• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to AR15's, recommendations?

remaction

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
SW, WI
My head has been spinning, manufacturers, options, etc. For those with experience with several mfg's, how would you rate Olympic Arms, Armalite, Rock River and Bushmaster for out of the box reliability and accuracy? I kind of have my eye on an Oly, but wonder if I should look used for a JP, etc.? Help!

Re: New to AR15's, recommendations?

Olympic is pretty poor. Look elsewhere.

I only have experience with Armalite AR-10's which are nicely made. Some report their AR-10's having issues. Rock River is very nice and is my go-to company for pretty much all my small parts like Upper receivers, Lower parts kits. Bushmaster is the one rifle I've had the longest. Had a disconnector wear out but that's it. (Well over 10K rounds on it.)

LMT makes a great bolt and carrier.

The one AR I've never reported a failure in is my RRA. It has around 3K rounds through it.

Thanks for the info, I'll check into the RRA and LMT's further.

But be quick and ready to spend the dough... Ar's are drying up..SmokeRolls

get one you can hit with...............

chat up scottmilk9....he is the go-to AR dude

I have heard neg's about Oly. I don't know if you really need custom out of the gate. I personally have RRA and have had great luck with them and the rest out there are all great as well. There are quite afew making them these days and the options available can be pretty overwhelming. Start out with the K.I.S.S motto. Decide what its purpose for you will be and then brake in and see what you like and don't like about what you have. AR-15's are flying out of dealers shops so fast right now with the current political climate so if you find a good one you better jump all over it.

Scottmilk9. If I don't want to wait on a build (currently working on a bolt gun build) and find a new or lightly used LMT, what are your thoughts on that? Spend the extra for the LMT or go with a RRA?

I like my RRA have heard good reports on LMT...

Hey I think that you should look and smith and wesson's M&P line.
I know that all the guys are backed up right now but if you can get your hands on a dpms that would be better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey I think that you should look and smith and wesson's M&P line.
I know that all the guys are backed up right now but if you can get your hands on a dpms that would be better. </div></div>
Seriously?

I have not had good luck with MP15s but DPMS is okay

Sir
depends on what you want to do with the rifle - if you are going to shoot DCM/NM across the course - RRA is good but a smokin' combo is a RRA lower with Giesselle trigger and White Oak Armament upper. Good combo also if you wnat to shoot a match rifle - WOA makes a killer match upper also.

What are you planning to shoot with your new rifle??

Look at these posts, LMT, Smith and Wesson, RRA...Dude you're back at square one, with even more choices to confuse you.

Have you checked out Noveske?

LMT is a fine rifle. You may also want to look at the Daniel Defence DD M4. They are really great rifles and sell for a very fair price. They are ready to go right out of the box!

S&W isnt bad but the barrels are a 1x9 twist I believe and you should look for 1x7 IMHO.

See if you might be able to find a Charles Daly. While they are not really known for ARs they did the AR project right from the start and use very good componets.

Dont buy the Oly or Bushy

LaRue, White Oak, Compass Lake, LMT, RRA (varmint/predator uppers)...who DOESN'T make a good AR these days? Custom is the way to get the absolute best at the best price. Unlike bolt guns, ARs are easy to build yourself and only require about $50 in tools. The barrel and chambering are the most important things impacting accuracy and reliability. Get a top-flight stainless barrel with Wylde chambering and you are good to go.

My opinion, based on M4-style carbine:

First choice- LMT, Colt, BCM, DD

Second- S&W, CDI, Stag

Third- RRA, BM

Fourth- DPMS, Oly

I think Noveske, Larue, and Sabre build nice rifles/uppers, but they generally cost more for things I don't need or want.

This is a sensitive topic for many people, especially when their favorite brand is not seen as #1. If you are looking for a varmint rig, then disregard the above and start over.

Of course, YMMV. It depends on what you want out of this rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remaction</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My head has been spinning, manufacturers, options, etc. For those with experience with several mfg's, how would you rate Olympic Arms, Armalite, Rock River and Bushmaster for out of the box reliability and accuracy? I kind of have my eye on an Oly, but wonder if I should look used for a JP, etc.? Help! </div></div>

The following is my opinion only

1. Top rate:

Noveske, JP, Les Baer, Wilson, LMT, Fulton

2. The standard by which others are judged:

Colt

3. Closely followed by:

Rock River, Armalite, Yankee Hill, Daniel Defense, CMMG, S&W

4. Will get the job done, the Remington 700 of AR15s:

Bushmaster, DPMS

5. Economy

Stag, Olympic Arms, Model 1 Sales

YOU THINK YOU CAN FIND A USED JP? HA!

