• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to building and reloading

Dennis5374

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2022
Upstate New York
So after some debate , I finally decided to start building a few rifles. One is a stand rifle , that will serve as a bench rifle for elr , the other a lightweight hunting rifle .

I picked up a Remington 700 ss dm bdl LA 300 win mag . I installed a mdt oryx chassis , a vortex viper gen 2 pst 5-25x50 ebr 4 optic . I’m ordering a bipod soon but not sure which way to land for versatility in hunting and bench rest .

My plan is to have a zermatt action done , as well as a 29” pre fit shouldered barrel with a fat b@st@rd on the end . I plan to rebarrel to 300 prc , after running the 300wm ammo I have on the shelf . I’m looking to start getting serious about long range shooting , as i find it extremely enjoyable to pull a trigger , and hear “ting “ 2.5+ seconds later 🤷🏽‍♂️

Does anybody have any experience with the above mentioned components ? Any recommendations ?

Im also building my tikka t3x in 6.5CM . I plan to run a mdt hnt26 carbon chassis on this rifle , as well as a Burris eliminator 6 , for being able to range and have the optic do the work for me. In all honesty I feel like the only thing this rifle needs is a good chassis / stock . I’ve put .5 moa groups out with it , in factory form with a vortex viper 4-16x50 hst optic , with federal terminal ascent ammo !

I’m going to include some pictures of my rifles , as well as some reloading stuff a friend of mine has that I can acquire for cents on the dollar , to see if you guys can possibly lead me in the right direction and get started down this long “expensive” path 😂

I can get the presses for 50 bucks a piece , the dies for my current chamber 300 wm for 50 dollars “bnib”

I’m not sure what the primers are worth or Forster case trimmer . Lmk if any of this is worth snagging for a beginner who has no clue on where to begin as far as reloading goes !

I also have a bergara action that I want to send out to be restored to its former glory before our house fire . Or to at least find out if it’s worth restoring .. there is a picture of the action. The rifle still shot sub moa with a warped barrel from the fire believe it or not .

Attachments

• IMG_0666.jpeg
    IMG_0666.jpeg
    536.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0667.jpeg
    IMG_0667.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0662.jpeg
    IMG_0662.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0659.jpeg
    IMG_0659.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0661.jpeg
    IMG_0661.jpeg
    462.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0657.jpeg
    IMG_0657.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0658.jpeg
    IMG_0658.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0656.jpeg
    IMG_0656.jpeg
    445.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0655.jpeg
    IMG_0655.jpeg
    469.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 53
Looks like you’re off to a nice start. Yes, it’s very rewarding to hear the impact on steel at distance, kind of a drug for me personally.

Those appear to be Lee presses. I have not had good experiences with Lee presses, namely the cheap shackles breaking and the ram shaft deviating from its intended path, resulting in broken decapping pins in dies.

I like the RCBS Rockchucker or Forster Co-Ax much better.

For precision rifle, you want a press that will be very solid and won’t have mechanical problems leading do damage of your dies and eccentric cartridges.

Reactions: Dennis5374
I recently built a 300PRC off a Zermatt Origin with a PVA 26” M24 barrel. It is shooting great only 50 rounds in with Retumbo, ADG Brass, CCI LRM primers, and 230 A-tips.

Regariding presses, I started loading off a Lee. It will work for sure. It being used now by my dad. I switched to a Rockchucker. It has runout that allows me to load Base to Ogive with bullets within 0.001” versus the Lee which data shows is within 0.003”. I am emotionally attached to the Lee so made my dad promise to give it back when he is done, it is a solid unit.

I really like the Redding dies that allow me to set neck tension with bushings.

You may quickly find that you want some better glass on your rifle. Keep an eye on the PX for good used deals!

Enjoy the rig!

Attachments

• 253D9754-C961-4C7B-9779-2AB4290F61EC.jpeg
    253D9754-C961-4C7B-9779-2AB4290F61EC.jpeg
    774.7 KB · Views: 20
I'd get a better press from what you posted. I like my old Rock Chucker from RCBS, lots of better options. LEE to me is like Walmart...

