• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New Tikka T3 Bolt handle

Fortis

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2008
Central, Ohio
I recently traded for a T3 Tactical, and was very impressed with the rifle. The two things I didn't like were the Stock and the bolt knotb/handle. Tom Manners appears to be working on the stock issue. So I called up Tikka/Beretta and ordered the Large Factory Bolt handle. What I got for my $48 + $11 S/H was a plastic knob with an allen wrench to put on my existing bolt handle.

2guz251.jpg

So I went to my local Amish (yes Amish) machinist and had him make me an entirely new Handle/Knob assembly. What do you Tikka fans think?

295fjg6.jpg

16k6pae.jpg

midi03.jpg

Re: New Tikka T3 Bolt handle

Looks good i have fitted the TacOps bolt knobs to the T3 is works realy well and fits the standard cutout and stays swept back in the factory style allowing it to be easily used.

Cheers Bill

Bill

I looked at fitting a Tacops knob to the standard handle. When I factored in the Knob kit, gunsmithing and time. this just made more sense. This one is a true drop in part. I also looked at bending the shaft to match the factory swept back style, but straight worked just fine. It feels and works very well.

Thanks for looking

Kit

That's really nice work. Do you know what type of equipment your Amish machinist used to make this?

Its cool that on 2 sides of the atlantic, basicaly the same idea and developement occurs. Ive done that to quite a few Tikka T3's Tikka 595's and 695's.

The standard bolt handle is hollow in the knob and doesn't leave you much length if you cut the knob off and thread it, so i had a bunch of bolt handles made with an M8 thread on the end to enable installing different bolt knobs, some customers want them straight some want them curved back and its a simple job just to sweep them back a little.

nice job, nice bolt knob too, what thread did you use ?

regards Pete

TenringX
I'll PM you with information on these.

Badshot,
The machine shop is really something to see. He uses standard manual Milling equipment, His mill is a Bridgeport. Just no electricity. Everything is run by overhead line shafts and belts. The power comes from a 25hp Perkins Diesel pony motor that sits in a shed outside the shop. Next time I'm up there I'll ask him if I can take some photos and post them. The Amish around here are funny about pics. It really is like something you'd see on the History Channel. Melvin Is a great guy and is always willing to do my oddball stuff. He's just not cheap, but the quality is very good.

Pete
This just seemed like the logical way to get a better Bolt knob. The factory one just didn't seem that easy to modify. The $59 plastic factory ball just pissed me off. (sent it back unopened). I had it threaded 5/16-24 so I could use pretty much any standard knob (Badger), but I had Melvin spin up my version with several grooves in to to give it a little more traction.

Thanks for the intrest

Kit

If anyone is interested in these please PM or email me for details.

Thanks Kit

PM sent, Beretta continues to screw up their handling of the T3s...still hoping for a .260 or .243 in their varmint version as an out of the box tactical rifle. Now if they could get the price of a plastic 3-5 round mag under $50...

Yeah that plastic magazine for around $70 is bullshit. If you ever take off the stock and loose the recoil block it is $55 bucks. Bullshit too, it looks like someone milled off a silver dollar....$55 bucks.

They do shoot so well and that action is so smooth, it is hard not to love them.

The Beretta guys are morons for not capitalizing on such a nice rifle for so little. It would be nice if you could find some aftermarket stocks too.

Pete

Someone asked me if the T3 bolt handles and the older 695's were interchangable. would you happen to know?

Kit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fortis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pete
This just seemed like the logical way to get a better Bolt knob. The factory one just didn't seem that easy to modify. The $59 plastic factory ball just pissed me off. (sent it back unopened). I had it threaded 5/16-24 so I could use pretty much any standard knob (Badger), but I had Melvin spin up my version with several grooves in to to give it a little more traction.

Thanks for the intrest

Kit
</div></div>

I thought badger was 5/16-18? I could be very wrong though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fortis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Pete

Someone asked me if the T3 bolt handles and the older 695's were interchangable. would you happen to know?

Kit
</div></div>

No they are not, the dovetail is a different size where they fit the bolt. I had both here at the same time and tried interchanging them with no luck.

-matt

Guy, CDNN has the Tikka mags for around $35, I just spotted it yesterday.

With regards to what sucks on these.... I would have to say the stock and DBM top my list, the bolt knob is something I can live with. If someone came up with an inexpensive DBM using quality mags, I'd jump. Pete, I know you have the chassis system going, but AI chassis is not my cup of tea, I want a classic stock and a solid DBM. The T3 in .223 would make a SUPER platform for a .223AI if the mag system wasn't so short...SOOOO CLOSE

I spoke with Baretta, and the CS rep told me I was stupid....no kidding, he said "you are stupid", all I was asking was for the 223 mag to be blocked in such a way to allow a longer OAL. Remington should be paying that guy's salary.... he completely destroyed my as a potential customer of Baretta products.

medicjim, long time no hear, how goes it?
i have a completely writen CNC program to produce an alloy version of the T3 bottom metal ( i know, its plastic) using the T3 mags,(for the guys who want to stock with the T3 mags) and a version of the T3 bottem metal using different all steel mags, I'm just waiting on a decent 30-06 length mag to get the ball rolling and put them into production.
I'm toying with the idea of copying the tikka mags in steel and altering the internal lengths into the job as they do suit a hunting rifle, I do have a prototype that takes an AICS short action mag and looks (and is) a cross between our Howa mag system and the tikka T3 plastic unit,.