Choose wisely!

this bolt came from a good company that was riding on it's reputation instead of insuring it's quality of manufacturing.

Broken_Bolt-600x483.jpg

I <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">HIGHLY</span></span> recommend using the LMT "enhanced" bolt and bolt carrier combination.

http://www.lewismachine.net/

If you want to make it easier, get a Robinson Arm. XCR. It will do anything an AR will do, do it more reliably, is easier to clean than the DI AR's, it has an adj. gas system so it works good with all different ammo's and can's, (you can even shut the gas off so it work's like a bolt gun), and the best part... it has an interchangeable barrel / cal. system. You can go from an 18" long range 5.56 rifle to a 12.5" 6.8 SPC door kicker unit in about 3 minutes. It also comes with all the goodies on it, folding stock, railed forarm, gas piston system, folding sights, etc., for less than alot of AR's.
If it's an AR you must have, LWRC & LMT would be my pick's. Everyone should have at least 1 AR, as long as it's a good one.
Good luck in whatever you pick.

I suggest CLE, based on my own experience with Colt, and the advice of several folks I trust. However, these days availability becomes the key problem.

Greg

All,

This is an interesting topic, folks attempting to distinguish between brands which, for the most part, are more about marketing than they are about manufacturing. Since these brands are all assembling, to a degree, firearms from parts coming to them all from just a handful of parts manufacturers, comparing and contrasting brands is not particularly useful, that's to say, it seems that other than a brand's propaganda, most brands taste the same. Like peas in a pod they may look somewhat different; but, in my experience, it seems, most of the brands out there today all shoot a bullet in the direction that they're pointed; and, that may be the only thing that can be said about the category.

Speak to Wes at MSTN.

He will build you a high quality AR, tested for fit and function, out of the best parts available.

nyvji8.jpg

+1 on MSTN. I have an AR I shoot in 3 gun I got from them about 2 years ago. Runs great, zero problems. Wes is great to talk to, really knows ARs.

Well, we've suceeded I getting my head spinning faster. I'm going to go get some more drammamine and rest...

However, there is a lot of good information here for me. I think I want:

A stainless barrel
1-8 or 1-7 twist
A Wylde chamber

Also, LMT is recommended quite often, and it sounds like you guys approve of their bolt carrier group.

As far as use, I was thinking a 16" barrel for close shooting practice, but I know I'll want to stretch it out to longer yardages like my bolt gun shooting. Those two probably don't go well together, but I imagine I can always get a different upper setup for that, right? So perhaps a 9 twist 16" and something later down the road.

I appreciate the input. As usual, everyone has their personal preferences, which is a part of what makes shooting fun, all the choices. I have to go lay down now, everything is starting to spin again.......

I think Sterling Shooter speaks hard truth. In addition to the incredible volume of sales and backorder delays (extended by several manufacturers) it's more about what you can find rather than which brand.

Not speaking to the custom builders of course as that is a seperate kettle o fish. But as to rack grade models as offered by the various manutfacturers, there just aren't very many on dealer's shelves. What few remain are typically 50%-75% more expensive than they were a year ago.

What's available has to be given as much weight as any other factor given the playfulness of our legislators and their supposed reluctance to reinstate an AW ban.

I would not want to order anything with longer than a two week lead time. I don't think anyone is promising anything close to that short a time frame.

Choose from what you can find.

id say +1 on what 500grains said and add that im a cheap old fart but wouldnt go with the oly because i was told its a cast reciever not forged. ive done a few assembly projects with no problems even when mixing and matching using 4 manufacturers that arent high end or unaffordable and i abuse ar's. the four i use in no specific order are rock river, dpms, bushmaster, and doublestar. i would also say that last i knew doublestar and rock river were the family owned and operated not multinational conglomerates. but bushmaster has always treated me right. 2 cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remaction</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, we've suceeded I getting my head spinning faster. I'm going to go get some more drammamine and rest...

However, there is a lot of good information here for me. I think I want:

A stainless barrel
1-8 or 1-7 twist
A Wylde chamber

Also, LMT is recommended quite often, and it sounds like you guys approve of their bolt carrier group.

