• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New to bushing dies - Help!

JDLawrence3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2021
Lincoln, DE
I am new to using bushing dies. I understand how to figure out what bushing size I need, but do I still need to use a FL sizing die for any reason? Does the bushing die bump the shoulder back? Do I need to use both? Thanks in advance.

I probably should have added that I have RCBS Matchmaster dies.
Screenshot_20221230_100517_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
So run a full length die, followed by neck sizing die? Then primer, powder, projectile, seating die?

Well I already have the full length bushing die set pictured above. Just curious if that will do it all in one step.

When I was sorting out my loading process for my 6.5CM rifle back in 2017, a lot of advice centered around neck sizing with a bushing to set the neck tension. So I played around with different sizes of bushing dies from .289 to .291 until I got what I thought was the right neck tension. Then after a few firings I was having a hard time closing the bolt and realized the neck die wasn’t bumping my shoulder back, so I bought a shoulder bump die w/ bushing. The rifle liked it so I stuck to that process for the last 5 years.

Fast forward to present day, I switched rifles and caliber to 6GT this fall. Being new to the caliber I did a bunch of reading to see what people were recommending. Nowadays it seems like full length sizing is the way to go, so that’s what I bought with the die set to .266 neck OD. But this time I also got a mandrel die and have been using that to set neck tension (.002 to .003” less than the bullet dia). My 6GT rifle seems to like what I’m loading up, so that’s my my process now.

That die is a full length sizing die and bushing die in one. Set it to bump your shoulder back what you like while the correct bushing is installed and you are good to go.