• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to AK47s and want to learn

cgilbert37

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2020
Hi,

I am just starting to shop for an AK and don’t know much about them. How can I get spun up on which to buy? Like, which brands/models/etc

Thanks all

AK’s have somehow become this legendary thing in the US. I’d get used to the following dichotomy:
“AK’s are the most reliable gun in the world, but if you don’t spend at least $3k and only have it hand-made by the one or two American builders that put out semi-ok stuff it’ll be a piece of crap!”

What I’ve learned about AK’s is that they’re garbage at best, they’re an extremely overpriced niche product that shouldn’t be niche, modifying anything about them is a nightmare, and they’re grossly overrated for being reliable.

If 7.62 was 5 cents per round they’d be cool as a toy to dump into trash. At today’s market price of $.50+ for junk 7.62 they’re laughably useless.

Just get a zastava, they look nice and will fill that void you think you are missing. Once you get over it you can sell it for not much less than you paid for it. Just remember to ask some ridiculous price for it like all people do when they sell a used gun.

Just get a zastava, they look nice and will fill that void you think you are missing. Once you get over it you can sell it for not much less than you paid for it. Just remember to ask some ridiculous price for it like all people do when they sell a used gun.
Thanks. I’ll look into it.

My motivation is nostalgic. I got shot at by many of them in Afghanistan and one of the times was a super close call. I was able to take that one to the range later, it was kinda cool.

Like Iouu said, if you want a no bullshit war factory grade AK, the stuff Zastava is producing right now is the best you'll find.

I wouldn't bother putting anything other than maybe an optic on one. Find a small online store where someone makes AK-74 style wood (lightning cut stock, palm swell handguard), throw those on, buy good metal mags and have fun with it. Get an AK front sight tool and better muzzle device.

Rob Ski of AKOU sells pretty much all you need and the man is without a doubt probably the best guy to learn anything AK from. He has dozens of hours worth of content on setting up and properly using an AK.

AK Operators Union

I used to be heavy into AKs myself and the AK has it's own style of cool. However don't bother trying to force it to be a modern carbine. It can do it, but only sub-optimally.

Last edited:
Like Iouu said, if you want a no bullshit war factory grade AK, the stuff Zastava is producing right now is the best you'll find.

I wouldn't bother putting anything other than maybe an optic on one. Find a small online store where someone makes AK-74 style wood (lightning cut stock, palm swell handguard), throw those on, buy good metal mags and have fun with it. Get an AK front sight tool and better muzzle device.

Rob Ski of AKOU sells pretty much all you need and the man is without a doubt probably the best guy to learn anything from. He has dozens of hours worth of content on setting up and properly using an AK.

AK Operators Union

I used to be heavy into AKs myself and the AK has it's own style of cool. However don't bother trying to force it to be a modern carbine. It can do it, but only sub-optimally.
Awesome reply! Thank you

Reactions: Charmingmander
For $1000-1500 you can get solid performing AK.

Arsenal, Zastava, WBP…all good guns.

You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. That being said, if you get into an AK knowing the limitations of the platform & available Ammo they are fun to have around.

AK’s have somehow become this legendary thing in the US. I’d get used to the following dichotomy:
“AK’s are the most reliable gun in the world, but if you don’t spend at least $3k and only have it hand-made by the one or two American builders that put out semi-ok stuff it’ll be a piece of crap!”

What I’ve learned about AK’s is that they’re garbage at best, they’re an extremely overpriced niche product that shouldn’t be niche, modifying anything about them is a nightmare, and they’re grossly overrated for being reliable.

If 7.62 was 5 cents per round they’d be cool as a toy to dump into trash. At today’s market price of $.50+ for junk 7.62 they’re laughably useless.

i have a hard time taking them seriously as a defensive rifle and lack of last round bolt catch. fine for a truck gun or beater though.

as you said, great blaster when ammo was cheap. a relic now.

