• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Timney CZ 457 Trigger

JAS-SH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Hi All,

Got mine today and immediately installed it. The CZ 457 trigger is OK, but if you've ever shot rifles with excellent triggers, it's, as I mentioned, just OK. As for trigger shoe geometry, I'm also not a fan of full curve triggers (CZ 457). I prefer triggers that curve at the top but very little at the bottom. I find them safer as well.

I was skeptical about spending the $157 for the Timney as I've never had one of their triggers. Well, it's not OK, it's WOW! Huge difference from the factory trigger - buttery smooth, crisp break and effortless press with no back pressure loading. All in all the trigger press is very smooth and consistent. Came set from the factory a hair over one pound on my scale. Tight over travel too, which I prefer. I also like the geometry of the trigger shoe much better than the factory CZ.

I now have an excellent trigger on my CZ 457 - Yay!

i-6hkmzcg-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ZG47A
Really thinking about one, where did you find it for that price? Thanks!
I went straight to the source - direct from Timney. Great people. They included a lollipop in the package! :).

That said, they are having a lot of demand for it right now. Mine took about 5 days to ship and then two days in transit with FEDEX 2-day delivery.

All the best,

JAS

Reactions: ZG47A
How high will it go On poundage? (Have a two lb minimum requiremen in some matches). Is this single or two stage operation?

ordered mine from Timney also. Came yesterday. Had to adjust over travel up to get hammer to fall. Was worried I had messed something up until I figured that to be the issue.

I unintentionally dialed it down to about 4 ounces, which was way too light. Turned it back up to around 8.5, and it feels great. My stock trigger was a bit over 2lb, so this is a huge change for me.

Good morning guys I’m wondering if we have any of the original Beta testers for this trigger on here? The reason I’m asking is I’m wondering if you have received your trigger that was promised to you from the first run of triggers. I have contacted them 3times and keep giving me the run around. Wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t spend $ on multiple different types of ammo to make sure it all ran ok with the trigger. Not to mention my time. Just not good business practices in my eyes.

I'm being the Devils advocate on this one.

I can keep the stock trigger and lap the trigger sear and change a spring to a .014" wire and get a six to eight once trigger for $25.00 max
( 3.3% of rifle cost. )
Or I can buy a new Timney for $157.00 ( 21% of my $750.00 rifle cost ) What are the benefits that aren't jumping out at me?
I get the trigger geometry and even the blade texture ....
I put a Flaig Ace shoe on my 3 457s and most of my other guns as well.
Also a Vudoo bolt knob and a Anarchy Outdoors extended mag release. The DIP mag release is only .080" longer than the factory
release that I got sick of digging for. With the AO release you pinch the magazine release with your index finger and thumb on the back
of the mag and it nearly fly's out of the housing.

I'm having the same problem justifying a Bix-n-Andy for my B14R. I've had a trigger Tech Diamond in my V22 and just want something
different next time I get a 700 type trigger. That said, I just worked on the Bergara trigger and I dropped it below 8 oz.
And it's short and crisp. It's no longer the long, heavy, miserable trigger I got from the factory. Total cost was under $25.00
I cant provide an exact weight right now because I have lost my scale in the sea of gun stuff. I'm being over-run !! HELP.
The Bergara has a Vudoo knob as well. The factory knob was too short and the knurling too sharp for the way I slap the bolt around.
FYI... Lumley makes an adapter to go from 5/16-24 to M6

I guess the B14R wasn't HORRIBLE.... I shot the groups with the factory unit. I just preferer lite, short, crisp triggers. I just sold my Annie 54 with a DST that was set to half an once. That was a fairly hairy trigger by even my standards. It's non set trigger was 5.6 oz. which is about as heavy as I like them.

My pal just texted and reminded me that he has my trigger scale. That swine !! I will post my trigger weight later today.

Attachments

• 20210617_105232.jpg
    20210617_105232.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 320
  • AA EXT MAG REL.jpg
    AA EXT MAG REL.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 287
  • 10 SHOTS @ 50 YARDS  .34 CTC.jpg
    10 SHOTS @ 50 YARDS .34 CTC.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 286
  • NEW TARGET.jpg
    NEW TARGET.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 276
  • 7-21-21-A.jpg
    7-21-21-A.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Reactions: WeeHooker
I'm being the Devils advocate on this one.

I can keep the stock trigger and lap the trigger sear and change a spring to a .014" wire and get a six to eight once trigger for $25.00 max
( 3.3% of rifle cost. )
Or I can buy a new Timney for $157.00 ( 21% of my $750.00 rifle cost ) What are the benefits that aren't jumping out at me?
I get the trigger geometry and even the blade texture ....
I put a Flaig Ace shoe on my 3 457s and most of my other guns as well.
Also a Vudoo bolt knob and a Anarchy Outdoors extended mag release. The DIP mag release is only .080" longer than the factory
release that I got sick of digging for. With the AO release you pinch the magazine release with your index finger and thumb on the back
of the mag and it nearly fly's out of the housing.

