• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new to bolt action.need opinion

luckyshot27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2012
sf,ca
was kinda looking for a remmy 5r or 700p. which one is better? 308 vs 300wm? i already have a ar10 and shoot from 1-600 yards.planning on finding somewhere to shoot 600+. would the 300wm be a better choice? sorry im asking too many questions at once.

Re: new to bolt action.need opinion

The 5r is a very nice rifle. Either caliber will shoot those distances, naturally with a ballistic edge to the magnum. Pros and Cons. Plenty to read up on there lol.

The 308 will help you improve your skills and be cheaper to run. It will make you call the wind better and may allow you to shoot better because of less recoil. If you are wanting a workhorse to train with, then I would pick the 308 (or a similar caliber, maybe a 260 or similar).

BUT the fact that you have an ar10 does make the 300 mag appealing, especially if you are wanting something new. If you are planning to go LONG, I would lean to the 300, but I don't think you NEED it until you really get out there a bit. For me, shooting the bigger mags do take a toll at a long range session... but that is just me.

Really just think out what you would like to do, goals/objectives, and I think that will help everyone give you better advice. Ie, hunting possible, ELR shooting, practical competition, training, cost concerns.

thanks for replying 331v8. i think i like the 5r better.does the 700p have the 5r rifling too? i dont think im going to shoot 600-1k all the time.probably a later thing to do once in awhle.i do mostly bench shooting. hmmm still dont know about the caliber.i already reload for 308. if i go with the 300,then i gotta buy all the dies.ect..damm..should i wait till christmas time to buy since they might have sales?does buds have sale?any reccomendation on where to buy?

If you are going to stay inside of 1000yds than a 308 is all that you are going to need. You can even stretch a 308 further if you wanted. I would say since you have the setup in regards to reloading for the 308 stick to that.

I would suggest looking into the AAC-SD. It was my choice when it came down to brass tactics. For what I wanted to do (500-1000 yds, suppress eventually, shoot competitions) the rifle fills all my needs. The stock rifle actually comes in less than both the 700p and 5R in terms of initial cost but you will need to invest in a stock or chassis system. Just MHO.

I was in your shoes a year ago. I went with 5R in 308 and could not be happier. Its a great starting platform. I took the Magpul pr1 class last month and had zero problems going out to a thousand yards. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I too would go the 308 route, but not just because it's what you need. Let's face it, shooting for most of us is for fun, not need. The 308 will offer a very long barrel life, lower recoil, and shorter cool down times, with more rounds fired before getting as hot as the 300. Plus it cost a little less to shoot. The 5R is a fine choice. If you spend real time at 1K with a 308, then your skills will improve. I have both, and the 300 spends its life in the safe, because I only get to go long 2 to 3 times a year. Best of luck

Definitely there with you guys. I shoot 223 and 308 more than anything. I have a few other fun options but they just don't get out as much.

Lucky, I shoot in a pretty similar situation. I have easy access to around 600 yards, and every now and then get to go further. 69 and 77 smks out of the 223 work great on steel at those distances, so even heavy 223 bullets can do a pretty good job. Fist sized groups are pretty common.

Just about every time I go to shoot the 308 and 223 go. Out to 600 yards the 308 will tag the steel pretty easily (mags or better bc bullets are even easier of course). Those two just get the most use simply because they cost less than that 338, 6.5, or 7 AND get the job done.

You mentioned you are already set up to load 308. For me, that is a big consideration. Keep it simple when you can, ya know?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luckyshot27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was kinda looking for a remmy 5r or 700p. which one is better? 308 vs 300wm?</div></div>For what purpose? If you don't specify what use you intend for the rifle it's almost impossible to give you meaningful advice.

thanks for all the great advice everyone.i mainly shoot paper and maybe in the future go hunting.thought hard about it and im going to stick with 308.going to try and get better before i move up in caliber.and save me a few$$$ from buying dies,brass,ect..thanks again everyone

does buds have xmas sales?or should i just buy it now? not in a rush but i dont want the price to go up.