I'd suggest you buy a WBP from Atlantic. They are awesome to deal with.

I have a couple of Romanian AKs. They are cool, but an AR is easier to work on, lighter, smoother, and more ergonomic.

Reactions: cgilbert37
A while back I too wanted to acquire an AK-47. My interest was battle rifles. However, I also like firearms that shoot (group) well. When I saw what it would cost to get an AK to fit my desires I expanded my options. What I found was the IWI Galil Ace Gen 2. Similar features to an AK but with enhancements and closer to the accuracy I wanted.

If it is the AK look you are after than enjoy your search.

I think the best thing that was ever said about the AK, is that you could give it (and some ammo) to a peasant in sandals with a flat rock and some kerosene & rags and they’re good to go on maintaining/running it.

I did multi day classes with mine. The ammo was cheap then so it was a good savings $$. Not a single issue with it running….A lot of low quality ARs had issues.

Now with the ludicrous cost of purchase and the ammo cost, I can’t see it makes a lot of sense. Nostalgia certainly is a good reason though.

Reactions: MSTN and tucaz
I think the best thing that was ever said about the AK, is that you could give it (and some ammo) to a peasant in sandals with a flat rock and some kerosene & rags and they’re good to go on maintaining/running it.

I did multi day classes with mine. The ammo was cheap then so it was a good savings $$. Not a single issue with it running….A lot of low quality ARs had issues.

Now with the ludicrous cost of purchase and the ammo cost, I can’t see it makes a lot of sense. Nostalgia certainly is a good reason though.
The AK is a great utilitarian design. Very rugged. Very simple. Every tool you need is on/in the rifle. The irons are more effective than people say. Good examples from good makers are more accurate than most think. Very effective cartridge choices.

But it's hard to recommend them now when ARs are cheap, plentiful and reliable. And Russian ammo being banned from import was the final nail.

Many modern AK variants (like Zastava) have a last round hold open

As a defensive option? Largely a personal choice, but if you can't defend yourself with an AK as well as you can with an AR thats largely operator error

i agree with that and personal preference is key. like anything else, i'm glad we have so many options. i'd rather go into battle with a proficient AK user, than a casual with the lastest $3000 rifle that he never shoots

was unaware of the zastava feature. thats nice.

The hold open is only with the Yugo type mags or followers. As soon as you eject the mag the bolt will close.

The Zastava rifles are heavier than the AKM or AK100 type rifles due to the thicker receiver and RPK type bulged trunion. If you do want to make changes the Zastava rifles are Yugo spec which is different than the AKM pattern rifles. Not a big issue but make sure you are aware if you plan to get an optic mount or change the furniture.

The hold open is only with the Yugo type mags or followers. As soon as you eject the mag the bolt will close.

The Zastava rifles are heavier than the AKM or AK100 type rifles due to the thicker receiver and RPK type bulged trunion. If you do want to make changes the Zastava rifles are Yugo spec which is different than the AKM pattern rifles. Not a big issue but make sure you are aware if you plan to get an optic mount or change the furniture.

ok that makes sense. i have some 20 round tanker mags that will hold open in my one AK and yes, drops the carrier once its out.

Reactions: Charmingmander
No one should be telling anyone to buy a Century built AK. Who cares if they last 5k rounds NOW when they were absolutely fucking garbage just a couple years ago? You shouldn't buy from them on principle for that reason alone. Their shill marketeering with their dogshit AKs is legendary.

Stick to AKs made by companies that provide them to military/LE/etc outside of the US. or PSA GF5s if you want a cheaper blaster.

Hmmmm....what?

You can buy a cheap AK for like $650 and a good one for ~$1k

If you are buying the poverty tier shit for like $450 then you're going to have issues.

But guys are putting 5k+ rounds on VSKAs with 0 issues.

$700-1k is "over priced" for a rifle?

Modifications?.....if you can't swap handguards and a stock on an AK you are functionally retarded.

~$0.50/ round is pretty comparable to 5.56 the fuck are you on about?

