• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to AR's magazine for 6.5 Grendel

tilman2141

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2022
Kentucky
I'm in the midst or purchasing an Anderson AR Pistol in 7.62x39 with 7.5" barrel. I'm changing barrel out to 6.5 Grendel and can you use a standard magazine for a 308, 7.62, 300 BO, for the grendel or will it not feed correctly

There are at least 4 different magazines used for the chamberings mentioned in your post, depending on what you mean by ‘7.62’.

There are at least 4 different magazines used for the chamberings mentioned in your post, depending on what you mean by ‘7.62’.
7.62x39. I like the Hexmag magazines but they don't show the 6.5 Grendel as a caliber for their magazines. can they still be used.

Some people have success with the Grendel case in 7.62x39 ar15 mags. But, Grendel mags are something of a crap shoot. I’ve had good success with ASC Grendel mags, and nothing but trouble from Alexander Arms/Elander 6.5 Grendel mags. Some report the opposite. Others still say c products are good, or trash. What everyone seems to agree on is that standard 5.56 at mags are a no-go for the Grendel.

ASC and Duramag/C-Product Defense 6.5 Grendel specific magazines have worked pretty well for me. Others have had less than great experiences with ASC mags. Elander seems to be recommended by many.

Reactions: Devildog6.5G
Add me to the camp of failed E-Lander users. The 24rd EL mags worked for the first few outings, but shooting suppressed gummed them up quick and I didn't like the uncertainty of the mags working or the idea of needing to clean them after every range trip.

On a whim, I loaded up one of the 28/29rd ASC 7.62x39 mags I've had for over a decade and it ran great. These mags have been used extensively on a suppressed 7.5" 7.62x39 AR upper in semi and full auto and just keep chugging along. I know ASC and CPD have changed hands a few times over the years, so banking on current production mags running exactly like one that's 14+ years old in a crap shoot. I'd pick up a single mag from E-Lander (24rd), CPD (26rd), and ASC (25rd) and see which your rifle/ammo combo likes before ordering a dozen. You could also just limit yourself to the lower capacity (<20rd) mags as they seem to be far less finnicky from gun to gun.

C-Products Defense/DuraMag stainless mags will be your best bet. Been using them in my 6.5 Grendel for a very long time, and never had a single issue.

My mag collection is primarily ASC, and I just take new ones apart, smooth rough feed lips of any seeming burrs or flash from stamping process and also drop recess at front of mag to eliminate any contact during feed cycle. Function 100% when complete.

My mag collection is primarily ASC, and I just take new ones apart, smooth rough feed lips of any seeming burrs or flash from stamping process and also drop recess at front of mag to eliminate any contact during feed cycle. Function 100% when complete.
☝️I second this. I have had great luck with all of my ASC mags doing the same. I have never tried them without modification, but my 20 round duramags aren't modified and run well. Just using a dremmel lightly on feed lips and shaving down the front a tad has worked for me.