As far as use, I was thinking a 16" barrel for close shooting practice, but I know I'll want to stretch it out to longer yardages like my bolt gun shooting. Those two probably don't go well together, but I imagine I can always get a different upper setup for that, right? So perhaps a 9 twist 16" and something later down the road.

I appreciate the input. As usual, everyone has their personal preferences, which is a part of what makes shooting fun, all the choices. I have to go lay down now, everything is starting to spin again.......

</div></div>
Get an LMT Lower: good quality at a very fair price. Get a CLE or RRA upper: they both can provide a stainless 1:8 twist barrel with Wylde Chamber

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All,

This is an interesting topic, folks attempting to distinguish between brands which, for the most part, are more about marketing than they are about manufacturing. Since these brands are all assembling, to a degree, firearms from parts coming to them all from just a handful of parts manufacturers, comparing and contrasting brands is not particularly useful, that's to say, it seems that other than a brands propagana, most brands taste the same. Like peas in a pod they may look somewhat different; but, in my experiennce, it seems, most of the brands out there today all shoot a bullet in the direction that they're pointed; and, that may be the only thing that can be said about the catagory. </div></div>
I agree with you and I disagree with you:
AGREE:
1. Stripped uppers and stripped lowers....pretty much the same. This means that logo with a certain company ....just eye candy.
2. Upper parts: dust cover, forward assist....it all works.
3. Bolt carrier: shot-peened, MPI tested, "upgraded"....whatever. Buy a spare for $50 bucks and drive on.
4. Buffer, tube, stock.....get whatever floats your boat.
5. Gas block: aluminum, steel, low profile, front sight....get whatever floats your boat...they all work. LE and Military prefer pinned blocks for absolute bullet-proof reliability, but I'm a Civvy now and use non-pinned blocks so I can swap barrels easy.
DISAGREE:
1. Barrel. There is a huge difference in barrels and chambers. A "mil-spec chrome-lined NATO chambered barrel is not the same as a Krieger, Douglas, Wilson stainless barrel with a Wylde chamber. Get a bolt that has been matched to the barrel for best accuracy. Barrel/bolt/chamber is single most important item for accuracy and reliability.
2. Lower Parts Kit(LPK) there is some real crap out there, spend and extra $20 and get a quality kit from LMT or a few others. Crappy kits impact reliability.
3. Trigger. There are several aftermarket triggers way better than the standard one: Geissele is my pick(if you like a two-stage). Just be careful and don't get a trigger that makes your rifle less reliable...
4. Forearm: there are a wide selection of very different handguards available. This doesn't impact the accuracy or reliability though.
5. Buffer spring. Get a flat wire Tubbs buffer spring. It will last forever and improves reliability. A standard spring wears out.
6. Extractor spring. some are better than others. spend and extra $10 and get a known good extractor spring.
7. Type of gas system: rifle, mid-length, carbine. Rifle system is most reliable and puts the least wear and tear on your system.
Carbine length is least reliable and puts the most wear/tear on your system.

One thing that really amazes me, when someone asks who makes the best precision rifles, most say GAP, KMW, R&D Precision, etc..... nobody says remington, savage.

When someone asks about who has the best AR's, every swinging joe jumps in and says RRA varmint or LMT this or Bushy that.

Why wouldn't you get a customized AR like you would a bolt gun. Economically speaking its still cheaper to get a custom AR the way you want it, compared to buying a factory gun then adding the accessories afterwards.

This isn't a post about come see what I build(i wouldn't mind if you did) but seriously its more about quality guns, not just your bolt guns and your $2500 nighthawk 1911.

I have had no problems with my M&Ps or DPMS rifles. I know several people who shoot the smith and wesson line and love them more than the dpms guns. What rifle did you have problems with? What model? When was it made? Most AR shooters that I have met love their M&P, I know I do.

GOOD POINT,Scott!!! Hey, if you have uppers and lowers in stock right now or AR's ready to ship,say so.I think right now that's a big + for motivated buyers.

Steve

All,

The gun store where I work part-time in Louisville has stocked AR's from at least 12 different manufacturing enities over the last five years since I've been working at the store. Of all sold, less than a handful have come back to the store for service or repair. Interestingly, one of the most highly touted brands mentioned here is one which seems to me to have an alarming amout of QC issues, so much, that we no longer stock the particular brand, having no confidence in it. Still, folks come to the store asking for it, perhaps, from the accolades it gets here.