I'm having the same problem justifying a Bix-n-Andy for my B14R. I've had a trigger Tech Diamond in my V22 and just want something
different next time I get a 700 type trigger. That said, I just worked on the Bergara trigger and I dropped it below 8 oz.
And it's short and crisp. It's no longer the long, heavy, miserable trigger I got from the factory. Total cost was under $25.00
I cant provide an exact weight right now because I have lost my scale in the sea of gun stuff. I'm being over-run !! HELP.
The Bergara has a Vudoo knob as well. The factory knob was too short and the knurling too sharp for the way I slap the bolt around.
FYI... Lumley makes an adapter to go from 5/16-24 to M6

I guess the B14R wasn't HORRIBLE.... I shot the groups with the factory unit. I just preferer lite, short, crisp triggers. I just sold my Annie 54 with a DST that was set to half an once. That was a fairly hairy trigger by even my standards. It's non set trigger was 5.6 oz. which is about as heavy as I like them.

My pal just texted and reminded me that he has my trigger scale. That swine !! I will post my trigger weight later today.
If 8oz is good for you I agree completely. In my case I want less. My Scar is set at 3oz for BR shooting.

Reactions: Appalachian
Hold on guy's .... I'm not suggesting that any trigger alteration is superior to a full blown professional trigger replacement.
It's not even close. I am saying, that with a little creativity you can make considerable improvement's to any existing trigger design.
My old Springfield 1922 M2 or a new Bergara B14R. They are all simple mechanisms that involve springs and levers.

This actually started on another thread.... It was suggested to me that I could ad a #4-40 set screw to the B14R trigger to limit it's sear
engagement and that was the perfect solution. I tried to politely say that they were missing the boat on a lot of opportunities and
and I was looking to capitalize on some really tricked out options to enhance the Bergara 700 style trigger. One guy came out and said the #4-40 was perfect !! I tried to explain to him that I saw a plethora of opportunities beyond a heavy, short sear engagement.

I also mentioned that the set screw they use should have a oval tip and a nylon locking element. There is a distance between the trigger
and the housing and a short set screw could simply fall inside the trigger unit. That would mean grinding the seven rivets off to clear the problem.

My first attempt at altering the trigger weight was to ad a 6-32 spring plunger. It pushes the upper portion of the trigger in a clockwise
direction against the factory spring. That does two things. First, the body of the plunger limits the sear engagement just like a set screw does. Second, it's spring loaded nose will counter balance against the factory torsion spring. So according to the factory published weights, the trigger spring exerts a value of 3 pounds and three ounces, a total of 51 ounces. My added plunger exerts a force of 40 ounces in a direction opposite of the factory spring. So the net result is 11 ounces that your finger needs to over come. That neglects friction and blah, blah, blah..... and blah!

I have skipped a lot of details, ratios and coefficients of friction and dumbed it down to the point of being inaccurate simply to convey a concept. The bottom line today, with my first attempt, without grinding the 7 rivets off to get inside the trigger, my
pull weight is 11 ounces. Oddly, the trigger feels like my six once Annie but it still measures 11 ounces on the scale.
That makes it 21.5% of the factory pull weight. To me, that's a good start and it's a fun puzzle for me to work on.
I will refine it more tomorrow just because I can. I feel compelled to find it's limits prior to cracking her open.
I want to avoid that because the average person wont want to do that. What I have done thus far has been: Easy Peasy!

If you had the 6-32 tap the entire alteration would cost you $6.00 plus shipping from McMaster-Carr.

One of my more bizarre ideas is to incorporate magnets to do my dirty work !!

To me, this is simply another exercise in mental gymnastics and I do it simply as a challenge and for the fun of it.
I pass the information on to the SH group for people that lack the cash to burn. On that note... If you haven't paid $50.00 for
your gun to be lot tested, your wasting your time. My Vudoo will shoot .34" ctc groups with good ammo and .875" ctc groups
with the wrong Center X ammo.

Is the trigger worth replacing??? I will shoot it and decide tomorrow. Personally, I doubt my B14R would be my first choice for BR
matches anyway. My Annie 54 Super Match would be a much better choice and she is a stock gun. I feel like the Bergara is a very nice
rifle given it's price point of $950.00 It's unlikely I will change much of her factory configuration. I'm thinking she will remain my
Factory Class gun.

As a side bar.... I just bought a Springfield 1922 M2. Someone parkerized the devil out of every component to the point of it being monochromatic. . I was able to find a perfect arsenal refurb and duplicate it's appearance. She looks great now!! I also found that
their are hundreds of M1 magazines but none for the M2 and they are not interchangeable. I bought a M1 magazine with hopes that I
could make it work with some small alterations.
Upon receipt of the M1 magazine bought on evil bay, I have compared it to my M2 magazine and I fail to see why it wont work in my gun.
On 10/28/2021, I will put here back together and confirm that the new M1 mag will work in my M2 rifle. My gun has a SN of 2259B. The "B" indicates that all of the arsenal modifications and upgrades have been done.
Hopefully I will be able to let you know that the mag works and you may not need to spend $175.00 on a M2 magazine if and when they become available.

Attachments

• B14R TRIGGER JOB.jpg
    B14R TRIGGER JOB.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 171
  • bt1.jpg
    bt1.jpg
    716.7 KB · Views: 252
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 115
If 8oz is good for you I agree completely. In my case I want less. My Scar is set at 3oz for BR shooting.
BScar just emailed me to ask how I wanted my trigger! I went with the 3oz single stage too.

I'm just playing with my old triggers as a challenge or fun. The next 700 that I need will be a Bix-N-Andy because
I have never had one of those yet.

HEY.... I'm looking for any threads that talk about the Springfield 1922 M2. Can anybody help me find them.
Thank you

With about 30 min of work the stock trigger can go below 8. I have mine at 5oz and could go less but I like the feel there since I will be doing some NRL also. I do want to try a scar trigger to see what it's all about.