• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to bolt action rifles and looking to get a AI AT, should I go with 308WIN or 6.5Creed Moore?

Sniper8

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2020
Houston
Based on my research, 6.5 creed moore wears down the barrel faster than the 308, and I feel like that's something that will bother me mentally after buying such an expensive gun. Just wanted to know y'all's thoughts on this. Also, assuming money isn't an issue, is the AX worth the extra $2500?

6,5 Creedmoor is still good for 2-2500 rounds, and you're worried about an $800 prefit barrel but you have the extra 2500$ for the AX?

I wouldn't let barrel life make the calibre selection for me. You're gonna end up with a second calibre anyways because barrel swaps are so easy.

6,5 Creedmoor is still good for 2-2500 rounds, and you're worried about an $800 prefit barrel but you have the extra 2500$ for the AX?

I wouldn't let barrel life make the calibre selection for me. You're gonna end up with a second calibre anyways because barrel swaps are so easy.

How much more accurate is the 6.5 vs. 308, assuming highly skilled shooter and under same conditions?

OKay, I'm sold on 6.5. If I'm gonna buy a AI, it's for it's accuracy. Why not go with the best long range cartridge to complement it.

Does having a threaded barrel affect it's accuracy at all? I don't plan on putting a silencer on this thing.

This baffles me. How did you come across AI rifles but your asking these questions???

you will want it threaded for a muzzle brake might as well get most recoil reduction as possible

Sorry, I'm new to bolt action, just want to get the best out there right off the bat.

Will it work? Technically yes BUT at minimum if 15x you will have a hard time.

I’d rather have a 3-18 then that. Most people are shooting 5-25 power scopes or the 7-35 NF is a bad mofo.

I bought an AIAT in June from Euro Optics, ask for Keefer, and ask for a Snipers Hide discount..........not a lot, but a few hundred dollars.........

I bought a .308, but am now looking for a 6.5 barrel because it is a flatter shooting, and a longer range caliber..........best of both worlds............

And your scope is good to go.........pick a mount.....

Reactions: mensajd
My 6.5 CM Begara HMR Pro with a VG6 Gamma brake is pretty much exactly like shooting my 223 bolt action.
My 308 Savage 12FV with the same brake is like shooting a 243 bolt action, maybe a wee tidily bit worse.

It's a terrible idea to buy an AI for your first gun. Get a Begara HMR Pro like I have and be as happy as a clam out the door for $1700 at worst.

Or wait until Black Friday and see if American Rifle Company does another sweet deal on their package for $2K.

My 6.5 CM Begara HMR Pro with a VG6 Gamma brake is pretty much exactly like shooting my 223 bolt action.
My 308 Savage 12FV with the same brake is like shooting a 243 bolt action, maybe a wee tidily bit worse.

It's a terrible idea to buy an AI for your first gun. Get a Begara HMR Pro like I have and be as happy as a clam out the door for $1700 at worst.

Or wait until Black Friday and see if American Rifle Company does another sweet deal on their package for $2K.

Wtf are you talking about?

AI-AT is just about the perfect beginner rifle. It’s set up to run all the time without any mag tweaking or messing with actions screws or anything else.

No barrel vice or any type of knowledge for changing barrels.

Trigger won’t go light enough to develop bad habits. The two stage forces you to marry your finger. And it breaks clean, so it won’t have you at much of a disadvantage.

Stock is what it is. So no second guessing your setup when you should be focusing on learning.

If a beginner can afford the rifle without sacrificing other things like training and practice ammo, it’s a no brainer.

Wtf are you talking about?

AI-AT is just about the perfect beginner rifle. It’s set up to run all the time without any mag tweaking or messing with actions screws or anything else.

No barrel vice or any type of knowledge for changing barrels.

Trigger won’t go light enough to develop bad habits. The two stage forces you to marry your finger. And it breaks clean, so it won’t have you at much of a disadvantage.

Stock is what it is. So no second guessing your setup when you should be focusing on learning.

If a beginner can afford the rifle without sacrificing other things like training and practice ammo, it’s a no brainer.

Opinions are like assholes...

• Haha
Reactions: Loner and Heffo
buy once cry once... if you got the money might as well that way you know its you and not the equipment when you miss :p after you get used to it & the ZCO optic you can upgrade the chassis to a accuracy obsession.
PS I love spending other peoples money

Last edited:

Define terrible. What would be wrong with the AI? Is it just money?

Are you sure about that? Red White & Blue @DarnYankeeUSMC !!!!
1605236728747.png
1605236831888.png

Last edited:
^^^ luckily I sold my fully decked out Savage for only couple hundred bucks less then I paid for it. I learned Savage is junk within 400 rounds and won’t go back.

Reactions: SigeliteSPR
Sniper8 is doing it right -- Wish I had done the same.

Buying an AI first would have saved me a lot of money -- Seems strange to say that buying one of the most expensive rifles will save you money. However, those who have done what I have (and I know there are a lot of us) will agree.

Get the AI and worry about a different scope later. The scope you already have will work just fine, until you realize you want something else (which you likely will). However, since you already have that scope, just use it and enjoy the rifle.

