• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to AR free float hanguards...

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
I bought a POF USA handguard to go on my 1st AR I put together. I am happy with it, but have a few questions. Are all barrel nuts universal with a free float handguard? Or is the one it came with the only type to use? Also the only thing holding the rail on is a few screws that are just "digging" (for lack of a better term) into the barrel nut. Is that how this thing is supposed to be held on here? Seems like there should be a better way... I mean the rail isn't loose or rattling around. Just doesn't seem like the most reliable system in the world.. Am I over thinking this? Or am I not doing something right? Wish I had a POF upper and the rail would bolt into the top rail of the upper, but now it's just the barrel nut holding it on.. Sorry for the ignorant questions..

Ben

No, not all barrel nuts are universal. For example, Midwest Industries comes with a barrel nut that only works with their rails and Samson Mfg. uses the standard barrel nut. Also, yes you are overthinking it. If its not loose or rattling around then what's to worry about?

I am pretty sure you are stuck with POF barrel nuts and rails unless you buy another upper thats not the proprietary POF design. I'd get rid of that upper personally.

Your questions are not ignorant but should have been ask before you bought that thing.

Well what is the problem with this upper? Or why all the hate towards it? It goes on the stripped upper I bought, it just doesn't bolt to it like it would a POF stipped upper. I am certainly not dead set on just this rail. I'd certainly be interested in finding a free float keymod that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg... Just curious why you guys saying you don't like this rail? I appreciate the input!

Ben

Your questions are not ignorant but should have been ask before you bought that thing.

Almost all the barrel nuts, if not then surely then mount that goes around the nut, is specific to the rail.

I prefer Knights Armament for FF rail systems and accessories; they make some of the best parts on the market and they supply the military --I used a LOT of their stuff when in service and still use it today. They've never let me down and I like the clip in place rail covers that make it feel like a nice FF tube in places the rail isn't used. They make a few different ones, the regular FF tube with rails down it (the M5 and carbine FF?) in a few different lengths, and then they make a few different types of the URX rail, my current favorite for carbines in mid length. There's one with a built in front flip sight, and the rear micro KAC flip sights are some of the best you can buy and deals can be had on Ebay for those. This rail requires a special wrench to install (or have someone do it) but it has a lot of features built in including sockets for QD sling mounts. They make 'em with keymod, regular rails, removable rails, removable panels, etc.

You can find the rifle length FF KAC rail system, the M5? It's the "older" one but it's still in wide use --it's just a different one. Mind you it can have some minor flex at the end if you use a tight leather sling for instance. Otherwise it's great with no problems. I use a couple of them, one on my tack driver.

JP Ent. makes a nice one too, V-Tac? if you want a good tube with slots where you can add rails only where needed. Some of the URX systems are like this too. I'm not sure how well it mounts, as I didn't get one, I got the older KAC instead. PRI makes a nice FF carbon fiber tube that's pretty solid. It's not all that light, at least not the short carbine one I got, but it's very heavy duty and well made looking. The triangular grip feels really nice too and these only have rails where you want them and you can get top rails that connect the upper to the top of the tube to strengthen it more (though this doesn't appear to be necessary with the short carbine one I have). Mine went on VERY tight and I expect no movement. All of the above work with regular mil-spec uppers and even many aftermarket, billet or other uppers like the VLTOR MUR-1.

Daniel Defense got the new contract for the new SPR rifle I think (the fourth one?). It uses a rail that bolts directly onto a special upper receiver designed to accommodate the rail. This method of attachment is likely going to be the most stable and strongest of the bunch, save a one piece upper/forearm maybe (monolithic). Both of these methods will likely cost more than a FF rail system on a mil-spec upper, but I think Rainier Arms has some monolithic uppers for about $600 or so. Mega? And there are other bolt on rails to uppers, I just can't think of them off hand and I don't know how solid they are. The DD is likely gtg though as it's a military part now.

I personally am not a fan of any FF system that just uses a clamp (Olympic Arms) or worse, set screws to hold it down. I can't believe POF does this, who I thought was a higher end manufacturer. I must be missing something... It's gotta thread on first and then use set screws in the right locations to keep it from moving, right?

But I do know that even good rails systems can flex under hard use/abuse. The FF KAC rails, the older ones, and many others too, they can flex at the end and the longer they are the worse it gets (making use of clip on's and lasers, etc., less accurate when held tight with a shooting sling for instance). I don't notice the same flex in the URX systems though, and you shouldn't have any in the one piece or bolt on types.

Interestingly, I don't have any flex in my non-FF KAC rails. While most of the weight is kept to the rear with these, they do affix to the front behind the sight assy. and distribute weight and force along the barrel. Yet when compensated for and good dope and data taken, and accessories left in place once mounted, they tend to be nearly as accurate within a couple MOA, depending. But FF rails will almost always yield tighter groups regardless.

