• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New Thoughts on Barrel Heat & POI Shift.

BigMahi

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2010
NY
I know this topic has been beaten to death and that the general thought is that, as LL demonstrated, POI does not (or should not) shift as the barrel heats up. Moreover, if there is shift, then its likely that the barrel was poorly made (not stress relieved etc.).

However, I think there's a new factor worthy of consideration: <span style="font-weight: bold">the length of time a cartridge has been in the chamber especially when using a temperature sensitive powder.</span>

I say this based on observations made shooting this past weekend. In short, my barrel got pretty hot and likewise, the chamber was just as hot (Remington 700). With the barrel/chamber still hot, I loaded the internal mag with 4 rounds. I chambered round 1 and it took me about 30-45 seconds to get on target and fire round 1. I chambered round 2 immediately but this time it took me >1 minute to fire round 2. Round 2 impacted about .3 to .4" high at 100 yards. I immediately chambered the next round and fired round 3 in about 30-45 seconds. Round 3 clovered with round 1. I immediately chambered round 4 and like round 2, >1 minute passed before firing. Round 4 clovered with round round 2 on the target.

I was able to repeat this another couple of times, which is difficult given that I had to "throw out" any group to which there was discernible shooter error.

My load: 175 gr SMK, Lapua brass 3x fired (neck size only), 43.1 grs RL-15, CCI 200 LR primers.

RL-15 is known to be temperature sensitive (opposed to Varget). Ambient temperature was about 55F and ammo was kept in open box (so figure ammo was exposed to 55F). I believe this makes sense since loads developed in the winter time can be "hot" when shooting that same load in the summertime. Here, the cartridge is heated up just like in the summertime except that it is the length of it's <span style="font-style: italic">duration in the chamber prior to firing </span>. The more time the round sits in the chamber, the more likely the internal temp of the powder rises, which increases the velocity and hence the shift in POI.

The purpose of this post is to see if this is (1) repeatable by anyone else, and (2) to keep in mind of how long a round has been in the chamber if there is a significant pause between shots relative to pauses between other shots in the same string/group.

To see if this is repeatable by anyone else here, whenever your barrel gets hot, fire a string of rounds but hold every other round in the chamber 30-60 seconds longer (heat up the ruond) and then fire. Shots that were held in the chamber longer should impact slightly higher and/or have higher velocities.

This is limited to circumstances when: not sufficiently letting the barrel "cool down" between shots & using temperature sensitive powder.

Re: New Thoughts on Barrel Heat & POI Shift.

Disclosure: my barrel is a Rem factory heavy barrel that has not never been "stress relieved". However, I think that the chances of POI shifts correlating near perfectly with the cartridge's duration in the chamber offsets whether my barrel was stress relieved.

If someone with a high-end custom barrel that has been stress relieved, etc. can duplicate this results, then it will support my claim: its not so much as whether the barrel was "stress relieved" but the difference in time between shots when shooting a hot barrel.

Abandon conjecture, adopt instrumented testing over a chrono, and compare the velocities against ballistic tables for the high and low velocities from your chrono testing. Now correlate that to your experience on paper at distance.

HINT: POI shift and "barrel heat" has little to do with ammo and lots to do with the stress relieving and quality of manufacture of the barrel.

If you listen to Internet lore, you'd conclude that the combo of RL-15 and a 168 SMK is incapable of hitting a barn sized target beyond 200 yards.

Zero load at 2650 fps at 100 yards. Increase velocity in steps of 50 fps to see elevation change at 100 yards. DATA:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
_Bullet_ _BC_ _MV_ 0 50 100 | YARDS
175SMK 0.51* 2650 > 2.00 0.34 0.00 | drop (inches)
175SMK 0.51* 2700 > 2.00 0.32 -0.10 | drop (inches)
175SMK 0.51* 2750 > 2.00 0.30 -0.19 | drop (inches)
175SMK 0.51* 2800 > 2.00 0.28 -0.27 | drop (inches)
175SMK 0.51* 2850 > 2.00 0.26 -0.35 | drop (inches)
175SMK 0.51* 2900 > 2.00 0.24 -0.43 | drop (inches)
</pre></div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However, I think there's a new factor worthy of consideration: the length of time a cartridge has been in the chamber especially when using a temperature sensitive powder. </div></div>

Letting a round "cook" in the chamber has effects, it's nothing new. Using RL22 in the winter my 30-06 shoots 208 Amax's at 2700 fps. In the summer it's 2850 fps.

