• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Tikka CTR 308 155 scenar help

Sdupontjr

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2020
Took the new CTR out for its first test spin and have some questions. Shot 4 times to and dialed it in. So these 15 shots are shot #5-19 of a new gun. Not sure if that matters any. But anyway I loaded some 155 scenars up with varget and CCI-200's.

I went with the same as I did with my tikka Lite 308 starting at 45g and went up.5 till 47g. I decided to load these .010" off the lands and see what would happen. Before anyone says anything, I did 3 shot groups because I was low on scenars when I loaded these. But just picked up 200 more so I'm trying to get my thoughts together for when I load this next batch up.

What was odd with the 45 and 45.5 shots was that the 1st of the 3 shots was the outlier. The next two shots were in the same hole at 45 and touching at 45.5. Since I've started reloading a few years back, I've always done it on a rifle that has had a good bit of rounds down the barrel. This one was the first new rifle that I have loaded for. What do yall think? I'm debating on seating them a little deeper say .015" and .020" and see if I can pull them in and give em go. My problem is I'm limited to 100 yard range here, so hard to tell what would happen out farther. But if I can get it dialed in at 100, I'll go find a longer range to test more. Whatever info yall can provide please let me know.

Just a couple things. Its a new barrel, not even broken in. 3 shot groups don't tell us much. I would jump them way more, like .30-.50 to start and keep backing off. Get a good muzzle break as well. Its going to be uphill sledding trying to shoot tiny groups with unnecessary recoil. What was your velocity and SD/ES with those loads?

Buddy had my chrono and waiting to get it back. I do have a t3 lite in 308 and it shoots these very well. Dont have the velo numbers off top of my head but shoots them about .311 MOA. But those are loaded to 2.800" due to my mag length. I have since upgraded to a LA bolt stop and L mag but considering how it shot, I left well enough alone.

The CTR I modified the bolt stop and have a L mag. After reading tons of threads on here and several other forums, I noticed guys running them in the hot side out to as close as .005", so I figured I'd start at .010" and go from there. I'm almost debating to try the T3 Lite recipe in this one just to see but figured I'd get some input on what I had before I just start burning powder

I wouldn't start a load workup on a new barrel especially at anything close to the lands since I know that 50 or 100 rounds from now they will have moved. I would start back at ~2.800" or thereabouts. But that's just me.

Yeah I'm going to try that. Been working with the bulldozer guy for the past few days on my hunting property and havent had a chance to go test anymore. but plan on loading some up this evening and going.

Local range was under construction getting burm fixed so finally got a chance to go shoot. 46 -46.5 look promising. Also 47-47.5 are nice and round and could possibly pull them in with seating depth. My magnetospeed should be back this weekend so I can get some velocities.