Oooooor, you can just buy an AK chambered in 5.56 and now your argument is null and void.

I'm not gonna sit here and argue the AK is the best rifle ever....but it's hardly the POS you make it out to be...frankly im fairly certain youve never actually owned an AK....ever.

OP if you want an decent budget AK...get a VSKA

If you want an absolutely bombproof AK, get a Zastava ( in before someone bitches it isnt actually an AK)

They aren't always plug and play like an AR is (to be fair not much is), and it is by and large a "dated" design by modern standards....but then again so are 1911s and revolvers and people are still running those very well today.

If the design was "a useless range toy", they wouldn't still be run by militaries and police forces around the world.
I've never owned an AK. I don't have a reason to. If someone wants one because they're fun or nostalgic, I think those are good reasons and there are some affordable AK's out there.

But you want to swap barrels? Hydraulic press.

You want to run a suppressor? Where are the adjustable gas blocks?

Your bolt is wearing on your receiver? Get out the TIG welder and mill.

You want to mount an optic? It's a janky cantilever bracket.

AK's were a technological marvel in the mid-20th century. They will always be stuck with the lack of modern features that more current and modular arms offer. That doesn't change what they are/were, it just puts them below the current bar.

well the adjustable gas block thing.....they do need an adjustable piston head from time to time...the KNS deal.

the last AK in the collection is this 762 krink and before the piston change it would throw empty's about 40-50 feet and knocked 2-3 rivets loose in about 2000 rounds. it was horrendous. i notched the piston head and that helped but when KNS's came round, that was the game changer.

my buddy has an old norinco 56S and it does the same, in fact it recoils so hard it's almost unshootable....fast follow ups are impossble.

Attachments

• KRINK 1.JPG
    KRINK 1.JPG
    644.1 KB · Views: 69
well the adjustable gas block thing.....they do need an adjustable piston head from time to time...the KNS deal.

the last AK in the collection is this 762 krink and before the piston change it would throw empty's about 40-50 feet and knocked 2-3 rivets loose in about 2000 rounds. it was horrendous. i notched the piston head and that helped but when KNS's came round, that was the game changer.

my buddy has an old norinco 56S and it does the same, in fact it recoils so hard it's almost unshootable....fast follow ups are impossble.
That is a beautiful rifle.

Reactions: tucaz
I have the KNS on all of my AK rifles. The one that probably didn't need it is my most recent Russian 74 parts kit build, but maybe because I shortened it to 14.5. The Bulgarian barrels are over gassed in my opinion for the 74. The KNS helps a lot with tuning even the non suppressed rifles. My 74's are virtually no recoil rifles now not that they were bad before. Even my 7.62 Saiga/Arsenal version is really soft shooting with the piston install.

There are adjustable gas blocks out there as well, but the piston is easy to install and works.

Mag fitment is about the main issue I have experienced. Sometimes the catch needs to be filed, sometimes you need to work on the mag. The 7.62 mags are a little more forgiving but the 74 needs to be just about perfect or you'll have feeding issues.

Expect to hand fit parts if you make changes. Not everything is drop in on these rifles. I would suggest run a red dot type optic, get an "enhanced" safety to make that manipulation easier and then find some good magazines. Run the shit out of it and learn the platform. Change to a KNS piston if the gun is really over gassed. The Zastava have a gas adjustment on the gas tube which helps and doesn't require a piston from what I have seen.

They can be reliable and combat accurate. My Saiga/Arsenal 7.62 loves a certain lot of older steel case Hornady stuff at about MOA. Sometimes less, sometimes slightly more. It was a pleasant surprise or maybe I just got a lucky with a really good one. The barrels on the 7.62 versions (hammer forged and chrome lined) last a really long time.

It's an old design so you have to remember that when you get into the platform. After the AKM all the new models are essentially slight changes to ease production and for parts commonality. Are they perfect? No. What firearm truly is?

