• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to 10/22. Factory heavy barrel or build one? 16" vs 20"?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hey everyone,

I want to get a 10/22 to shoot crows with my buddy and I was looking at the Ruger Talo 20" heavy barrel 10/22, however they also have a 16" version. I know 22lr has about 14" of powder burn, so if going for accuracy at longer distances, does the 20" offer anything over the 16"?

I was also considering a Faxon 16" heavy barrel and Faxon receiver build, but a lot of videos state you really can't buy accuracy for a 10/22. I put a Faxon 6.5 Grendel barrel on my Aero AR and that thing shoots sub-moa with FGGM so that's why Faxon is being considered. But does a match barrel really do that much for 22lr?

Thoughts? Anyone been down this road before?

I am a 22LR guy so have a little knowledge...but not a master. No real benefit in a longer barrel unless you are looking for more weight out front. Recommend checking out RimfireCentral, more info on 22LR on that site than you will be able to digest.

And yes, you can buy accuracy, just depends on how much you want to spend. KIDD rifles (actions, barrels, and triggers) are the best in the 10/22 game, I have three of them and they will hang with most bolt guns with no problem. Have also put a KIDD trigger kit in my basic 10/22 and improved the trigger a lot. If you have the budget, just buy a full KIDD rifled action and pick your stock of choice. If you want to do a build with other action/barrel, then at least check out their triggers, the 2-stage is amazing!