Reactions: SigeliteSPR
One more thought -- You could probably sell the used NF and have enough to buy a new Razor Gen II or a Leupold Mark 5 -- Both of which would suit the rifle better.

Contact Scott at Liberty Optics -- He will set you up

I don't think I ever shoot below 15x on my rifles that have more magnification. So id guess location could dictate if you need a different scope.

The AI out of the gate would have saved me $$$ as well. I ended up there anyways.

The thing is ... I had never heard of AI when I bought my first rifle.

id look around and see if you can find any ammo in your area and make my derision based off what you can get . while I do love the 6.5 creedmoor and I think god smiles just a little more down on me when i get to shoot it , getting any ammo that's not 36 .something per box of 20 is really hard and yea it cuts the wind better than the 308 , but if you can't get it what good does it do you and you might learn more with the 308 . My 308 will do anything that my 6.5 will do it was just cheaper for my to learn on and with so when i could get the 6.5 I had slightly more understanding mind you only slightly more as I still have tons more to get into my concrete block of a mind .then again Id take my 22lr at the present time as more and more people are shooting 1k with it and god knows 22lr is cheaper than either the 308 and 6.5 and easier to find by far . which means I can practice 4x's as much and more productive trigger time is always a good thing in my mind . Well good luck which ever you decide to get I hope its everything you wanted and more its bound to be fun at any rate .

Last edited:
Reactions: pfl338
id look around and see if you can find any ammo in your area and make my derision based off what you can get . while I do love the 6.5 creedmoor and I think god smiles just a little more down on me when i get to shoot it , getting any ammo that's not 36 .something per box of 20 is really hard and yea it cuts the wind better than the 308 , but if you can't get it what good does it do you and you might learn more with the 308 . My 308 will do anything that my 6.5 will do it was just cheaper for my to learn on and with so when i could get the 6.5 I had slightly more understanding mind you only slightly more as I still have tons more to get into my concrete block of a mind .then again Id take my 22lr at the present time as more and more people are shooting 1k with it and god knows 22lr is cheaper than either the 308 and 6.5 and easier to find by far . which means I can practice 4x's as much and more productive trigger time is always a good thing in my mind . Well good luck which ever you decide to get I hope its everything you wanted and more its bound to be fun at any rate .
6.5 CM was just about the last thing to run out around here. 308 was gone way before that.

Reactions: trdjohn
OP,
Call mile high shooting. Get the 6.5, threaded. You will end up with a can or at least a muzzle break.
Consider upgrading to the folding AX butt stock.

If I could go back, this is the rifle I would have bought first, no doubt.

Immediately after ordering, book a precision rifle class from Rifles only or Frank and Mark or Altus or K&M.

You will be far ahead and save wasted time and money and avoid buyer's remorse.

Reactions: Rory_Fritz
I cant think of a single reason why getting an AI especially a AT, as a first gun is a bad idea.

Knowing the small amount i know now back then,i could have saved thousands...

Barrel is toast? get a new one in the mail. Loosen screw, old stick out, new stick in, QD screw back to 50 ish inch pounds... go shoot again.

If you stay with 6.5 CM there is NO, I MEAN, NOOO magazine footwork to learn. None, zip, nada. The mags are a non issue and sorry, you build, you open yourself to that.

Reliable trigger. Too heavy? AI makes a lighter comp trigger.

60 deg throw is a train, get on it.

Did i tell you about the mags? they top load too.

A lot of people like myself end up selling half the crap in their safe to finance an AI. So if you can afford it, go for it.

However I'd highly recommend taking a course or two first as the experience will pay for itself instead of wasting money on ammo and gear.

Gunwerks have a pretty comprehensive beginner's course online. Worth having a look.

Also start listening to their podcast as well as The everyday sniper.

Reactions: Rory_Fritz
A lot of people like myself end up selling half the crap in their safe to finance an AI. So if you can afford it, go for it.

However I'd highly recommend taking a course or two first as the experience will pay for itself instead of wasting money on ammo and gear.

Gunwerks have a pretty comprehensive beginner's course online. Worth having a look.

Also start listening to their podcast as well as The everyday sniper.
The Everyday Sniper is frank...the guy who runs this forum...and also has classes all over the country

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
you should probably graduate middle school before buying an AI

If you are legally allowed to own a firearm while somehow still taking middle school level courses my advise would still be that an AI is a great beginner gun while at the same time stressing the importance of reading the manual twice instead of just once.

• Love
Reactions: Huskydriver
Get an AT. I’m either going to sell or trade my Bighorn custom and maybe a few other things for an AT.

I just bought the below:

Also got this: https://www.eurooptic.com/Accuracy-International-AT-20-MOA-Low-Action-Rail-26981.aspx

I asked them for a quote and they took off about $420ish from the website price. Could someone recommend me a mount to attach my NF scope to the picatinny rail?

you should probably graduate middle school before buying an AI

Why the rudeness?

Last edited:
Reactions: VargmatII
Reactions: Beezer911
Mile High has Hornady ELD-M 140s in stock, I was just in there.