Scott's point about mfr's and the economics of customs is spot on!

I've spent more on my SPR than if I just had it built from the get-go (but for me the tinkering is half of the hobby), and it ain't all that impressive, and is still a work in progress as my needs are still revealing themselves to me.

Everyone online touts their favorite mfr, but these are mechanical tools. Everyone can have a failure. Just yesterday I was discussing SPR's with someone that has good money in an upper that doubles with the highly touted "enhanced bolt group" on every lower he has, from Geissele triggered ones to mil-spec.

If you want your head to stop spinning, quit asking opinions online and give Scott or another reputable AR builder a call and talk to them about what you want to do with your rifle.

Scooter-PIE had a great point about quality SS tubes and Wylde chambers. That should be the heart of any good upper in my opinion.

Has anybody considered POF?
You can get a complete weapon from them, for what other guys are charging for just the uppers.

Hi,
2nd what dmachine said "Robinson Arm. XCR". I'm ordering one and it was my son that turned me onto it. He has been shooting his own (PWA) AR 16in since he was little.

He is in Afghanistan now and his issue weapon is the M16A2 (MUSKET for short)...lol. Because NO one over there likes it.
cry.gif

He was telling me what types of arms him and his buddies would like to have over there (XCR-6.8)...hehe
laugh.gif

It looks like I will have to pick one up for him to (surprise him).

When he comes home this summer and I wish, I can send it over to him now...

Tony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All,
Interestingly, one of the most highly touted brands mentioned here is one which seems to me to have an alarming amout of QC issues, so much, that we no longer stock the particular brand, having no confidence in it. </div></div>

Can you share which brand it is? I'm in the market for AR and I would like to avoid troubles.

Get a Colt 6920, and you're good to go, no mods necessary.

Juliano, POF is top notch quality. They have a wait time like the rest of us. We just did a group buy for their 308 lowers. Any other questions, feel free to email me.

In response to:
Poster: Alaskaman 11
Subject: Re: New to AR15's, recommendations?

Wilson, they are about the best out there

About the best out there? Try Les Bear they are the best out there!

POF
noveske
LMT
or have wes at mstn build it, he WILL give you the best

I will admit I have a short attention span and did not read the whole thread word for word, but I didn't see where anyone asked you how much you want to spend. What is your budget? There are quite a few good AR builders out there and there are a few very bad builders out there. I own my own shop and we sell most of the major builders guns. I have seen good and bad from most. The biggest thing to know if what you want and how much you can afford to spend. What is your intended use?

The gun store where I work part-time in Louisville has stocked AR's from at least 12 different manufacturing enities over the last five years since I've been working at the store. Of all sold, less than a handful have come back to the store for service or repair. Interestingly, one of the most highly touted brands mentioned here is one which seems to me to have an alarming amout of QC issues, so much, that we no longer stock the particular brand, having no confidence in it. Still, folks come to the store asking for it, perhaps, from the accolades it gets here. </div></div>

Ok, so which brand of AR-15 does your store no longer carry?

I personally had problems in Iraq with a Bushmaster failing to feed (repeatedly). The rifle was kept very clean but to no avail. I switched to an AK-47 and ran up and down Route Irish with not one malfunction the entire rest of my tour. That AK was heavy and not accurate for beans, but it NEVER failed to fire.

Those XCR rifles sure look good and sound bomb proof. That would be a nice rifle to have in the Armory.

Nah, I think I have it all down now....
smile.gif
I have an idea of the good vs the other brands. Lowers, uppers, barrels, triggers, etc. Everyone's opinions have helped in the process. It also appears there is an "always functions" vs accuracy in regards to how tight a gun is built based on discussions with others.

Budget? Depends on what I find. I'd rather pay $1,700+ vs $1,000 if the parts are right and the gun is accurate and reliable.

Use? Target shooting. Not too many bad guys around here. Nothing a shotgun near the nightstand can't handle.

Considered building you're own? You really don't need much as far as tools goes and its very easy. You will get exactly what you want, you won't have to compromise or go searching night and day to find a company that makes exactly what you want.

ar15.com has a good set of guides on how to do it. I really regret not building my own earlier, it is rewarding, and satisfying to shoot something you assembled yourself.