Aks were awesome for 300$. I've had a polytech, milled mak 90(wich I should have kept) and a converted Russian saiga. I sold them all because they can't hang with even cheap psa level ars. Id like to have another at some point for mag dumping and smile inducing but that's about what they're good for imo.
Edit to say I've heard really good things about psa aks from people who opinions I trust. I may pick one up if I can find a side folder sub 600$

Hi,

I am just starting to shop for an AK and don’t know much about them. How can I get spun up on which to buy? Like, which brands/models/etc

Thanks all
Keep in mind I am not shit talking AKs, I get why people use them. I have a M1 Garand, probably for the same nostalgia reason that people buy AKs.

This is my issue with AKs. They are close to a 100 year old design. They have a stamped receiver, unless you seek out after market support, they don't have rails to mount things. Many of the after market rails do not hold zero and it makes using something like a PEQ or anything you need to hold zero problematic. The side mount optic rail is clumsy. You have to remove it to access the dust cover and do maintenance. I have gotten used to shooting tight groups on flat ranges. I find it harder to do with an AK.

Of the AKs that i have owned and shot, my favorite was made by Rifle Dynamics although it was pricey. The next would have been a Krebs SBR, very well put together rifle with some nice upgrades over a traditional AK. My next favorite was the AK 103 by Kalashnikov USA. If you look around on the internet, the internal wear patterns on the KUSA are very consistent with their Russian counterparts and they seem to be well made. I had bad luck with my PSA and I sold it. I do not like and have stayed away from non spec AKs.

Since 2020, I have gotten rid of all of them and I bought the Sig LT with 7.62 x 39 upper. I have come close to buying a Galil Ace Gen 2 which is effectively an AK. I think that for reasons of ergonomics, concentric barrels, better manual of arms, more inherent accuracy that both of these rifles are better than most AKs.

Good luck.

There's very little cheap x39 ammo floating around anymore - it's pretty much on par (cost wise) with 556, without any "match" options. If you go surplus trying to cut a few pennies, be aware there's still corrosive stuff floating around.

I need to revisit the KNS piston - I finally got around to getting the OSS can on and it's addition makes the noise at the receiver very noticeable.

A while back I too wanted to acquire an AK-47. My interest was battle rifles. However, I also like firearms that shoot (group) well. When I saw what it would cost to get an AK to fit my desires I expanded my options. What I found was the IWI Galil Ace Gen 2. Similar features to an AK but with enhancements and closer to the accuracy I wanted.

If it is the AK look you are after than enjoy your search.
Thanks for the IWI recommendation! I like that and am going to find one to check out

honestly, get an account on akfiles and browse the ak47 section. those freaks know more about ak's than Mikhail did.
^^This is the best advice.^^

Try and get an account on the AK Files.
Wait patiently, as the Mod's really do try and vet who they allow in. They're very protective of that forum.
Everyone there is a super douche to new guys. Be patient with that as well.

Also, Rob has done a phenomenal job with sharing his AK Operators Union videos with the internet. A lot of great information there. Find his older videos and start there; you can take the same journey he took with him.

The internet is full of opinions. The AK is still a viable fighting rifle.
The design is old. So is the AR. Tons of modern parts and accessories are being made to overcome those weaknesses, same as for the AR.

The AK is a nuanced rifle. It's like the Mauser in that they were made for and by dozens of different countries for different reasons/conflicts. There's a rich history and a lot of variants.
Be the most careful with US variants, as they're the only ones really made to turn a buck instead of win wars with. Some are better than others.

Good luck.
Feel free to message me with any questions.

Last edited:
Galil Ace is definitely worth checking out.
Another one is the CSA vz58 available through Atlantic. Not an AK, but still 7.62x39. These have excellent Walther Lothar barrels. Even with a milled receiver, they’re still lightweight and also have LRBHO.

