• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to AR-15, seeking advice/guidance/education on ambi rifles

748rpilot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2023
USA
Hey folks, I know this is discussed often and I've read a fair few of the threads but still wound up unsatisfied, so I've come seeking advice (guidance? education?) on picking out my first AR platform rifle. I'm new to semi-auto rifles (but not rifles, or shooting in general) and depth and breadth of AR platform offerings feels daunting.

My main use case for the rifle is first of all, learning to shoot the AR platform and becoming proficient with it standing/kneeling/prone/bench. Then, I'd like to start shooting some practical rifle matches in order to continue evolving. Additionally, I've been wanting to get back into hunting and would like to chase Coyote, Boar and possibly Javelina, likely in that order of frequency. I'm planning to shoot iron sights for the first year or so to help build the foundation.

I shoot left-handed and I can't help but feel that I really want a fully ambidextrous platform, which I think would also be a bonus when shooting matches. I'd also like to buy a higher quality rifle out of the gate, so as to minimize chasing issues or getting caught up in swapping out parts. From my research, I think I'd like to stick with a DI rifle. I figure that most of my shooting will be done between 25 and 200 yards, though I would also like to try reaching out to 400-600 (once I go optics). I place a pretty high emphasis on quality, reliability and accuracy; I want to pick it up and go, not become a rifle surgeon. I'm aware that accuracy is unlikely to match my bolt guns, so that's OK.

Another capability I think I'd like is the ability to swap out barrels and calibers. My thinking here is to primarily use a 16/18" 5.56 for the majority of my shooting but that it'd be nice to upgrade to a 20" 6mm ARC for the extra grunt when chasing Boar or shooting longer distances. Though, I have heard of plenty of success with modern 5.56 loads against Boar so I don't know if I'm being too picky here. Or even a longer barrel in 5.56 when the distances get longer.

Ideally I'd like to keep the budget to $2k for the rifle, throw on some irons and a sling and go to the range. I've been looking at LWRC IC-DI, LMT MARS-L long handguard, Wilson Combat Protector, Seekins NX15/DMR and a couple others. I'm completely open to other options, feel free to suggest a different/better option!
*It seems like the LWRC offers everything I want, except that you cannot swap barrels and from my research, doing so will void the warranty, and at an attractive price.
*The LMT seems to have all the good stuff and I love the MRP idea but it's pretty well out of budget.
*The Seekins NX15 isn't fully ambi but has longer barrel choices available, though I'm unsure of bolts for a caliber change, and the price is good.
*Their DMR allows barrel and caliber changes, but again, isn't fully ambi and I think it might be a touch heavy at 8.25 lbs for doing e.g. practical rifle.

I'm sure I'm really over-thinking this and I'm really just looking for some advice and guidance on anything I'm over thinking or glossing over. Below is a full Pro/Con list for each rifle I'm looking at, show of good faith and all.

Sorry this has been so long, I'm just really trying to think this through and make a good purchase and there is so much out there it's hard to pin down. I really do appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!

LWRC IC-DI M-LOK
Pros
Full ambi controls
MLOK
monoforge upper
6.6lbs
Build quality and reputation
Spiral fluted barrel is cool
Freefloat handguard
Single stage trigger
Cons
Cannot change barrels/caliber

Wilson Combat Protector Carbine
Pros
True lefty available
Build quality & reputation
Heard good things about the barrel
Intermediate Length gas system
MLOK
Full length 12o'clock rail
Good trigger
6lb10oz
Short 6o'clock rail for bipod
Cons
Non-lefty parts compatibility?
Lefty, not ambi
Possible to switch barrels & caliber?
Price --a touch over ideal budget

LMT MARS-L MLOK long handguard
Pros:
MARS / ambi controls
MRP
Can change barrels
Full length 12 o'clock Picitinny; MLOK
7.25lbs
Cons:
Price
Barrel change requires LMT barrel OR custom machine work

FN-15 TAC3
Pros
Price
MLOK
7lb
full free-float barrel
stiffer "anti-rotation" handguard
18" & 20" barrels available in different profiles
Cons:
No ambi controls
trigger (? "MIL-SPEC")
Only in 5.56

Springfield SAINT Edge
Pros
Price
Single stage, flat trigger
MLOK
free-float barrel/handguard
Billet lower
Adjustable gas system
Comes with Irons
Cons:
No ambi controls
Only in 5.56
No longer factory barrels available; I think they take std barrels?
Didn't like the trigger after shooting it

Seekins SP15-DMR
Pros
Factory-wide selection of calibers and barrel lengths
Timney single stage trigger
15" handguard
MLOK
Adjustable gas block
Price
Cons
Weight (~8.2 lbs)
Butt-stock adjustment requires spacers/tools
Not fully ambi

Last edited:
You’re on the right track. Adding ADM rifles is a good idea.
Having 2 rifles, or separate uppers, is really the best solution. Why? Mainly because any BIUS (back up iron sights), red dot, or optic needs to be dedicated to one caliber. Can it be done, yes but it’s a PIA.
Of the rifles listed, Wilson, LWRC, LMT, Seekins as well as ADM are likely to be the most accurate.
I’m guessing you could choose a favorite from your list if pressed. Just go that way and make it easy on yourself. If not, you’ll likely second guess yourself for months. Get a rifle and get going.