• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New tires for my Ram 2500... opinions and insight wanted

WoobieJ

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
West Texas
It's not an auto forum, but I trust the hide's advice!

It's about time to replace the OEM tires on my 2017 Ram 2500 CCLB (4wd). I'm wanting to get ya'll's opinion on tires if you've had any of them, or any articles you've read on them.

Application will be a 45 minute highway drive to a ranch road with rutting (dirt and caliche / slick mud when wet) and some water crossings. I live in Texas so inclement weather is pretty much a given. My commute to work is < 5 min so that aspect is not really an issue. Dry and Wet pavement performance, hydroplaning resistance, and moderate mud clearing ability is the primary goal. I'm not going mud bogging, I just don't want slicks on a muddy ranch road either. I do not want a tire that is as loud or louder than Toyo MTs. I do not tow over 6000lb ever, occasionally I will carry a pallet of corn (2000lb) in the bed to the ranch.

1. BF Goodrich KM3
- In reading, a good candidate, and surprisingly low highway noise from reviews?
2. Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX
- Positive reviews, durable and capable with some negatives being cited as road noise after wear and initial balancing issues? A favorite with oilfield industry.
3. Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
- Positive reviews, and good highway manners, silica tread compound for wet performance (like cooper) and good tread depth. Concerns on clearing of mud?

I have previously owned two sets of Toyo MT's and I loved them offroad but the highway noise was slightly annoying with long drives (more so to the spouse than to me:ROFLMAO:). I'm not interested in BFG KO2's, or Toyo RTs. I have also previously owned a different set of falken tires (AT i believe) and they were very capable and I ended up buying them again on a previous truck.

Any insight, pictures would be appreciated! Thanks.

I got a set of wildpeaks on my 12’ 2500, 40k miles on them now. A local dealer sold them to me cheap and I haven’t had a problem with them.

On our farm during the winter I need the clearance so I put on a taller size but the downside is the sidewall flex when towing heavy like I normally do. I’d like to go with bigger rims and a slight offset to give me a wider and more stable foot print for towing, then I wouldn’t need as much side wall height to give me my clearance.
I would just get a dually but they suck in snow and ice.

I know you dont have them listed, but Hankook Dynapro AT-M. They have a stepped tread pattern that sheds debris immediately without clinging, and also rides quiet. Not even half as loud as my bfg AT-KO’s were.

Reactions: goinghunting
I'd go for the one in the middle the other two are just to damn Big.
9726_310708112251.jpg

Dick cepek trail country exp.

Similar tread design to the cooper maxx's but much cheaper. They also have a 45000 mile warranty. They do have some road noise but the only tire i can compare it to is the old goodyear mtr. The trail country is by far quieter but like i said still hase a light howl to them.

No real mud bogging experience but the mud i have gotten into i have been very impressed.

Reactions: 45.308
PROCOMP AT's and don't look back. They grip in rain, snow, ice on he road very well. They also grip well offroad and in muddy terrain. The 50k mileage warranty on them from ProComp is also a big plus with 4WheelParts.
I've run those, Nitto's an two other sets of trail/mud tires on my Dak 4x4 and the only tires worth a shit in teh rain, snow anice on the road were teh ProComps where all others failed miserably and they weren't even as good offroad as the ProComp.

^^^^ If not the Duratracks the ProComps are right there. I had 35" Xtreme ATs on a F150 and they were fantastic. Only downside was they were one direction only, made rotation not quite as easy.

My F-250 had a set of Pro Comp extreme M/T's on it when I bought it. I have to say those were the noisiest, worst riding tires I have ever had in my life. I ran super swamper TSL's on several truck for years and those Pro Comp M/T's made the super swampers sound quite. They did last forever though, the only redeeming feature I found for them. I replaced them with Toyo M/T's have just under 20,000 miles on them now, and see no problem getting 40K out of them. The highway noise is not to bad on mine. Have been debating a set of KM3's or Toyo M/T's for one of our farm trucks needing tires now myself

Anyone out there have personal insight on the KM3?
I'm running a set of KM3's right now on a Frontier. I've been through 2 sets of the MK2's and never really had a problem. They do get nosier on the road as they wear, however it also acts as an audible speedometer.