Good luck!

If the Burris Eliminator is going on a hunting rifle you should check the hunting regulations for the area you hunt to make sure it is allowed.
Range finding as well as thermal rifle scopes are allowed here . It’s amazing that some places would have a rule not allowing a rangefinding scope with smart holdovers .

I recently built a 300PRC off a Zermatt Origin with a PVA 26” M24 barrel. It is shooting great only 50 rounds in with Retumbo, ADG Brass, CCI LRM primers, and 230 A-tips.

Regariding presses, I started loading off a Lee. It will work for sure. It being used now by my dad. I switched to a Rockchucker. It has runout that allows me to load Base to Ogive with bullets within 0.001” versus the Lee which data shows is within 0.003”. I am emotionally attached to the Lee so made my dad promise to give it back when he is done, it is a solid unit.

I really like the Redding dies that allow me to set neck tension with bushings.

You may quickly find that you want some better glass on your rifle. Keep an eye on the PX for good used deals!

Enjoy the rig!
Down the road I’d like to upgrade . The sightron sv 10-50x60 was a much better optic , but for the price tag on my vortex , I can’t complain . I did check out a nightforce at the same time as the viper pst gen 2 , and I didn’t care for the eye relief on it . Something about it didn’t sit well with me . I’ve made some pretty long shots on steel with a viper hst 4-16x50 as well , but it’s more geared for hunting around my area .

Reactions: NHPiper
Looks like you’re off to a nice start. Yes, it’s very rewarding to hear the impact on steel at distance, kind of a drug for me personally.

Those appear to be Lee presses. I have not had good experiences with Lee presses, namely the cheap shackles breaking and the ram shaft deviating from its intended path, resulting in broken decapping pins in dies.

I like the RCBS Rockchucker or Forster Co-Ax much better.

For precision rifle, you want a press that will be very solid and won’t have mechanical problems leading do damage of your dies and eccentric cartridges.
One is a Lee and the other is a Lyman all American

If the Burris Eliminator is going on a hunting rifle you should check the hunting regulations for the area you hunt to make sure it is allowed.

Is that because of the illuminated reticle?

I guess one could always take the battery out when hunting if need be.

I have an illuminated reticle in my viper pst gen 2 also . I’ve never heard of such a thing - but I’m sure some wild laws exist . Usually we’re the laughing stock of them up here in New York 😂

I have an illuminated reticle in my viper pst gen 2 also . I’ve never heard of such a thing - but I’m sure some wild laws exist . Usually we’re the laughing stock of them up here in New York 😂

Some states have a law that you can't hunt with an illuminated reticle. I'm not sure which ones off the top of my head which ones those are though.

Some states have a law that you can't hunt with an illuminated reticle. I'm not sure which ones off the top of my head which ones those are though.
The fact that it’s a smart scope zx and allows multiple profiles for ballistics etc and takes into consideration all your weather data - and is also 1/8 moa per click - has me interested big time . Not only that but it has the profile of a normal rifle scope ! I love the holdover system and most people who have reviewed it have nothing but great things to say about it .

Reactions: kthomas
One is a Lee and the other is a Lyman all American
I would jump on the Lyman for $50 and maybe pass on the Lee, unless he wanted to use it for priming.

I’m weird in that I love using the Lee press for priming, even though I was taught to prime with a hand tool. I hate priming with hand tools for some reason.

I was sizing a bunch of .308 on the Lee press when one of the linkage arms cracked in half. The cast metal is really weak and susceptible to stretching.

I think it has more to do with the scopes ability to present a different hold. i.e. POA

I hadn't heard of illuminated reticle being a problem.

Reactions: kthomas
Got myself a nice case , after years of using soft cases for all my rifles . It’s heavy but it keeps everything locked up tight , with plenty of room for magazines , ammo etc .

Attachments

• IMG_0691.jpeg
    IMG_0691.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 18