If I shoot a string over the chrono and then let the last one "cook" for 30s or so, the last round will be 150-200fps faster than the rest of the string.

If you use a difference powder like H4350 this effect is largely negated. Zak's comparison at 100yd shows a very mild shift in POI and it's basically pointless to worry about at short range.

150fps difference between 2 shots at 1000yd has a BIG difference. Case in point:

208 Amax (Litz) @ 2700fps, 29.9 inHg, 35F ammo temp with 100yd zero
1000yd 30.2 MOA drop

208 Amax (Litz) @ 2850fps, 29.9 inHg, 100F ammo temp with 100yd zero
1000yd 25.6 MOA drop

Difference = 4.6 MOA ~ 47" @ 1000yd

So, if you're shooting a bunch and you pause with a round in the chamber, it's going to shift quite a bit with the load I noted above. Highpower shooters have been working with this for many years, I know a High Master that has notes in his databook to the tune of "every 15s in the chamber, take out 1/2 MOA at 600, take out 3/4 MOA at 1000"

Remember, at close ranges, it doesn't matter for what we're doing.

Bohem - I appreciate the scientific analysis confirming my theory.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that not everyone has to spend hundreds of dollars on custom barrels and/or stress relieving their barrels to achieve optimal accuracy (as this thread seems to suggest, https://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1988792)

Yes I am a beginner and no I can't afford a custom barrel (I'm shooting a R700 SPS-Tactical).

Too much bias equating high dollar goods with high accuracy tends to reduce self-critique and more "its because of the cheap factory [insert rifle part]" excuses. lol.

BigMahi - been there suffered through it with my Rem PSS .308. The real key is what you are using and how you use it. With a gas gun you cannot control the chambering of the next round; with a bolt gun you can control how long you cook the next round. As Bohem said, its most important to control it at long range, where the shot to shot velocity differential will bite you the biggest.

Other than duck hunting, I've not personally done any hunting where I shot more than one or two rounds in quick succession. Now if I were on a feral hog hunt that might be different, but I've not been as yet.. you hear me Jered.. . hint..hint...

If you are in a tactical comp environment, the stages are what they are and you deal with it. If you are in a target match, then you control how long you cook them. I see palma guys chamber the next round immediately, and they can do fine, but they know that the pit service will generally be with in a certain period of time. Personally, in a target match I try to not chamber one until I'm almost ready to pull the trigger.

During a range session, or when I'm doing wind practice on the steel range, I chamber immediately before pulling the trigger (no more than say 5-10 seconds). But its hot as hell in Vegas most of the year (just like it was in Houston before I moved to Vegas) and cooking ammo in a hot chamber is most definitely not the way to keep it happy.

Jeffvn

I think there can be two aproaches to this. One would be to calculate and mechanically compensate for the POI drift. The other would be to do nothing, observe the uncompensated drift, then deliberately compensate aim based on known rifle behavior.

Greg

I've noted this before as well - http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...241#Post2112241

I've seen it with factory loads and hand loads. Especially RL15, but I've noticed velocity changes from Varget too, and it's supposed to be insensitive to temp. Alliant is releasing a new powder this summer called AR Comp that they are saying is basically RL15 that's not temperature sensative. We'll see.

This effect has been known to exist for quite some time. Not only to increased temperatures tend to increase chamber pressures, but lower temperatures tend to decrease chamber pressures.

The interesting thing is that this is not always the way it works. In very cold temperatures, certain powders may actually fracture upon ignition, causing them to burn faster, raising pressures. Similarly, some powders can soften at high temperatures, effectively limiting their surface area and lowering pressure. I don't know how that applies to common sporting powders, but it's fairly well documented with military guns of all sizes.

Bottom line is that ambient temperature does effect chamber pressure - usually, but not always in the way you'd expect.

I had the exact same situation with a 223 Remington barrel using an AAC M4/2000. After five rounds the barrel would be heat-up and as I went into subsequent strings the POI would start to change and the groups would open up. The POI change was not always predictable so it was hard to compensate for its changes. I ended up getting the barrel changed to a Bartlein. I have not gotten it back from Small Arms Custom but when I do I will start to do some testing on the rifle and suppressor.

Also remember that if shooting in cold weather and a cold rifle some energy from the first shots will go into heating of metal. More accurately stated more energy will be consumed to heat the action when its cold than it will be consumed later when action temperature will be brought up. So basically you'll have lower MV for first few shots in extreme weather. Keeping a good records and sticking to a few or as few loads as possible is a must if you're serious about shooting from 1st round to last round for effect
smile.gif