Galil Ace is definitely worth checking out.
Another one is the CSA vz58 available through Atlantic. Not an AK, but still 7.62x39. These have excellent Walther Lothar barrels. Even with a milled receiver, they’re still lightweight and also have LRBHO.
Definitely not an AK.
But VZ.58's are the truth!
IMG_8200.jpeg
IMG_8053.jpeg
017F6264-BBE8-4988-A564-AFF8A7726A1A.jpeg

If looking to acquire, let me know. I can help.
I may or may not be a CSA dealer. :cool:

The internet is full of opinions. The AK is still a viable fighting rifle.
The design is old. So is the AR. Tons of modern parts and accessories are being made to overcome those weaknesses, same as for the AR.

What is the best mount currently available for a red dot on an AK with no scope mount rail?

What is the best mount currently available for a red dot on an AK with no scope mount rail?

You can always have a side rail added. Or add a master mount yourself.
I've had extremely good luck with Ultimak rails.
Attero Bravo is minimal and solid, you just may have to shim it.
Any of the nicer dust covers seem to hold zero well too. (I.E. Texas Weapons Systems, Zentico, MI Alpha mount, etc..)

There are many ways to skin this cat.

Last edited:
Reactions: sboone
AKs are cool. Even better when they are multi colored, under folder, terrorist cool too!
I had several, but sold them all off over time as they just didn't deliver in accuracy department.
I had a sweet ass "RPK" AES-10B with laminated wood & drum mags, and when I shot suppressive strings of fire at 4 IPSC plates, "Area denial weapon" I think I averaged 3 hits of 60 at 300yds. :ROFLMAO: Good way to mess up my galvanized poles used for target stands tho!

You can always have a side rail added. Or add a master mount yourself.
I've had extremely good luck with Ultimak rails.
Attero Bravo is minimal and solid, you just may have to shim it.
Any of the nicer dust covers seem to hold zero well too. (I.E. Texas Weapons Systems, Zentico, MI Alpha mount, etc..)

There are many ways to skin this cat.

I ran an ultimak with an eotech through a four day class and it work well. The problem was it got extremely hot.

I have looked at those “covers” and have not pulled the trigger because it is hard to see them holding zero. Perhaps I’ll have another look. I do like being able to pop that cover off quickly.

Not sure what a “master mount” is but I will look at that as well.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0715.jpeg
    IMG_0715.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: Bakwa
I have a Century c39v2. I replaced the furniture with Magpul stuff. It has a milled receiver and is heavy AF.

I tried the AK Master mount side rail and it’s a no go for anything; it wobbles noticeably. Replaced the dust cover with the TWS railed dust cover. So far, that seems to be solid; at least for the 3x prism I have on it.

Bought a Rearden muzzle brake and shoot it with my suppressors. They include shims to time it off the muzzle. A nice thing about the C39v2 is the barrels are concentric; as opposed to most comm block AKs. A can makes it heavy(er) and looong.

Yeah, it goes bang every trigger pull. So does an equivalently priced AR. It’s a 2-3 moa shooter with Belom brass cased ammo. An equivalently priced AR will be 1-2 moa with decent ammo.

Lots of guys looking at (or past) AKs think of them as cheap comm block surplus imports. They don’t account for the huge infrastructure necessary to build these “cheap” rifles.

AKs can be fine rifles. ARs can be every bit as reliable. Neither should be expected to be inexpensive.

I have riveted about 30 together back in day when parts kits were 60-75 bucks. Some notable things is the dust cover is not secure enough for any type of scope neither is the gas tube, so if want to be able to mount a red dot make sure the left side of the receiver has the rail, another thing is the triggers all suck ass, and lastly caliber while 7.62x39/5.45x39 is available, it might not always be, here lately I find myself wanting a 5.56 AK

