• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Biking - Need Advise on Bike to Buy

Former0302

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Baltimore County
But since I can't really run right now, want to get a bike to keep in shape. I know almost nothing about bikes.

Not sure if I should get a mountain bike or a hybrid, leaning towards a mountain bike with a spare set of "road" wheels I can pop in.

Most of my riding (80% or so) will be on an old rail line made into a crushed gravel hike and bike trail. Occasionally on steeper, more challenging trails. I like the idea of having something I could take on the street if I wanted to though.

Budget is around $1K.

Appreciate any opinions / suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Re: New to Biking - Need Advise on Bike to Buy

I'd start with a mountain bike and work on baseline conditioning. More comfortable. If you want to roll faster, get a set of slick or hybrid tires for the mountain bike. If you decide you love the sport and want to ride even faster, then buy a road bike too. I've got a couple of each. Some days you feel like riding dirt and some days you don't.

I second the mountain bike suggestion. Get the best hardtail you can find in your price point. Getting a second set of wheels is also a good idea. You'll ride smoother, quieter and faster on the road with a set of slicks. Of course, if you like that, you'll have to get a road bike. I always try to discourage people from getting hybrids. You should be able to get a really decent hardtail in the $1K range.

All good advise from everyone. Mountain bike for sure. A good bike shop will be able to recommend a good entry level ride. Make sure they "fit" you to the bike, meaning correct frame size, seat height, etc.If you haven't ridden much before, stay away from the clip on pedal/shoe cleat thing for awhile.You can always upgrade components as you get into it.

Giant, specialized or cannondale are best options at that price. They get better pricing on components because of their quantity. Mountain biking is great cardio!

I've been biking for a long time and have gone from a mountain bike, to a hybrid, to a road bike, to a tri bike, and have come full circle back to a mountain bike. Mountain bike is definately the way to go. Stick to a hardtail and the slick tires are a great idea.

like above, get the best hardtail you can afford... there is a website/ forum that you can find reviews/$/ what shops have it