• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk New to competition questions

absoldati

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2017
I am seeking info as to which class of long range and precision shooting I should choose based on my equipment. I have been very intrigued with the long range or precision rifle competitions, and I am really trying to get into some competitions for next year. I have a Ruger Precision Rifle Gen 2 in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Timney trigger, Harris Bipod, NightForce SHV 5-20x56 scope with moa reticle and moa turrets. My question is which class would my rifle qualify for, and would moa work in PRS series matches or not?

You would be in the Open class I believe. In the club series you can shoot anything .30 cal or less and 3,200 FPS or less. Some matches might have more restrictions based on caliber and velocity because of their specific situation. Your setup is perfectly suited for shooting in open class matches. I would suggest going to the PRS web page and signing up for a free account and select the club series region that you are in. The club series matches are generally short, laid back, cheap, and a great way to learn.

In the Precision Rifle Series, there are 3 division options, and based on your description, your setup would put you in the Open division. If you put the stock trigger back in, you may qualify for the Production division, but you want to make sure your scope is on the approved list. Tactical is the 3rd option, but that's limited to .308 only.

You're fine with an moa reticle.

You would be in open, as are nearly all competitors. Tactical 223/308 the only exception. Production division doesnt really exist to be honest, only had 15 folks in it and that division isnt allowed in the finale. Although I read today that 'select' production members may get invited. Shoot open and dont worry about it my suggestion. I have shot same rifle this year in PRS. As season ends I will have shot over 15 club matches and five 2 day PRS matches. Message me any questions if you have them. Your rifle is more than capable of getting you started in PRS. No question.

Dan

Since nobody mentioned it... 95% of the shooters at whichever match you decide to attend will be using scopes with mil reticles and mil turrets. You will hear them calling out corrections for each other, but it won't mean much to you if you are using MOA.

just my .02

Since nobody mentioned it... 95% of the shooters at whichever match you decide to attend will be using scopes with mil reticles and mil turrets. You will hear them calling out corrections for each other, but it won't mean much to you if you are using MOA.
That is true.

But what is also true is that other people's wind calls won't mean much to you (even if they are using the same units you use) unless you know that the cartridge they're shooting has very similar ballistics to yours.

Maybe that's not much of an issue for the OP in PRS since most people are shooting a 6.5 something-or-other. Might be an issue for someone shooting 223/308. Just something to be aware if you're new.