Reactions: Bakwa
I have riveted about 30 together back in day when parts kits were 60-75 bucks. Some notable things is the dust cover is not secure enough for any type of scope neither is the gas tube, so if want to be able to mount a red dot make sure the left side of the receiver has the rail, another thing is the triggers all suck ass, and lastly caliber while 7.62x39/5.45x39 is available, it might not always be, here lately I find myself wanting a 5.56 AK
The traditional dust covers and gas tubes will wobble. Optic mounting products like the Ultimak or the TWS dust cover do not wobble like that because they have multiple points they lock down to. The Ultimak has U-bolts that it uses to literally lock down to the barrel, and all of the mentioned dust covers lock down forward and aft so not to lose zero.
If you're an OG builder, then you have a lot of experience that most don't possess. The aftermarket for AK's has grown tremendously since $60-75 parts kits however.

Many modern AK variants (like Zastava) have a last round hold open

As a defensive option? Largely a personal choice, but if you can't defend yourself with an AK as well as you can with an AR thats largely operator error
The front-heavy balance of AKs will always work against you compared to an AR, so you can get an AR-15 on-target faster.

I’ve been shooting them both in high-volume since the 1980s, including a lot of variants of each that most have not heard of or seen.

When I was younger and saw all the movies, I though AKs were the heat, until I started shooting them in high volume, and then my fondness for them waned rather quickly.

This video summed up a lot of things rather succinctly:

I have no experience with this, but a friend recently asked the same question, and this popped up during his search.

-Stan

I have no experience with this, but a friend recently asked the same question, and this popped up during his search.

-Stan

Thanks, I like the concept. I’ll need to find some reviews to see how they hold up.

Reactions: stanley_white
My main interest in AKs is nostalgia. I should be the biggest AK fanboy there is, but I’m just not one. I went looking through my albums and found a ton of photos I’ve forgotten about. I really should be a huge AK guy, but I like ARs despite the universe’s attempts to give me every opportunity to experience AKs of many different flavors over the past 4 decades.

In my first Recon Platoon, we had a bunch of them of different variants in the arms room, and used them for OPFOR sometimes when we augmented the permanent OPFOR units down at JRTC/ Fort Polk, LA. That included Type II AK47s, Romanian under-folders, and some others. I don’t have any photos of those, sadly. We primarily used our M16A1s though.

Did some foreign weapons familiarity with them in Korea, which included North Korean trash. Those looked like someone recycled tin cans to make the receivers, with soft balsa wood-like furniture, all corroded and nasty.

On my reenlistment day off, I coordinated a fam fire range for my Recon Platoon with 1st Group when I was at Fort Lewis, where we burned through 11,500rds in about 4hrs. These were Romanian AKM variants with foregrips and East German AK-74 folders in 5.45x39.

1-24INFScouts1998AKRNG_0006_zps60e33fdc.jpg

f158a308-ec46-40bc-9e64-01f2f5024462_zpsxfiibzzv.jpg

1-24INFScouts1998AKRNG_0003_zps72eda2d9.jpg

61663d7c-3fff-4f12-8ca2-23b059293a9e_zpsjfpfxqaj.jpg

1-24INFScouts1998AKRNG_0002_zpsf38d6eae.jpg

I think 4/5 of the Romanian guns broke, but you couldn’t tell until the next day when we went and cleaned them. The pins that hold the piston to the carrier had broken through the brush grind/polish that’s supposed to retain them, and worked out, scoring the inside of the gas tubes badly. East German guns were totally fine though from my recollection.

I’ve since spent a lot of time with all kinds of AKs in high volume courses mainly in Eastern Europe where the Bulgarian Arsenal guns have almost always choked in summer and sub-arctic conditions. I had high opinions of the Arsenals until exposed to shoot course schedules.

The Finnish Valmets and SAKOs are built like Nordic tanks, but are boat anchors. Have yet to see one choke, but wouldn’t want to carry one.

I like the Maadi for looks and nostalgia. I’m making a Red Dawn camo display case for it, already have the fabric.

20181029_093457_zpsosvbgj6y.jpg

20181029_094029_zpsxfelai4z.jpg

I’ve shot and messed with the AK-100 series a bit as well.

