closed. No matter what I have tried it doesn’t seem to matter. The battery cover is in full lock position and it still happens.

I found that from a quick search on the google.
It's an issue with the first gen Talion batteries that use the APS 5 battery with adapter caps.
The newer Talion batteries ( APS5T ) are one piece to mitigate that issue.
While I like Pulsar and iRay, I've steered away from them because of their proprietary batteries.

SJC

Talion XG35, got it.
I've read that some Talion users were having issues with the APS5T battery caps moving during recoil when mounted on .308 semi auto rifles.
Have you tried taping the battery cap to the battery ?

SJC
Let me get this straight... A brand new $4,300 (retail price) thermal scope's battery compartment was designed so piss-poorly, that you have to put TAPE on it, to keep it from losing connection and cutting off your scope every time you pull the trigger? I'd be getting a refund and buying something else. I don't care how much I liked it, or how much it cost...Junk is junk. 😂

Let me get this straight... A brand new $4,300 (retail price) thermal scope's battery compartment was designed so piss-poorly, that you have to put TAPE on it, to keep it from losing connection and cutting off your scope every time you pull the trigger? I'd be getting a refund and buying something else. I don't care how much I liked it, or how much it cost...Junk is junk. 😂
Going to give them a chance to get me a scope that works. If that option doesn't cut it, then I'll go scorched earth. It has already cost me several follow up shots on running hogs because it shut off. Basically using it like a Scout right now. Scanning while on the move with feed to my phone.

Reactions: FuhQ
Going to give them a chance to get me a scope that works. If that option doesn't cut it, then I'll go scorched earth. It has already cost me several follow up shots on running hogs because it shut off. Basically using it like a Scout right now. Scanning while on the move with feed to my phone.
That would piss me off. I'd give them 1 chance to make it right, then demand refund, if they won't give one, I'd demand an upgrade...

Did you get the l3 out yet??? First thoughts/impressions?
Received it Friday and used it in the field as a scanner over the weekend.
It's a great scope for the price.
I can say that after using it for 2-1/2 nights, I feel confident that I could take a shot at a coyote at 200 yards using the optical zoom without bumping the digital magnification.
Shooting a lot further will be possible using the optical zoom and a graduated digital zoom.
Unbeknownst to me the scope came mounted in a very nice RIX labeled two lever QD mount.
I was under the impression it came with a set of generic 30mm rings so I ordered a Bobro mount that should be arriving Tuesday.

SJC