It's certainly worth doing this once and doing it right. Expect a good new rail to set you back $300+ unless you can find one used that's exactly what you're looking for. Look on here and look for sales online. Operations Parts has lots of hard to find KAC stuff if you're interested, and Rainier Arms is always a good place to shop for new and different stuff, all AR dedicated. Bravo Company sometimes has good stuff in stock too.

Good luck. And if you want keymod, look at the KAC URX (there's a keymod version but like with all KAC stuff, all the accessories are extra, so choose wisely) and there are others including monolithics and bolt ons, but I can't speak for how well they work.

I'd ditch it and go with a BCM KMR, Centurion CMR, Geiselle, Daniel Defense Lite, Barnes Precision, or Midwest Industries handguard

Well what is the problem with this upper? Or why all the hate towards it? It goes on the stripped upper I bought, it just doesn't bolt to it like it would a POF stipped upper. I am certainly not dead set on just this rail. I'd certainly be interested in finding a free float keymod that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg... Just curious why you guys saying you don't like this rail? I appreciate the input!

Ben

Why would you want to elevate the rail anyway? Why do you think you can get something for nothing? Quality doesn't come cheap! I prefer the KMR but all of them mentioned by Wahoo are GTG. If I can't afford the best gear I wait until I can. Buy once cry once!

I bought a POF USA handguard to go on my 1st AR I put together. I am happy with it, but have a few questions. Are all barrel nuts universal with a free float handguard? Or is the one it came with the only type to use? Also the only thing holding the rail on is a few screws that are just "digging" (for lack of a better term) into the barrel nut. Is that how this thing is supposed to be held on here? Seems like there should be a better way... I mean the rail isn't loose or rattling around. Just doesn't seem like the most reliable system in the world.. Am I over thinking this? Or am I not doing something right? Wish I had a POF upper and the rail would bolt into the top rail of the upper, but now it's just the barrel nut holding it on.. Sorry for the ignorant questions..

Ben

Ben,
POF rails are indeed proprietary and can only be mounted to POF uppers and barrel nuts exclusively. The design is specific to their system and won't fly on anything else other than a GAP 10 or Hogan rifle. They should, like you mentioned, screw into the top rail of the upper receiver as well as stake into a stabilizing bar that lies over the barrel nut with a pair of set screws followed by a pair of locking screws. If you've installed a POF handguard on a mil spec upper and are tightening the screws into the picatinny rail on the top of said upper, then you definitely want to try and return it. It may not come loose now, but it will in due time and without much effort.

Am I following you correctly? Is my understanding accurate? Would you be able to throw a few pics out there?

Ben,
POF rails are indeed proprietary and can only be mounted to POF uppers and barrel nuts exclusively. The design is specific to their system and won't fly on anything else other than a GAP 10 or Hogan rifle. They should, like you mentioned, screw into the top rail of the upper receiver as well as stake into a stabilizing bar that lies over the barrel nut with a pair of set screws followed by a pair of locking screws. If you've installed a POF handguard on a mil spec upper and are tightening the screws into the picatinny rail on the top of said upper, then you definitely want to try and return it. It may not come loose now, but it will in due time and without much effort.

Am I following you correctly? Is my understanding accurate? Would you be able to throw a few pics out there?

Yes you are following correctly! I found the rail on ebay and didn't know much about it when I ordered. Certainly didn't know it would only fit their uppers.. And I'm certainly not trying to start a great debate. This was my 1st AR and I really didn't know what I was doing, until now. So now I know! Now I'm looking for a 13-15" freefloat keymod. And I am going to do my research and buy quality this time. I really like the BCM KMR and the Noveske NSR. I appreciate the input!

Ben

I knew something wasn't right, lol.

Ill say after owning both the BCM and Noveske Keymod rails, go with the BCM KMR. It was much easier to install and has a piece to keep it aligned with the top rail.

The BCM is one of my favorites, I've come to really like the Midwest Industries SS Keymod Gen 2. Looks pretty solid from the reviews I've seen. Also looks like it has a system to keep both top rails aligned.

Ben

Some people really like their MI rails. I have never been impressed with any of their products, rails included. The BCM, in my opinion, is a much nicer rail and worth a little extra over the MI.

I love my MI. Biggest reason I went with it was because it had the smallest diameter of any handguard, which is a huge plus in my opinion. Another thing to consider with the MI is that it comes with a proprietary wrench. Not all do, which can cost an extra $50 in some cases.

I appreciate the input! I'll certainly do plenty of research before making any decision this time!

Ben