Now I would like to know what would be most popular, a mag system that drops into the existing tikka inlet, or one that needs to be specialy inletted for, ( as in the case of the badger remington system), it makes sence to stick with the factory style for drop into factory stocks, but what if, lets say Tom Manners did an inlet for T3 and a different mag system, he aready inlets for our Howa mag system and if I send him a T3 DBM unit, I'm sure he will inlet for that too..

Fortis.
Kit well done on the idea, looks a great job, I did all mine 8mm thread as thats the standard bolt knob thread ober here.
Modifying the standard Tikka handle is a bitch the damn things are so hard,

Matt the handles I had made could be altered to fit the older Tikka's if we left the last stage of machining off, I just hand fitted them at the time, they where also reversable for left and right handed rifles ( an advantage of having a straight handle over a curved one, beats my why Tikka didnt do that, they would have only had to have one handle instead of two then.

Pete

Pete, I would think that the "drop in" tikka DBM would be pretty popular over here, as most of the guys that have the T3 use it purely a hunting format, so if they could unbolt the plastic floorplate and bolt on a new one, that would be a winner.

Me personally, I'll be replacing the stock so getting it inletted for a different bottom metal isnt a worry.

Loving your work mate.

JJ

Pete,

From a volume standpoint, I think Jester is right. The swap out bottom metal would probably move.

From my point of view, the T3 in 223 makes a great starting point for a 223 AI build. With the cost of reloading supplies increasing daily, the 223 AI with it's long relative barrel life and cheap components is going to continue to grow in popularity. The T3 barrel is probably the best of the production options out there (1:8 twist is perfect) and it's not a big deal to rechamber to 223AI. The action is nice too. If I could buy a basic manners stock and ANY DBM that would reliably feed a longer OAL round, it would make for a relatively inexpensive custom LR rig....

YOu might even consider building a few and selling them as semi-custom rigs off the shelf...

Kit I hope your not pissed that we seem to have hijacked this thread, just holler if you are bud ok,.,.

JJ and Medicjim. the thing to do is have both. same bottom piece, 2 different magazine slots. call one the hunter version the other the tactical.

For a custom build fitting a mag system to a T3 is a piece of cake.

I like the T3 too, not as much as i like the 595 but I like it.

I do however wish that Howa would do a .223 with an 8". that would make your cheap .223AI very realistic, the Howa barrels i would say are as good as the tikka.

Ive just got one of the Robertson T3 tactical stocks in, nice shape, i like it, wheel for the adj cheeck is a bit in the way, but otherwise its good.

Pete

Pete

No problem with hijacking. I would like to keep the thread alive for any after market Tikka parts or suggestions.

Kit

I just checked CDNN for mags. everthing they list is out-of-stock at this time. Their prices are good though. $39.99

Hi Pete, what do you think about the quality of the Robertson stock?
I am thinking about ordering a Light Hunter Silhouette for my T3 Battue.
Once you bed the action on the tactical stock, can you please post some photos of the recoil lug area?

Thanks

Craig

R-8429-3.jpg

Robertson Light Hunter Silhouette

Hi Craig,
The stock is ok. the cammo is a bit 70's wall paper looking, but otherwise ok, its the same colour as the one you just posted up.

But what pissed me of is that the adj cheeck piece isn't cut back enough for the bolt on anything but a .223 or .308 Tikka. I put a 300wm in it and you can't cycle the damn bolt unless the cheek is all the way down, pointless having an adjustable cheek then eh..
My guess is that Robertson had a T3 on hand when designing the stock, and didn't even think about the fact that on some of the T3's the bolts go further back.
I'll send you some pics and post some up as soon as i can eh..
Pete

Pete,

Can you please post the pics on this thread, I would like to see them as well.

Thanks!

Pete

I am very interested in alloy bottom metal for the Tikka using the factory mags. I may be in the minority here but I don't mind the factory mags. A metal version of the Factory mag would be great too, as would a AI type mag system.
Lots of comments have been made about the fact their "plastic". There are a ton of Steyr's out there that have been using "plastic" mags for 20+ years, not to mention all the AR mags being produced now, P-Mags from MagPul probably being the best well known.
The thing that does become a factor for me is the cost and availability of the Factory ones.

Kit

does anyone know where i can get the tikka/sako mirage band all that i have been able to find online is that it comes with the back up iron sight trg set for over 200 buck all i want is the band or a aftermarket equivilant or maybe if anyone knows if the accuracy international bands will work i have found those for 20 bucks

how soon will they be available,how much will they cost and can i add on to the muzzlebreak order that i just did

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how soon will they be available,how much will they cost and can i add on to the muzzlebreak order that i just did</div></div>

X2 Pete, I am in my 14 wait for the BAFA paperwork, any chance on adding a band on my order?

/cl

Pete,
Any chance you cam PM Tom's email - I send an email frpm your web site a few days ago, but no answer.

Thanks

/cl

where can i buy this bolt handle????????? please help me!!!!!!!
wink.gif

Bottom Metal. working on it,
T3 Mags + TRG mags,,mirrage bands, working on it, Tom will put them in with fotos at the weekend.

Bolt handle, batch in production.

Clang, email me, i'll kick Tom, he's very busy,
regards Pete

Fortis would you mind sharing info also with me (stock bolt handle is crappy
smile.gif
) since i'm also in the market for one.

Thanks...

Sharac

I have several already made up. The price is $100.00 shipped CONUS. I also have Stainless now. they are $5.00 more. If you want more pics. let me know.

Thanks for looking

Kit

I would like to see more pics too and if you could pm the details on how to get one that would be great.

Pete

I too would be interested in an alloy shroud. Also how is the Alloy Bottom Metal project coming. I have a Manners stock on order and that would be the cat's ass.

Kit