So far I have about 1500 miles on the KM3's and nothing to complain about. Be careful on cattle guards. I have one in a turn going home, and if I don't watch it, you are sideways without any effort. I had the same issue with the KM2's though.

BFG TKOs... i run them on my super duty. Very good ride and quite on the highway. Excellent traction in the snow last winter. I pulled my father-in-law out of a ditch without spinning a tire on ice.

I also have Wranglers with Kevlar on my Tacoma. Not been off road yet but I've been overly impressed with the ride and feel on the highway. They did very well in snow too.

I run Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Been pleased with them since they came out.
I second this I have had 2 sets and have had 1 flat, mesquite thorn 4” long in the side wall. The first set I had 62000 on them when I put new ones on. Not to much road noise and tougher than shit

For a truck that heavy, I have moved away from AT and MT tires and went with the michelins ltx. I have a Ram 3500 SRW and went with the michelins. I had Cooper AT2 extreme and hated them on that truck. Loud, mushy handling.

Fwiw, I run 70 miles highway everyday and off-road with it towing gooseneck trailers and other loads. So far, even though it's slick mud in places, I haven't been stuck or immobile. The truck weighs 9,000 lbs, it's not nimble in heavy mud and if I can't get in and out with the 10 ply michelins, I don't need to be there in that heavy beast.

Traditionally, I was in the mindset I needed off-road tires, but I haven't needed them and happy I didn't buy them. And actually, I'm a person who can get full use from off-road tires.

If you want them for looks then that's different but functionally I'm glad I went with Michelin ltx

Reactions: Ravenworks
I run KO2's on an older Toyota and like them, but for my work vehicle, I always go for Toyo AT II. They handle great in the rain/snow, quiet, and seem to get max miles out of them. I've turned a few buddies onto them as well. If you're not a serious offroader, take a look at them as well.

Ive had a couple of sets of the Cooper Zeons - great off road, handle great on pavement, low noise and great mileage.

I know you dont have them listed, but Hankook Dynapro AT-M. They have a stepped tread pattern that sheds debris immediately without clinging, and also rides quiet. Not even half as loud as my bfg AT-KO’s were.

Oh God no. Horrible, completely unpredictable handling. I've had them on several work trucks, you couldn't pay me to run them on my own. One second you're thinking "these are amazing!", next second you're wondering why you're stuck in 3" of mud.

The tread wears like iron, but I've never got more than 30k without blowing sidewalls. I'm under the rated load, but they show signs of under-inflation with the full pressure (80 psi on an "E").

Finally convinced the owner to let me pick my own tires.

I've ran 2 sets of Toyo a/t II on my own truck. They lasted longer than the warranty, had stable and predictable traction, and are quiet.
Cooper AT3 on my Denali. They need rotated every 3k to prevent cupping the outer lugs. 6k with oil changes was too long. They're louder than the Toyo's, but similar stable predictable traction.

I work in the oilfield and also have a Ram 2500. Ive had MT type tires since the day I drove off the lot with the truck. The Toyo MTs were good, my 2nd set I had went with Interco swamper SSRs (Those sucked in every way possible) and now I have Interco M16s. Im very happy with the M16s. I drove down to Rayne Louisiana (I live in Louisiana) and got these 37s for 1400. Thats including tax, mounting and balancing. So far the M16s have been my favorite tire. They work well in sloppy stuff, have the load rating I need, and the kids and dogs like to pile up in the bed when Im working on the property.

20190405_154314.jpg

Here’s what I went with -

Before

After
0f7c0fd1-1332-46ea-8724-190d5f2a2bad-jpeg.7066546

Falken AT3W 285/75r18, which is a 35x11.5r18 essentially. No rubbing on stock suspension, almost no additional noise over stock, and they seem great so far! Really changed the look of the truck. I'll get AEV salta wheels next time around.
I’ll have to post again once I have more miles on them and have felt them in rain, mud, dirt, sand etc.

Attachments

• 0F7C0FD1-1332-46EA-8724-190D5F2A2BAD.jpeg
    0F7C0FD1-1332-46EA-8724-190D5F2A2BAD.jpeg
    648.4 KB · Views: 645
My 16 3500 needs new rubber soon. I'm decided on a Cooper At3 XLT. Made in USA...