3020Lahdessa20PauliampRiku20copy_zpsivvnuva4.jpg

Here are some pics I took in the Central Red Army Museum in Moscow:

79538674-1caa-4657-b8d0-2bbcf99808ae_zpsdxeoxm1z.jpg

Jan-Feb2009004.jpg

Jan-Feb2009032_zpsfaa56753.jpg

Jan-Feb2009030_zpsac45e9d9.jpg

Jan-Feb2009029_zps98c61e37.jpg

Jan-Feb2009033_zpsf2c20c4f.jpg

This little Arsenal shorty was cool, suppressed:

2a449b44-c547-4720-879a-acb45f4f0aa1_zpsde3b134e.jpg

SAKO Rk92 in this pic:
Suomessa%20264_zpsqeq2shxl.jpg

Galil SAR in Estonia working with Estonians in 2008:

DSCF9390.jpg

AKS-74 w/GP-25 Grenade Launcher:
DSCF94301_zpsded7f94b.jpg

My favorite AKs are not even AKs, but the Swiss SIG 550 series. Those are superb examples of workmanship, coatings, fit, feel, and finish, which is the opposite of what AKs are unless you go custom.

Last edited:
One of the biggest design choices of the AK that kind of handicaps it today was the 1800s style battle rifle leaf sight placement in the middle of the gun.

The Finns dealt with this early-on with the Rk62 and went with a proper rear sight on the back of the receiver cover, and made a tight fit cover with locking mechanism to keep zero. They are the most accurate AK variants I have ever fired, hands-down. A combination of their barrel steel quality, sights, and Finnish high-quality brass-cased ammunition produce surprisingly-accurate guns.

iu

The Israelis copied this by taking that receiver and making the 5.56 NATO Galil out of it. They went with the FN paratrooper stock and Stoner 63A assault rifle mags with welded sheet metal around them to fit the AK rock & lock mag well. They are also boat anchors but collectible.

iu

The Finnish piston and gas system is better than any of the others I have seen, until you go with something custom. They have a fluted flange behind the piston head, and the gas tube slides into the trunnion with very secure fitment, which does not need support from the gas block. They did a great job of improving the design in many ways. Notice the differences:

iu

iu

I like the little customized shorties the best, suppressed. I have some designs I drew out long ago that deal with the bad receiver ergonomics near the back of the pistol grip, controls, fore end, MRDS, with suppressor that keep the weight and balance to the rear, but I don’t mess with AKs much so I’ve never pursued it. Rifle Dynamics does most of that stuff now. That shorty in the video was pretty cool.

The best factory AK you can get right now is a polish Beryl rifle in 5.56.

If you want an affordable 7.62x39 blaster, the WASR 10 is what you want.

If you want a true last round bolt hold, the VZ-58 is what you want but that's not an AK, but rather a direct competitor and a middle finger to the russians by the Czechs.

I will steer people away from Galil Aces all day every day. The 556 guns choke the most under duress and the 762x39 guns aren't far behind. The 308 ACE is the only one I've been impressed with.

If you want a gucci AK that is as much a work horse as it is a work of art, get a custom from Evocatus Strategic in Tulsa, OK.

For 7.62x39 magazines, I like the Croatian polymer mags with LRHO built into the followers. They would be nice for a practical blaster so you know when you’ve run dry on that mag. I bought a bunch of those at a LGS on sale for when my kids want to shoot an AK because they thought it was cool.

The most pleasant 7.62x39 experiences I have had have been:

SAKO Rk95 suppressed
Vepr AK-103 suppressed
Arsenal SLR-107 Euro model with Galil style selector suppressed with Finnish BR Tuote fat can

Most 7.62x39 AKs are not fun to shoot, especially AKMs. 5.45x39 guns are pussycats, very friendly to shoot, easy to track on-target, easy to transition target-to-target. Underfolders are the worst, with terrible ergonomics for me at least.